Elle

Lust For Life - Pre-Release Thread

same she makes me feel like I'm not alone anymore I love her so much  :poordat:  :poordat:  :poordat:

I feel like no time better than now to mention that I periodically think about your icon while at work and nearly bust out laughing  :crai:

I have been here on this forum since it's founding and was on the .fm forum as well. I have watched fans come and go and bash every album with vitriol and disappointment.

Never did I get it. Never did I understand how one could be so disappointed in a Lana album.

Until I listened to Lust for Life.

I am beyond shook at my own disappointment. I can't even believe this. I'm... horrified. Someone help me. I have never been in this situation before. Am I crazy? It's not even that "The album isn't what I expected" because honestly, her albums rarely are for me-- but I love them nonetheless. But this is literally brand new territory. I'm literally blown away that I found MORE songs on this album that I literally *DIDN'T LIKE* than songs I did. 

The *only* other time I've ever even heard a Lana song on an album that I just didn't like before at all was "Guns & Roses." And now it's like.... Literally half of the new album?????????? I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS. 

I have read so many annoying negative "reviews" of Lana albums from fans over the years. And I've always rolled my eyes at them feeling like "Don't you get it? Where she's going?" And like... This is the first time where I am totally lost. And honestly, I think she is too. 

This album literally *sounds* confused to me. Lyrically, sonically, and definitely visually. There is no doubt in my mind that up until a few weeks ago this was a wildly different album. The mixing has been changing up until the vinyl printing (she said in an interview). We can see proof of that in the fact that there's different mixes for Love and Summer Bummer that have been officially released in some capacity (radio, singles, music videos, etc). 

I'M SO SHOOK WHATS HAPPENINGNGNGNGN!??!?! 

u listened to halsey 

tumblr_n5fth3ig6s1rpppaho1_500.gif

I have been here on this forum since it's founding and was on the .fm forum as well. I have watched fans come and go and bash every album with vitriol and disappointment.

Never did I get it. Never did I understand how one could be so disappointed in a Lana album.

I am beyond shook at my own disappointment. I can't even believe this. I'm... horrified. Someone help me. I have never been in this situation before. Am I crazy? It's not even that "The album isn't what I expected" because honestly, her albums rarely are for me-- but I love them nonetheless. But this is literally brand new territory. I'm literally blown away that I found MORE songs on this album that I literally *DIDN'T LIKE* than songs I did. 

The *only* other time I've ever even heard a Lana song on an album that I just didn't like before at all was "Guns & Roses." And now it's like.... Literally half of the new album?????????? I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS. 

I have read so many annoying negative "reviews" of Lana albums from fans over the years. And I've always rolled my eyes at them feeling like "Don't you get it? Where she's going?" And like... This is the first time where I am totally lost. And honestly, I think she is too. 

This album literally *sounds* confused to me. Lyrically, sonically, and definitely visually. There is no doubt in my mind that up until a few weeks ago this was a wildly different album. The mixing has been changing up until the vinyl printing (she said in an interview). We can see proof of that in the fact that there's different mixes for Love and Summer Bummer that have been officially released in some capacity (radio, singles, music videos, etc). 

i just wanted to point out, 8 separate times several words were closed in with *, ', ", or ()

there's an italic function if thats what you were going for

The Heroin lyrics about Manson give me chills...the whole song seems to be about the dark side of Canyon culture in California

The Canyons are where the 60s music scene started...Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan, Mamas and Papas, Eagles, etc, etc. But also the place where the Manson Family was born

I'm a bit of a true crime buff and the Manson lyrics hit me so hard when I first listened to Heroin! God, Lana invokes such intense images, the blood on the wall legit gave me the shivers. Kinda on subject, but Tarantino's doing a Manson movie and can't you just imagine Lana doing a piece for the soundtrack? 

edit: also did you really post the exact same thing into your status as well on this thread  ezgif-2-5a8549909c.jpg

girl better yet copy paste it into ur about me on ur page 

First - Take a chill pill.

Second - Read the pitchfork interview and see why the record was done the way it was done.

Third - Give it another listen, maybe it will grow on you.

tumblr_o3dsrkyP3X1ug1kl3o1_400.gif

I'm a bit of a true crime buff and the Manson lyrics hit me so hard when I first listened to Heroin! God, Lana invokes such intense images, the blood on the wall legit gave me the shivers. Kinda on subject, but Tarantino's doing a Manson movie and can't you just imagine Lana doing a piece for the soundtrack? 

my ass is tickling  

tumblr_n5fth3ig6s1rpppaho1_500.gif

First - Take a chill pill.

Second - Read the pitchfork interview and see why the record was done the way it was done.

Third - Give it another listen, maybe it will grow on you.

First- True. I'm really just blown away, I was so ready for going on this ride with her from what she'd teased about the album.

Second- I'm about to read it, and I'm excited to read it for sure! I've been listening to and reading her other interviews too and so I felt like I was prepared and ready to sink into this album. 

Third- I know, I'm definitely going to. I'd never just toss out an album with the first listen-- especially one by one of my favorite singers and songwriters and people! I'm just shocked. 

