Elle

Lust For Life - Pre-Release Thread

Off topic but does anyone know if the Tropico Score was officially released? Also on Apple Music, her Tropico EP with Body Electric, Gods and Monsters and Bel Air songs, there's a fourth song called Tropico but it's faded out and it won't let me play it? What's the tea on that? Am I late or something? I've been a fan since 2011 and I feel like I should know this.

the "Tropico" in the EP is just the actual film 

I have a feeling Heroine will be a masterpiece simply because of these meltdowns over its title. If anyone can make a beautiful song out of the title "Heroine", it's Lana. I doubt she'll glamorize it. It'll be more deep, hard-hitting. Reality is that Heroine exists and many people have fucked up their lives because of it. Lana has always been one to illustrate the perspectives and the things that no other artist will (such as the perspective of the other woman), maybe this song will bring awareness to the drug's harrowing effects and illustrate the pain of being an addict.

I'm in love with the green on the grass and the trees, the scent of my sidewalks perfumed by the rain/ I'm in love with the tunes that colored my youth/ and the smudges of autumn that spill through the pane/I'm in love, just in a different way/ and that's okay.

TBH, and I hate saying this, but I doubt FJM would agree to a collab on this particular album. He just put out one of the strongest political/social critique records of the year, and I think Lana's just learning how to write music about politics. They both do it so differently. He calls people out she writes very vague lyrics in comparison. I could see them together on like any of the I love you honeybear tracks though, or even on honeymoon.

TBH, and I hate saying this, but I doubt FJM would agree to a collab on this particular album. He just put out one of the strongest political/social critique records of the year, and I think Lana's just learning how to write music about politics. They both do it so differently. He calls people out she writes very vague lyrics in comparison. I could see them together on like any of the I love you honeybear tracks though, or even on honeymoon.

I think Lana could do an amazing cover of Bored in the USA tbh

'So I try to say goodbye my friend // I'd like to leave you with something warm // But never have I been a blue calm sea // I have always been a storm'

I think Lana could do an amazing cover of Bored in the USA tbh

my dream would be an I Went To The Store One Day type of album closer, but I totally agree that would be beautiful

actually, or something like Real Love Baby like a catchy easygoing song would also be nice

This is tea, don't apologize.

Lana is still in the stage where she is observing events happening and contemplating about them from what we know from Coachella. She's not critiquing or calling out events as being a certain way necessarily.

To be clear, I don't think that this stage is shallow like some others might claim. It's just new, its introductory. Which is why this album was never advertised as being "woke" or anything, like Witness and "purposeful pop". She merely claimed that in the last year + she has been thinking and writing about events affecting her and her friends and family. Lana surely has political thoughts, as we've seen from her interviews and what not, but they are not what inspire her music - though the current political climate has affected her and made her think about her "purpose". Maybe some day she'll get to a FJM level, but if she doesn't, that's okay to me because its not what draws me to her music.

OT: Is anyone else afraid Change wont get much better based on how much of the track we have

Sis, we just got past the Music to Fall Asleep to era.

I like you Arcadia and I'm not coming for you with this comment bc I don't think you feel this way, but the reception about collabs regarding this album continuously becomes more negative based on how "urban" the collabs get. I see y'all  :diva:

There could be many reasons for that.

My main reason, other than not liking Playboi Carti's music, for disliking these collabs is that I don't want her to be like Miley Cyrus. I don't want her to use hip-hop/r&b (and ""urban"" culture) on this record only to go ahead and hypocritically shit on it once it's no longer profitable for her to use it (or once she wants to go back to the sound and image her fanbase expects from her).

giphy.gif

My main reason, other than not liking Playboi Carti's music, for disliking these collabs is that I don't want her to be like Miley Cyrus. I don't want her to use hip-hop/r&b (and ""urban"" culture) on this record only to go ahead and hypocritically shit on it once it's no longer profitable for her to use it (or once she wants to go back to the sound and image her fanbase expects from her).

I agree, though she's made so many morally/ethically ambiguous statements in her own music about gender roles, sex, money, and class that it would be laughable to call hip-hop/R&B out on it. In fact, I would say that those hazy visions of lifestyles, dynamics and timelines that never existed is what draws her to it in the first place. 

