Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

260 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

im here for lana stealing our coins

literally and figuratively 

I'm not. I want my signed CD asmrchew4.gif

and ms del rey wants ur coins

the lazy bitch has already had them 4 times this damn era asmrchew4.gif

the gal wants MORE  :godlaugh: same w me gal ive drained several times for her this year

I think what makes political Lana awkward is the fact that she was always behind this glass, behind this fuzzy filter that separated her from us & she never spoke too much on social media and was generally in her own, tiny bubble and seeing the world through her own lana-esque lens and that helped her aesthetic and imagery so much as well as persona in general

So when she finally stepped out of it I feel like we're shocked to see what she's really like (obviously we won't ever meet her like she is on daily basis but you know what I mean)

I was excited for the woke-hippie aesthetic but some of these lyrics DO sound cheesy and cliche although I can see her trying to expand herself and grow as an artist so I'm still curious what she'd bring in the future but my overall point is she literally took some magic out of it and that's why all this feels weird

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

I think what makes political Lana awkward is the fact that she was always behind this glass, behind this fuzzy filter that separated her from us & she never spoke too much on social media and was generally in her own, tiny bubble and seeing the world through her own lana-esque lens and that helped her aesthetic and imagery so much as well as persona in general

So when she finally stepped out of it I feel like we're shocked to see what she's really like (obviously we won't ever meet her like she is on daily basis but you know what I mean)

I was excited for the woke-hippie aesthetic but some of these lyrics DO sound cheesy and cliche although I can see her trying to expand herself and grow as an artist so I'm still curious what she'd bring in the future but my overall point is she literally took some magic out of it and that's why all this feels weird

The problematic thing is more that her "awareness" is as naive as the one of a 16y o tumblerina. Probably even less, cause those are often over-aware SJW idiots.

She promoted those tracks as meaningful and shit, but listening to GBA or WTWWAW does not really feel different than any Lona sobg. Same lyricism etc.

The only meaningful one is Change, although that's more about herself than about society

Edited by Electric Body

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

On one hand, some of her political lyrics sound like Disney lyrics "If we hold on to hope, we'll have a happy ending". 

On the other hand, at least those songs help to change her classic themes about sad love and drugs, which imo are her best themes (see Cherry and Heroin), but some people were growing tired of hearing the same kind of stories on her songs. Same with Love, Lust For Life and the album's cover (maybe she won't be portrayed as exclusively sad by the GP. A boy can dream)

tumblr_o3dsrkyP3X1ug1kl3o1_400.gif

honestly when i knew she was going to dabble on political themes i expected her to be awkward about it. And I don't think she's addressing this issues as an ultra aware SJW, on the contrary I think she's just discovering these themes and no matter how annoying some of these tumblr teens come off she doesn't have the same thirst of awareness and neither does she spend that much time on the internet looking these things up. Even with her background in philosophy, she probably kept with the metaphysics and maybe theology, and has only a very superficial knowledge of feminist theories, the social contract(s) and politics. I remember I was kinda pissed at the journalist who asked her if she was a feminist, because let's be real the way this question is handled suggests it's just a trick to use with female celebrities for click-baits. It's a damn if I do and damn if I don't situation.    

I believe that with the big changes that happened in 2016 and followed 2017, the outside world was chaotic enough to interfere with her bubble, and now lana del rey can't be Lana Del Rey with these threats to her status quo. So finally it would have been more awkward not to address these issues. I think she thought it would be better to talk about these changes and what she could do about them.  

On one hand, some of her political lyrics sound like Disney lyrics "If we hold on to hope, we'll have a happy ending". 

On the other hand, at least those songs help to change her classic themes about sad love and drugs, which imo are her best themes (see Cherry and Heroin), but some people were growing tired of hearing the same kind of stories on her songs. Same with Love, Lust For Life and the album's cover (maybe she won't be portrayed as exclusively sad by the GP. A boy can dream)

ive seen people call Love sad and nothing new from her 'oh boy another slow sad lana song about her being in love, this time without drugs and heartbreak such improvemtn'

BPBP is such a masterpiece, Lana & Stevie voices connect so fucking good, it gave me chills and makes me feel good.

One of my favs :oprah:

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

I love reading through everyones opinions on Lana and the album. Ya'll are so well spoken and intelligent, makes me remember why i joined this forum. :flutter: But yeah i agree with some of you, i think it's nice that Lana has decided to join the real world and speak up about political topics, it's lovely and she's setting a good example towards her younger listeners too. However, i don't think it entirely works for her musically.

Like someone said earlier, Change was her best "woke" track because unlike the other political tracks, it wasn't about society, it was just about her. In the past her art and aesthetics have always heavily relied on herself. HER life, HER interests and HER problems. And i think that's when she truly shines. Because when an artist sings about personal topics, they make it their mission to be great because it's coming from the heart. And it's beneficial to her career, to her fans and to the music. So i would much prefer if she'd stick to her fantasy stories and such, but i'm also fine with whichever path she takes next. 

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e