Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

260 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

Here's my little review, since I know you all are DYING to hear my opinion on things...  :toofunny: 

Highlights:

-Her experimentation with her mid-range. After Love came out, I was worried she was gonna use the same breathy mid-range throughout, but WKD's "shake it up" etc. and Get Free's "out of the black" prove that she is still open to variation in singing style.
-The whistling in White Mustang. Perfect addition to the song.
-The production of the instrumental on SB is a welcome variation in the record. Also, I rather like Rocky's bit ("truthfully between you and me..."). Controversial opinion, perhaps.
-The part in "Change" where she says "Sour".
-The high vocals in In My Feelings, and similarly the bridge in GBA.
-The outro in Get Free is perfect for ending the album, and it really feels like Lana's idea of paradise- An idyllic coney island beach scene, almost.

Areas of dissatisfaction:

-The bridge in WKD- "dizzy from loving you", it just really doesn't speak to me, and seems incongruous.
-Not to offend fans of Uncle Nowles, but the production on the record can occasionally tend towards the flavorless. This matched with the fact that all the gun samples seem to be a lazy way to add "edge" and I find the production can quickly get boring.
-Towards the end of the bridge in Heroin, everything after "if I said I wasn't sick of it" is completely unnecessary. I think the tension in the song as that point would be much stronger if she had cut to the next chorus right after that line.
-The opening of Groupie Love and CWIMM both suffer from awkward lyricism. In a similar vein, I'm really not a fan of the extended rainbow metaphor in Get Free- it seems to drag on, and her point could've been more succinctly or effectively made.
-The cursing in Cherry is just completely out of place.
-I know some of you regard it as "world building" or "self-referential", but I really dislike it when she re-uses lyrics or imagery. This album had a handful of peaches, beaches, white, black, red, blue. All standard issue for her, but it grated on a bit.
-Gratuitous use of reverb in the In My Feelings bridge, and the movie sample in the beginning of 13 Beaches.

Current Top 5 (no particular order)

1. Heroin
2. White Mustang
3. Summer Bummer
4. We Kept Dancing
5. 13 Beaches

tumblr_oz83mp1hxO1wc2gv3o1_500.png

Sorry, it's been taking up most hours of the past weeks and I don't have a shorter word for it. :(

It's over now though. You won't see it... until next summer! :P

Oh congrats! Hope you did well sis!

Don't get it unless you like your booklets like this. I'm upset and feel tempted to buy another copy at a different store. I hate fold-up booklets. I also can't hang the poster up without ruining the booklet now too.

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

Booklets like that:

EMGNtradingspouses11.gif

original.gif

Dylan totally skipped over crying while I'm cumming and get that cigarette smoke outta my face. His in my feelings reaction was so short and all he really said was that the title won't make sense in 30 years ... and he thought groupie love was about g easy :toofunny:

LIZARD PEOPLE

I feel like Groupie Love is one of her better singles in a while. Aside from it having decent commercial appeal, I think it's a nice throwback to lana's wall of sound demos with the heavy harmonising. A$AP Rocky's verses feel a lil forced in both Groupie Love and Summer Bummer tho. I think if his first lines had a little more energy it'd catch the ear, but it just sounds like he doesn't even wanna be there lmao.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

I feel like Groupie Love is one of her better singles in a while. Aside from it having decent commercial appeal, I think it's a nice throwback to lana's wall of sound demos with the heavy harmonising. A$AP Rocky's verses feel a lil forced in both Groupie Love and Summer Bummer tho. I think if his first lines had a little more energy it'd catch the ear, but it just sounds like he doesn't even wanna be there lmao.

I kind of agree about rocky's verse in groupie love but I love him in SB. Especially the middle part of his verse where he's going slower

LIZARD PEOPLE

Okay really weird but has anyone listened to LFL the title track while baked and it felt like it lasted years? Im listening to it now and I swear it feels like it's been 20 minutes

That’s literally what being high is lol. Enjoy, sis! I tried listening to it when it leaked cause I was in my hammock on a cliff overlooking a lake watching the sunset and it was perfect except I couldn’t find the link lmao. 

That’s literally what being high is lol. Enjoy, sis! I tried listening to it when it leaked cause I was in my hammock on a cliff overlooking a lake watching the sunset and it was perfect except I couldn’t find the link lmao. 

I've been high plenty and even listened to that song before while baked, but today for some reason I was really geeking out, the song seemed to last forever. LOL

tumblr_oz83mp1hxO1wc2gv3o1_500.png

Well, sis, just act mad like u originally planned

Also

DYLAN UPLOADED HIS REACTION BITCHES GO WATCH

I don't see what y'all see in him, he's a pretty (w)  boy with a decent facial bone structure and biceps

that and he's so obviously gay baiting and flexing it's hard to take him seriously, liked him when I found his BtD review but I saw past the shtick immediately afterwards

I kind of agree about rocky's verse in groupie love but I love him in SB. Especially the middle part of his verse where he's going slower

yeah that part is definitely one of the stronger parts of his feature, it fits more with the aesthetic of the song too; relaxed, downtempo.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

My favorites:

1. Heroin: Absolutely my favorite song from the record. I can't put into words how much it means to me. It's in my top 3 favorite Lana songs now.

2. Change: I wrote on here earlier about how this song is her most relatable for me, and it still holds true. The lyrics bring literal tears to my eyes. 

3. Love: Very cohesive song production and lyric-wise.

4. Cherry: I love how it was serious when we first heard it, but the production changed and it's now a playful song. The dissonance between the lyrics and the ad-libs of cursing is actually genius

5. Tomorrow Never Came: Beautiful production

6. When The World Was At War, We Kept Dancing: It would be in my top three if it weren't for the chorus/pre-chorus. The "shake it up" verses are the best though!

7. White Mustang: Simple but beautiful. Would be top 5 but the first verse is lyrically embarrassing.

8. 13 Beaches: Awesome production and good lyrics, esp. "ballroom of my mind"

My least favorites:

1. Get Free: Verses 9/10, prechorus 8/10, chorus 2/10. The chorus ruins it for me but I still appreciate this song a lot and its message<3 that chorus is just terrible, in my opinion, though I know most of you love it<3

The rest of the tracks, I'm relatively neutral about. I'm not crazy about GBA's chorus and I like exercising/walking around the city at night to In My Feelings but it's nothing special (though the verses are kind of iconic..."sobbing in my coffee"). Lust For Life, the track is still just OK to me! BPBP is decent, too. I'm getting used to it. It's just not what I expected.

Lol sorry I keep editing this. I keep accidentally posting this when it's still unfinished, but whatever.

Hope y'all are enjoying the album as much as I am. Much love<3