However! For all these people who sit here praising BTD, an album that makes heavy use of hip hop sampling, references, and imagery, to suddenly get their panties in a knot when they're confronted with actual hip hop artists fully embedded in the culture, not filtered through the hand of a white dude named Emilie Haynie? It's not a good look. So I'm not calling Lana out because I do believe Lana to feel some affection for the genre. Her fans who need the blackness of it sanitized are the people I'm side eyeing as of now. 

tZ7WN4B.gif

I agree with your sentiment, but I also think there is a difference between featuring an artist in your music and culturally appropriating. Miley (and other artists not calling her out specifically) borrowed from other cultures and used it themselves. To me, a feature is saying I enjoy the art you make and I want it to make art with you, but you can bring your background in I don't think I would be able to adequately represent that. cultural appropriation is stealing what others have built rather than giving them a platform for sharing it. Lana has culturally appropriated in the past (the ride video, some say tropico too) but I don't think this would be the same thing. It is a tough line to follow though because the worst thing you want to do is offend anyone or have her actions be harmful even if that's not intended

I have nothing against hip hop collabs, I like Summer Bummer so far. But like I said, it's just a personal taste and I just happen to favour folk music than hip hop. :whatever2:

i dont get y some so quick to call out people who'd rather her stick with more lowkey acoustic artists; her and barrie worked wonderfully, i wanna see her with fjm so bad, and im hyped for lennon + nicks, thats not to say i don't/haven't wanted to see her collab with bigger musicians (a la Weeknd, A$AP, hell even Kanye after i found out she sung at his wedding, (at least pre-breakdown kanye)) 

some people take opinions as aggression i don't get whyy :crossed:   

I'm ready for this. If she decided to leave out good songs like Architecture, Roses Bloom For You and maybe (?) Yosemite, it's because the ones that took their places are masterpieces (maybe we can make an exception for Coachella)  :creep: We know nothing about how the other songs sound like except for Love, LFL, Coachella, Cherry and some snippets so let's stop worrying about those outtakes, which will be leaked someday anyway.

tumblr_o3dsrkyP3X1ug1kl3o1_400.gif

a message from Lana

T̵̳H̰̱͈̯E̞̯͘R̻͕͔̼E̴̝̘͔̩̝̼ ̙̠̤͠A̝̬̲̞͝Ŕ͖͖͎̭̤̰̼E ͕̖̬3̺̭̲̫̙͓͖8̶̦̮̰7̯̕.̶̟4͚̫̦̪4͖̼̜̦͢ͅ M̢͖̯̫͖̞̥͈I͍̮̞͉̗̳̼L̀L̘̕Į͍O̝N ͈̼̹̫̟͙̲͝M͏̗͎͍̹̺̬̩I̡̱̪̥L͏͉͙E̢͈͔̤͓̥S̶͔̱̲ ̜O̗͓F̝͇̤ ̫̪͙̼P͖͖͟ͅR̠Í̼̱̤ͅN҉̗̟̣Ț̲͈̯̪͍̯E̻D ͈̫̫̀C͚̟͕͇͠IR̳͙͚̣̼̤͉͞C̛͈̼̥̘͎͎U̝̥I͏T̹̦S̛̖̪̟̟ ̴I̲N҉͔̜ ͏͇̯͓Ẃ͎̫̲̲ͅA͕̖͔̠F̫̹E̢̖R̨ ͙̯̭̟͈͜T͎H̴I҉N̨̦̜̟͙̬ ̟͈̳͈̣͎͍͟L̺̦̳̺͎͖͝A̡̟̼͙̗Y̖̦̣̗̞̜Ḙ̡͔͍͈R̨̟͓̯̳̗̮͚S̥̲̥̞ ̢̞̻̘̟̹T̪̥̗̯̝̥̤͢H̼͙̖̣̲A͕̖̼̲T̗͖̦̥͚́ ̸̬̥̗̫̗̭ͅF̧̩̼͉͕I͞L̰̰͜L̢̰̠̯ ̖̺͍̪̻̬M̛̺̣̟Y̯̣̺̫̳͜ ͏̞̱C͖͠O̬̬̗͈M͞P͏̱̞͕L̴̼̯̠̞̼̗͇E̱ͅX̰̗̦̗̙͙͘.͎̘͈̻̳ͅ ͇̟I̪F̴̫̳̥͖̜̤ ̛͚̲͔͉͕͕T̵̳̤H̛̞̜͉̝͉E̦ ͕̥̦͇W̥̣̙OR̭͓D̤̕ ̡͎ḪḀ̪̘͈T̗̤̙̱͔E̞͍͈̝̠͓ ̕W͍̰͎̤̞͖͉͜A̱͔̲͉͡S̴̺͈ ̥̗͙̤E̬̺N̦͙̩̫̖̦̮G̱̯̟̝̞͍R̳̘̪A̸̖V͜E̼D̺̻̩̟̲̜͇ ̩̣̺́O̢̳̮̖̩̭ͅN ͏̻̤͚̙E̘̣̰̞͈A̻͉̱͉C̴̮̝H͔̱̗̠̙̲̮̀ ̼͓N̢̰͈̺ͅA̮͔̳͇̲̜͜N̟̞̳̤̲OḀ̹̻͔̞́N҉̠̭̼͈ͅͅG̷͍͍̫͚͉̰̮ST͏R̟̟͚͘O̶̰M̷̟ ̺O̡͇̖̤̤F͈̠͖ ̶̼̪̞̝T̡͉͙͎̼̱̜H̨̥̬̤̹͖ͅO̤S̛͓̹̫E͇̕ ̞H̻̣͚̦̀U̗̘͔̪N͠D̦̲̫R̖̝E̲̪̜̜̩̰͝ḒS͓͚͔̗̻͜ͅ ̳͍̬͔̻̀O͎͉̦F͚̥̞̠̗͔ ͇̮̦̙̗ͅM̠͓I̟͉̪͖̥̱LL̖͓I̶̱̙̤͕͖̗O̬̮N͔̕S̸̼̲͔̬͍̮͍ ̗̥̬̪̯O̫̹̝͠F̯̮͟ ̱͎̺̣̫̩̲M̸̼̝͇͓̠̪I̹L͓̜͕̲̀E͓̟̥ͅŚ̩͚ ̸͕̟I̶̜͚͓͎͎̟T̷͖̗ ͚̪̺̹͟W̲̫̤̼͇͞O̗̮̼͈̟͍̮U͙̫L̩͡D̞͔̭̙̪ ̶̬N͚̜̱͞O͉͈Ṱ͖̲͍̠ ̶̥E̳͓̰͇̟̝Q̡̪̼͓̳̞Ù̝̙̩A͎̬̮̟͇͔ͅL̝̣͕͈͞ ̞̗͝O̫̣̙̭N͈͖E͎ ̸̦͇̙̲͇̻O̧̖̹͔͍̤̩N̥E̛̼̲͈̖-̷̱̖̝̣̰BI̴L̵͕̩̰̯̝͖L̘̳̝I͍̺͕̝͎̪̭O̠̪͎̺Ṉ̝͜T̺̩͍̬͈̝͠H̖ ̢̲̜̭ͅO̡̹̪̙F̴͈̬̥̺̝ ͖̲̯͉̲͔̜T̺͚̲́H͎̦͚͇̥̪ͅE̹̭̘ ̣̬͎̮͍H͍̪̖̩̤̞͠A̭̳̗͕̼͚̕T͎͇̹̤̰̮͢E͏ ̘̗͕̭͍̤͇͝I̟̫̥̜ F̵E̥͖̰͍͉͓E͖͍͕͓̕ͅL̶͍̘̲͉̝̞ ̩̫̳̥̼͜F̹͍͍̯͡O̖͔͔͡R̠͖͝ ҉͉̺L̤EA҉̤̯K̗͚̬̬̦͢E̘̣R̵̲͉̙̻͙ͅS̳ ̷͈̙̝̠A͝T̬̣̻͎͓͟ͅ ̠̯T͉̖̗̩͓ͅH̸̰̝͔̟̹͇IS̲̥͘ ̠͉̞̥̺̺M̤̦͚̫̹̟͟ÍC̫͍̟̻͘R̲͖̘̟̪͠O̲̯͇̩͕̫̕ͅ-̞̣I̙̣͇N͉̻̝͞S̡T̷A̪͍̞͕͎͍̯N͎͜ͅT͇͎̤̙ͅ

tumblr_osni57NAEg1vm9106o1_540.gif

S̹̬̜̤͙̦͙̱ͬ̿̋̀̇ͫͅT̨̖̥͓̣̲͔͂̌͛͒ͣ̈ͣÔ̦̟ͬ̓̽̐ͫ͠P̷̫͈͉̀̄̃̿̌͟ ̴̡̥̪̪̮̯ͮͨ̌̃̃̆͆͝Ļ̱̠ͬ̓͋̔̈́͞E̩̱̺͙͔ͯ̈͝A͈̟͓͖̍̍̉ͮ̇ͦͅK̨̺͔͈̮̹͖̾͐̋͂́͠ͅỊ̵̛̝͌̓̎N̵̨ͩ҉͖̖͙͖̺͕̗G̥̻̼͙̞̮͙̱̾̈́̀́ ̷̙͕̹̙̪͔͖͕͙̌̔ͯ̈I̯͌̉̔̋̍N̙̩̆͑͆́̕Fͪ̅̎̽̈́͏̘͖̜̞Ǒ̸̝̦̻͈̣̦̤̂̅R̥̹͍͑̂͑̐̕͘M̹̥̱̆͗̈ͭ͒̇̉̔̚͝ͅÅ̴̴̧̞̗̻̰̠̳̥͕͍̑͑̽̃ͦ̆T̤͇́̂̈́͞ͅÍ̲͈͍͈͎̙͔̰̿̆ͧ̀ͧO̧̥̪͈͓̭̞̺ͥ̿ͬ̿̆͑̚͡N̬̫͎͇͚̍͒̒ͣ͒̎͒̚̚ ̸̡͇̬̪̙̺ͭ̈̐ͮ̈ͮ̈͆͞ͅͅA̸̬͉͇̜͈̯̯̘͆ͣͩ̌͝B̴̹̖̫ͧͪ̈ͤO̴̰̘ͭ̊͊̔͜U̗̻̗̺̬̹̯͇̽ͤͥ͝T̨̠̙̼̰̯͔͕͂̑̿ͧͭ͆̒ ͈͖̍̑͟L̛̼͈̰͇̪̏͑ͤ̂͂͋̔͂̀͜U̱̗ͯͪ͆ͬ̌́S̘̹͖̪̆͐̃͂̂ͮ́͢T̯̮͇̳͖͌̇͗́̈́ͣ̃ ̨͖͙̬̬̭͎͔͓͆̐̇̚F̢͉̘̮̬̭̮̰̥͖ͣͬ̆́͋͛͂̄̀̕O̷̧͚̟͉̘̻͓͉̦̜̐̋ͮ̄̕Ȑ̜̼̜̇̽͐̊̊̐̅̽ ̞̖̻̈̆̌̃̕͞L̶̶̠ͭͦͧ͂͢I̸̼͓̟̱͔̞̫̘͇̊ͩF̴̏̎͊҉̖Ȩ̨̪̳̻͓̳̮ͦͦ̍ͫͪ ̄ͫ͐͆͑̀̕҉̞̜̙P̝̺͊ͧͯ͛̉̒̚A̳̗ͥ̌ͩ͌̚͟͢Ţ̝̞͕ͧ͋ͦͥ́͂͑ͫH̴̷̵͉͇ͯ̒̅ͥ̈́̔̐̚Ę̛͉͉̞͖̻̪͇͖̉ͭ̏͊̒̿T̵̹̞̲̮̞̫̣ͬͭ͂̄̏I̳̰̒ͯͯ̑ͭͩ̄ͦ͞C̜̣̩̻ͩ̾͛ ̵̘͍̺̭̹͓͇̾ͪ̂ͨ̑M̵̖̣͚͕͕͖͙̯̊̊̉ͯ̀̾Ŏ̜̭̫̻̪̞͍̼͌ͣͯ̑ͤ̓̃̾͡R̸̴̤̰͇͓̩̙̼ͫ̍͢T̷̶̩̻͔̲̩̯̫̜̄ͯÄ̷̡̬̟̘̝͖́͒̉̏̓ͬ̐ͅL̴̴̻̥̤̻̞̺̇͐̍ͨ