Say Yes to Heaven

Music Video Premiere: "Love"

Or maybe using actual friends in the video (which I learned from her live stream) put constraints on her

So the people weren't entirely chosen by the casting director Kinga Burza? There were some faces familiar with Lana?

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

Due to my kid getting a bilateral ear infection, I finally got the chance today at work to listen to this properly without an infant squalling over it.

Space is what makes this song work, to the extent that it does. And I'm not talking about the galactic kind cars float through in the video. The entire strength of the song rests on the anticipation created by the sparseness of the arrangment-- lazily unnecessary and unnecessarily lazy Emile flourishes aside. (What the hell do the gun sounds have to do with anything?) For me, the highlight of the production is the brilliantly simple but effective use of that xylophone or chime sound or whatever accenting the first of each of those note pairs. But overall, the song is not particularly inspired (in Lana voice) lyrically, melodically, or structurally. I suspect the song title was truncated to dampen the obvious comparison to "Young & Beautiful" as it is not too surprisingly, given Rick's involvement, reminiscent of Nowels leaks-era production. I am surprised by how much, erm, love it's been getting from pop music critics typically cool to Lana. But maybe all it takes is production that mostly gets out of the way for people to appreciate the loveliness of her voice, however reverb-drenched.

As for the video, while I still don't think it completely works, it is the anti-Tropico. Like Elvis, Marilyn, and John Wayne in the garden of Eden, classic cars floating in space is the essence of Lana's aesthetic distilled, what with her love of things vintage, SpaceX and Tesla and all, but it's not as heavy-handed, and doesn't scream bloated budget (though it may have been) or self-indulgent as much as Tropico. (I think Tropico would have worked better as three distinct music videos.) And thank the heavens there's no fucking monologue on this celestial jukebox this time around.

As a first taste of the album, it's no "West Coast" or "Honeymoon". To be honest, I'm a bit concerned by her bringing a bigger pop producer on board in Benny Blanco and her comment that she made her previous albums for herself and this one is "for the fans". I don't at all hate it-- I'm just underwhelmed-- but I'm crossing my fingers "Love" is a bit of a head-fake the way HBTB was, because if this is going to be the direction of the entire album, this longtime fan would probably prefer she go back to making music for herself.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Due to my kid getting a bilateral ear infection, I finally got the chance today at work to listen to this properly without an infant squalling over it.

Space is what makes this song work, to the extent that it does. And I'm not talking about the galactic kind cars float through in the video. The entire strength of the song rests on the anticipation created by the sparseness of the arrangment-- lazily unnecessary and unnecessarily lazy Emile flourishes aside. (What the hell do the gun sounds have to do with anything?) For me, the highlight of the production is the brilliantly simple but effective use of that xylophone or chime sound or whatever accenting the first of each of those note pairs. But overall, the song is not particularly inspired (in Lana voice) lyrically, melodically, or structurally. I suspect the song title was truncated to dampen the obvious comparison to "Young & Beautiful" as it is not too surprisingly, given Rick's involvement, reminiscent of Nowels leaks-era production. I am surprised by how much, erm, love it's been getting from pop music critics typically cool to Lana. But maybe all it takes is production that mostly gets out of the way for people to appreciate the loveliness of her voice, however reverb-drenched.

As for the video, while I still don't think it completely works, it is the anti-Tropico. Like Elvis, Marilyn, and John Wayne in the garden of Eden, classic cars floating in space is the essence of Lana's aesthetic distilled, what with her love of things vintage, SpaceX and Tesla and all, but it's not as heavy-handed, and doesn't scream bloated budget (though it may have been) or self-indulgent as much as Tropico. (I think Tropico would have worked better as three distinct music videos.) And thank the heavens there's no :) monologue on this celestial jukebox this time around.

As a first taste of the album, it's no "West Coast" or "Honeymoon". To be honest, I'm a bit concerned by her bringing a bigger pop producer on board in Benny Blanco and her comment that she made her previous albums for herself and this one is "for the fans". I don't at all hate it-- I'm just underwhelmed-- but I'm crossing my fingers "Love" is a bit of a head-fake the way HBTB was, because if this is going to be the direction of the entire album, this longtime fan would probably prefer she go back to making music for herself.

I feel the same, i don't want to Lana become a pop stars like the others. From UV i started following her and fell in love with her unique style and if the direction of the record is what we have heard with Love, it'll be huge disappointment.

I wonder if she'll take this aesthetic into her live performances. I would love to see a space themed stage set up. This video is so nice it reminds me of the her homemade vids in a way.  With all of the kids young and in love, the palm trees, kids skateboarding, vintage cars, ect. 

at around 2:43 of the live streams, she talks about having friends in the video.

Oh ok I was so thrilled watching this live and mesmerized by the fact the video will be up in 5 minutes that I completely lost that one while screaming (casually). Thanks!

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

I love love love the video to bits but someone messed up the transition from the second prechorus to the second chorus - it sounds disjointed compared to the single

cause the second prechorus contains electric piano (in video version) only whilst the single version contains the epic strings.

giphy.gif

I wonder if she'll take this aesthetic into her live performances. I would love to see a space themed stage set up. This video is so nice it reminds me of the her homemade vids in a way.  With all of the kids young and in love, the palm trees, kids skateboarding, vintage cars, ect. 

Exactly what I was thinking!

Takes me back to the Video Games mv actually, it kinda felt like Lana was giving subtle references to the BTD era? 

Love actually reminds me of video games as well, so when the video came out idk I just really got a massive Video Games/BTD vibe from it

giphy.gif ldrclashsmall3.png

Exactly what I was thinking!

Takes me back to the Video Games mv actually, it kinda felt like Lana was giving subtle references to the BTD era? 

Love actually reminds me of video games as well, so when the video came out idk I just really got a massive Video Games/BTD vibe from it

I was getting vibes from the old Blue Jeans video. 

dont know why??

That's interesting. Why was that picture used? This had to be Lana's idea I guess.

This thread goes into more detail than I ever could about possible connections between the Source Family and Ultraviolence. I don't necessarily agree with all the connections drawn, but it's an interesting read and particularly to do with the aesthetic connections/references, especially for photos like https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bp15PO3IUAANSYF.jpg

It's Jonathan Wilson on the drums, so if that were his drum set (including the one with the picture), it would be his reference. JW relates to Father Yod geographically (Laurel Canyon is part of Hollywood Hills where the Source Family lived) and perhaps they share certain aesthetics musically (not sure as I don't know FY's music, though JW's Fanfare album is pretty good).  Anyway, I'm still hoping UV was about Morrison and Courson.

This thread goes into more detail than I ever could about possible connections between the Source Family and Ultraviolence. I don't necessarily agree with all the connections drawn, but it's an interesting read and particularly to do with the aesthetic connections/references, especially for photos like https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bp15PO3IUAANSYF.jpg

Thank you for mentioning my post! I am absolutely floored that a direct reference to the Source, Father Yod and Isis Aquarian has been made in a Lana video -- be it through Jonathan Wilson or Lana herself, that was a very special treat to see at the end of Love! :)