Elle

Lust For Life - Pre-Release Thread

Holy shit "Get Free" is the best lyrics she's written in a long time imo

I didn't pay attention to the lyrics at first but now that I read them... I'm heartbroken  :defeated:

Her best album closer 

tumblr_nvnya6aodO1qhacioo1_500.gif

Guys, what she meant with: " There was just such a long time where people had to fit into that pop box. "?

sorry english is not my first language

Holy shit "Get Free" is the best lyrics she's written in a long time imo

I didn't pay attention to the lyrics at first but now that I read them... I'm heartbroken  :defeated:

Her best album closer 

that's true

"maybe by the time this song is done ill be able to be honest, capable of holding you in my arms without letting you fall" lyricist arrived

Guys, what she meant with: " There was just such a long time where people had to fit into that pop box. "?

sorry english is not my first language

It means that people had to fit into what all of the popular music sounded like

Just finished reading the interview, it's definitely one of the best she's done in the last couple of years at least. I'm not saying anything that hasn't been said by you guys already, but yeah especially back in May I guess pretty much a majority of us thought she's finally feeling well and she's happy since she's out there so often. But as it turns out, this album isn't really that statement of her feeling great and happy that we sort of thought it would be, but a reflection of things she'd want to be better. I don't know if I'm making any sense but yeah. At times it got really sad but for example I felt good reading about the things that make her happy.

Alright LFL did its trick and made me somewhat emotional so from now on this post of mine is nothing but me opening up about her and her music. Read if you wish. I tried to keep it as short as possible without explaining everything so there's a risk of some things getting misunderstood but I hope at least some of you can relate.

Five years later and only now did I actually realize how big this pattern of mine is - when I listen to new material from her, I can rarely tell if I like it, love it or dislike it by the first few listens. Back in 2012 it took me three times to listen to Born to Die (album) before I started getting it and where she might be coming from and eventually it became one of those few albums that have really changed my life. I've always kept repeating the story about that to myself. But thinking about it now, I was hesitant the first time West Coast, Ultraviolence, High by the Beach and Honeymoon came out for example. West Coast is so far my favorite song from her and Ultraviolence my favorite album by far. I can never get enough of High by the Beach either and even though I don't listen to Honeymoon in full that often, it really is a good album that I should listen to more. Most of the material she's put out there I've had to learn to love in a way, a lot of them are growers you might not really love or hate at the first listen but in my case have most times ended up in the better category.

I've heard the "oh but how can you listen to this kind of sad and depressing music all the time" lots of times but the thing is, I don't feel sad when I listen to them. Most of the subjects are heavy and rugged, stuff I definitely wouldn't like to experience nor want anyone else to experience either, but the music doesn't make me sad nor depressed - I'm obviously enjoying it so if I didn't I probably wouldn't be listening to it so much, now would I? Her music causes different kind of emotions in me and makes me think. Seeing or reading that she's gone through some pretty heavy stuff obviously makes me sad and feel bad for her, I feel a great deal of sympathy and empathy for her but the music itself doesn't really affect me in a negative way. I love it and I love her, I want nothing but happiness for her since she's made me happy with her music more than enough. She deserves all that's good out there in the world.

But yeah since I'm trying to keep this short, I'm currently listening to the full LFL for the fifth time and after 4 times I started realizing just how deep this new music also is starting to touch me. I'm getting more familiar with it and even though I can't really tell my top 5 or anything, I already know I love this record. I don't know exactly where I would rank it, but I love it.

Long story short, she might be a complex artist to fall in love with but once you do, you're in for a hell of a good ride - maybe not pre-release or promo wise but still lol. The first times I listened to BTD I was doubtful but it didn't take long for me to fall so much in love with her, I've been along ever since and I love her more than any other artist out there. And she'll always have a special place in my heart, there's no denying it. I'm really thankful and happy that I'm seeing her for the second time in a matter of few weeks, it's been 4 years. And I really hope I'd get to meet her this time around and thank her for her beautiful music.