Like anyone could read my entire history of contributions to this forum and I've *never* had this reaction to any Lana album before. 

Here is my review of my first listen to Lust for Life.

Things might change after more plays.

Summary

This is her most easy-accessible album since Born To Die and also her most diverse yet cohesive one. 

Best (9.5-10)

Love: An instant classic with a hint of changing of perspective from the old Lana

13 Beaches: From the monologue to the instrumental to the hysterical "dying for something real", it's really hard not to love it

Summer Bummer: It started as "great" for me at first, but the replay value is insane. It goes hard with those beats. The an-octave-higher chorus elevates the whole song. Surely, she can carry the song alone, but Rocky's verse adds more chemistry and sultriness which is a bonus.

Groupie Love: A trilogy of the "fan-meets-star" storyline in the album, the melodies are just great and the last chorus shows all the chemistry between Lana and Rocky

God Bless America - And All The Beautiful Women In It: Lana writing about America wont go wrong. The build-ups are great and the gunshots are pretty intentional - in a good ironic way. A very anthemic hymn.

When The World Was At War, We Kept Dancing: Love the guitar with the beats throughout the song, sounds very exotic. The way she sings the verse is very jazzy, which is very different from the pre-chorus and the chorus, showing the range of her emotions - her doubts and her reassurance in America

Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems: Beautiful melodies, sounds like an instant classic. Stevie outshines Lana? Yes - Cause she's a legend and the way she sings has more power in it. Not to mention, she has more life experience which makes it more convincing. But does Stevie outdelivers Lana? Not really - Lana was never known as using her all her lung-powers to belt in order to express her emotions but her richness in her voice. In this case, it is just Lana being Lana, Stevie being Stevie - two friends jamming to each other. And they both compliment each other so well like a Ying and a Yang or an extrovert and a introvert kind of contrasting combination.

Tomorrow Never Came: Very touching ballad with a hint of the Beatles. Different from BPBP, this is not a collab of two different types of singers, Sean and Lana's voices are so soothing with similar features. The whole atmosphere is very intimate, very bittersweet, very complex. The chorus is the one of the best expressions of how deeply people are in love with others - the most inadvertently action when you wait for someone for too many times (waiting at the local spots) and the image (raining). If you have once waited for someone in your life but they never show up, you'll fully get the picture.

Heroin: Like the line, Lana does send me to the moon like an acid trip experience. And when the bridge kicks in, things get more intense. Everything gets heated and goes crazy.

Get Free: Beautiful melodies, but I also want to mention the background vocals in the pre-chorus, which have some shangri-la 60s girl groups refernces like the title track which are a great detail as a closer. And the shoutout of "Out of the black, into the blue" in the Lizzy voice is also marvellous. Not to mention her referencing her old song "Ride" to further explain her change of mindset.

Great (7.5-9)

Lust For Life: Like the chemistry between Lana and Abel, like the shangri-la vibe. But it lacks the passion in the song and sounds vague at some points - especially when it starts with epic lines like "we're the masters of our own fate" and "we're the captains of our own souls" but just has "a lust of life keeps us alive" on repeat. It feels flat in the middle of the song.

Cherry: The atmosphere and the metaphor are so great. However the random swearing makes me cackle - it's already a sexy and sultry song but the "f**k" sounds so off and kinda unnecessary. 

White Mustang: One of the trilogy of the "fan-meet-star" storyline. Love the last few seconds with the whistles and the car revving noise - those are some nice touches on her lines "wild mustang (the animal)" and "white mustang (the car)". It could be so much better if the instrumental is longer, especially between chorus and verse 2. 

In My FeelingsLana's full of rage with her voice going up and down throughout the song. However, the vocal and the beats sometimes do not feel in sync (e.g. sometime in the verse and second part of chorus). 

Change: A great track in an awkward position. It is a great piano-driven ballad, but after 14 tracks of greatness (esp. track 10-14), it feels kinda flat because audience might have used up most energies. But the chorus is really beautiful and her voice is angelic.

Alright (<7.5)

Coachella - Woodstock in My Mind: Great topic. Everything about it is so Lana and so hipster. However, the overuse of 808 drums is really not the tea. It had so much potential to become one of the greatest songs in her catalog but the beats just ruined it.

giphy.gif

Okay, okay. Let me just list the songs I *do* really like upon this first listen...

Love
Cherry 
White Mustang

Summer Bummer

Groupie Love

In My Feelings 

Coachella

Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems

Tomorrow Never Came

TNC is possibly my favorite song on this album which I did not anticipate at all-- I was most excited for Cherry & White Mustang. There are so many things about even all those songs that I don't think really work tho, except TNC which is *nearly* perfect song from a writing standpoint (otherwise than that cringeworthy "singing with Sean" line). But like...the overall mix of it is really rough (I know the mix kept changing until very recently too). 

its not that deep breh u just dont like an album lana will forgive you 

ok i might be deaf and not hearing things right but 

Get Free's

Sometimes it feels like I've got a war on my mind

kinda sounds like 

Behind Close Door's  Back to the Basics'

Everybody's saying that you're no good for me 

4BZPaCg.jpg