Elle

Lust For Life - Pre-Release Thread

I truly don't understand how people could hate Terrence Loves You... it's one of her best songs she's ever made. Also, something to look forward to with LFL is she has already confirmed the lyrics are centered around politics and life so regardless of the sound (which she's never repeated a sound from record to record before, and we have already been told by Ben that the sound is much different from Honeymoon) we are getting fresh lyrics no matter what. It will be interesting to see Lana write about all new ideas & themes. It has potential to be one of her best albums lyrically, something we've never heard before.

I truly don't understand how people could hate Terrence Loves You... it's one of her best songs she's ever made. Also, something to look forward to with LFL is she has already confirmed the lyrics are centered around politics and life so regardless of the sound (which she's never repeated a sound from record to record before, and we have already been told by Ben that the sound is much different from Honeymoon) we are getting fresh lyrics no matter what. It will be interesting to see Lana write about all new ideas & themes. It has potential to be one of her best albums lyrically, something we've never heard before.

Yes, but on the other hand she thinks TLY and HM in general are jazz, so her track record at labeling genres is really bad basically. Lust for Life could literally be about wanting to fuck on the white house lawn at an anti war protest if Abel had anything to do with it. That's political, but is it "political"? idk. (Did Government Hooker turn into a feminist classic?..) I think I'd rather her drop less obvious but self affirming lines about breaking away from societal/political chains and such (like "I am my only god" that's a really strong, bold line) which, lyrically and visually Love seemed to be aiming for (kind mediocre on the lyrical front but..I'll take it)

tZ7WN4B.gif

The silence is deafening. The only explanation I have is that the whole era got stretched by the premature release of Love. They had booked things in advance (photoshoots, interviews) and the only thing that was available for release was the album trailer. It can be that shes still working on the album because usually she disappears completely when shes in the studio. The presence in LA of the singers from her last tour can hint at some live tv performance or a surprise show. Its a small chance that will happen but nonetheless is a little bit early to start to rehearse for her summer tour.

The silence is deafening. The only explanation I have is that the whole era got stretched by the premature release of Love. They had booked things in advance (photoshoots, interviews) and the only thing that was available for release was the album trailer. It can be that shes still working on the album because usually she disappears completely when shes in the studio. The presence in LA of the singers from her last tour can hint at some live tv performance or a surprise show. Its a small chance that will happen but nonetheless is a little bit early to start to rehearse for her summer tour.

You have a strong point there I never thought about that because it's true her tour dates are pretty far from now

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m

Lust for Life could literally be about wanting to fuck on the white house lawn at an anti war protest if Abel had anything to do with it. 

:thirst:  :cumming2:  id be down for that

I think I'd rather her drop less obvious but self affirming lines about breaking away from societal/political chains and such (like "I am my only god" that's a really strong, bold line) which, lyrically and visually Love seemed to be aiming for (kind mediocre on the lyrical front but..I'll take it)

Yeah i see what she was aiming for with Love but it was VERY mediocre on the lyrical front. 

For me, good political lyrics don't have to be "OHH YEAH WE WANT A REVOLUTION, FUCK THE SYST3M" or like FJM's "Pure Comedy"

Something like "I am my only god", "lived on the dark side of the American Dream", "I can't survive if this is all that's real"- those are political/societal to me, or at least very confronting in a sociopolitical way. Those lines got me really thinking about what matters in the world. It CAN be subtle :)

Salvatore, HBTB and Blackest Day are really the only songs I still listen to from Honeymoon. And if I'm being honest, it's really just HBTB. That album is pretty, but so damn tranquil.

I didn't like HBTB. TBD, 24, Salvatore and THIS pretty damn good remix of Swan Song are the only songs I listen from Honeymoon. The rest is dead to me lol

I didn't like HBTB. TBD, 24, Salvatore and THIS pretty damn good remix of Swan Song are the only songs I listen from Honeymoon. The rest is dead to me lol

That remix of Swan Song should have been the real thing!

Also, can I just check that your username is a joke about misheard lyrics in BAR, and not for real? :')

That remix of Swan Song should have been the real thing!

Also, can I just check that your username is a joke about misheard lyrics in BAR, and not for real? :')

You should check his remixes of Freak, Gods Knows I Tried, Flipside. Tbh, i don't like Flipside either but that remix is hot and his remix of Video Games is great too, sounds like the studio version of the version she perform live.

And YES, my username is a joke haha. It was funny that everybody was thinking that about the BAR lyrics.

You should check his remixes of Freak, Gods Knows I Tried, Flipside. Tbh, i don't like Flipside either but that remix is hot and his remix of Video Games is great too, sounds like the studio version of the version she perform live.

And YES, my username is a joke haha. It was funny that everybody was thinking that about the BAR lyrics.

I just did right away and im really digging this God Knows I Tried one. It sounds like Old Money at the start. 

and okay hahaha! :'D

That is a great remix. I know I've ranted about it before, but remixes could have saved the Honeymoon era. 

Yes, but on the other hand she thinks TLY and HM in general are jazz, so her track record at labeling genres is really bad basically. Lust for Life could literally be about wanting to fuck on the white house lawn at an anti war protest if Abel had anything to do with it. That's political, but is it "political"? idk. (Did Government Hooker turn into a feminist classic?..) I think I'd rather her drop less obvious but self affirming lines about breaking away from societal/political chains and such (like "I am my only god" that's a really strong, bold line) which, lyrically and visually Love seemed to be aiming for (kind mediocre on the lyrical front but..I'll take it)

lol didn't she say uv was jazzy I mean she was right when she said it was guitar driven but that's it she thinks everythings jazz

She probably thinks nirvana is jazz tbh

I think that beyond the leak of Love, she ended up scrapping a lot of stuff and retooling the album. She did talk about it moving in different directions, and I feel pretty confident that we were on our way to getting 15 tracks of Brooklyn Baby and Never Let Me Go, had her inspiration not changed, and to some extent, actually, had she not been working with other artists.

I can't say my ideal HM follow up was a Baez and Dylan worship album (love them tho) featuring production by FJM with a Lennon cover tacked onto the end. I think what BTD and to a lesser extent UV did was meld vintage sensibilities to the current era in a way that pushed the "nostalgic" point of view out of its comfort zone, never letting up on that dark side or the consequences of being a good girl for Jim who waits at home in her party dresses. Stuff like the National Anthem video or the pure sadness you hear in Blue Jeans, Trash, etc. Those thing, plus some more modern production and influence can be pretty vital in Lana not crossing the line to Nostalgic White Girl Born In The Wrong Era.

tZ7WN4B.gif