Matt

Movie Discussion Thread

People who scratch DVDs and return them to the library afterwards - every bone in my body is filled w/ hatred towards them to be honest. I am depressed I wasn't able to watch American Beauty in full. Every other scene was scratched. :(

^Heathers is in my top 10 ever. I still need to watch Jawbreaker, even though I know it will be nowhere near as good.

Jawbreaker is a fun movie. I like it, and I really like Rose McGowan.

She just doesn't do it for me most of the time. I loved her in The Virgin Suicides and Marie Antoinette, but that's about it. I didn't think she'd be a good fit for Von Trier, but then again, he does have a reputation for pushing actresses in his films to their absolute limit, so I decided to give it a shot.

tori_amos_signature_by_ghosttree-d34dy5d.png

What did you think of "Girl, Interrupted"? It's one of my favorite movies. I think I watched it 12 times in a week once. :creep:

I really did enjoy it. The scene where Daisy hung herself was haunting, especially with "End of the World" playing in the background. It oozed loneliness and I adore the direction for that scene in particular. Overall I really did like the movie, I think Winona and Jolie really nailed the roles.

Also regarding Daisy's death - this forum has made me more worried about the welfare of her cat than her. :/ Maru...

Also, I thought this might be an interesting question for anyone reading this thread:

Who are your favorite actresses and actors - and why? (Specific films you love of theirs, etc.)

I'd love to hear everybody's favorites.

Hmm, I have quite a few, but if I had to choose one, I'd probably go with Isabelle Huppert. I could probably say so on the strength of La Pianiste alone. Never before or since have I seen an actor so fully embody a character to such magnificent effect. I don't think any other actress could have played such a complex role so effortlessly. She has had a long, illustrious career, but I think her roles of the past 20 years have truly been her best. She's incredibly versatile, but I think she has a particular gift for portraying damaged, unstable characters without ever coming across as melodramatic. She is always sublime and a true master of her craft.

tori_amos_signature_by_ghosttree-d34dy5d.png

Watched "The Night of the Hunter" (1955) - earlier today, amazing film. I really recommend it. The narrative gets messy during the second half of the film though, in spots - but the visuals are beautiful and haunting. It reminds me of German films like "M."

I just watched "Donnie Darko" - I'm not sure what to say, I really loved the film, and I'm trying to 'figure it out' at the moment. But I think after one viewing it might just enter my all-time favorite films, something about it really struck me