"maybe by the time this song is done ill be able to be honest, capable of holding you in my arms without letting you fall" lyricist arrived

It means that people had to fit into what all of the popular music sounded like

so... she doesn't think that her music is pop music?

Sorry if this has already been asked, but what Lana albums is it most similar to? It seems like a mixture of all her past work, from what I have heard from the snippets.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

So I ended up still having a girl over after I went to Sunrise and then I realized the album leaked right before falling asleep, then at like 4am I was just lying there in bed with my headphones on full blast and she kept rolling over trying to ask what the fuck I'm doing and to turn off the music and I just closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep cause I need an uninterrupted first listen lmao

That Pitchfork interview is Lana at her best. Blunt, dry humor, unapologetic and finally taking credit for the soundscape of the past 5 years in pop music. She's an innovator.

I'm in love with the green on the grass and the trees, the scent of my sidewalks perfumed by the rain/ I'm in love with the tunes that colored my youth/ and the smudges of autumn that spill through the pane/I'm in love, just in a different way/ and that's okay.

All in order

Songs I adore:

Get Free

God Bless America

Love

Songs I love:

Tomorrow Never Came

Heroin

Summer Bummer

Beautiful People

Songs I like:

Groupie Love

War

In My Feelings

White Mustang

Lust for Life

Coachella

Cherry

Change

Songs I don't like

NONE. such a perfect album

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif

Sorry if this has already been asked, but what Lana albums is it most similar to? It seems like a mixture of all her past work, from what I have heard from the snippets.

Honeymoon meets the second half of Ultraviolence

So I ended up still having a girl over after I went to Sunrise and then I realized the album leaked right before falling asleep, then at like 4am I was just lying there in bed with my headphones on full blast and she kept rolling over trying to ask what the fuck I'm doing and to turn off the music and I just closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep cause I need an uninterrupted first listen lmao

That is Soooo me lmaoo the pettiness :eartha:

"And when you see my face on every billboard and TV screen, you'll regret the day you walked away" :lanahairflip3: :legend:

It is.

13 Beaches could be in Paradise

Cherry is like a mix of BTD, UV and HM

White Mustang could be on HM

In My Feelings in BTD

GBA is something new, I'd dare to say, liKe the starter of the LFL style

WTWWAWWKD also something new

BPBP could be on Honeymoon but it has the LFL style

Tomorrow Never Came - Another unique of LFL

Heroin could be on UV, but it's only right that it's on LFL

Change could be on HM

Get Free is something new

Well that's my perception, I could be wrong since I've only listened twice.

tumblr_o3dsrkyP3X1ug1kl3o1_400.gif

at first sight, i liked TNC, Change & Get Free fully. thats it

well have you considered the fact that everyone is not you?

girl  :wtf: glimmering is serving :oprah3:  FACTS :oprah:

i will love you until the end of time.

"I'm smoking while I'm running on my treadmill / I'm crying while I'm cumming." Haven't heard it yet but IMF sounds interesting.

I'm in love with the green on the grass and the trees, the scent of my sidewalks perfumed by the rain/ I'm in love with the tunes that colored my youth/ and the smudges of autumn that spill through the pane/I'm in love, just in a different way/ and that's okay.

I feel like some of you just hate on Coachella bc its a big thing here  :deadbanana:  I used to do that, but it's really not that bad. I just despise the chorus

Yeah, i think I just don't like Coachella because it isn't as good as she is. Like I feel like it could be better and I wish it didn't fall short.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

so... she doesn't think that her music is pop music?

She never did. I still remember that interview where she said her songs' structures are not pop, complex and tell a story when we know 99% of her discography is verse-chorus-bridge pop songs :deadbanana:

I feel like some of you just hate on Coachella bc its a big thing here  :deadbanana:  I used to do that, but it's really not that bad. I just despise the chorus

It definitely makes more sense as a part of the album, I think it was just stupid to release it as a single with nothing to support it

:illumilana2: :dmd: :justride: