trayertrash

The Rock/Punk/Metal Heads Thread

The list I made of bands are ones I used to listen to (I still listen to them from time to time) but since last year I have really been getting into folk/blues/psychedelic/alternative/60s, 70s rock more.

Joan Baez

Nasty Woman

Bob Dylan

Tim Buckley

Ben E King

Simon & Garfunkel

Rodriguez

Don't really know them well enough / care enough to judge 

Fleetwood Mac

Bare Trees >>>>>

etc. are currents faves :)

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg

i like psychodelic,60s,70s,jazz,soul, punk, grunge, indie, alternative and thrash metal...

favorites: Fleetwood Mac, Florence and The Machine, Jefferson Airplane, David Bowie, The Doors, The Cramps...

thrash metal is my favorite kind, from the classic Bay Area scene to Vektor, Voivod and the like. but my absolute favorite metal band is actually Bathory.

I have to ask - early, black metal Bathory, or mid period epic/viking Bathory? (I'm assuming it's not late period 'Rock and Roll' Bathory).

Also, if you're into Psychedelic music, definitely check out Hawkwind.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

I have to ask - early, black metal Bathory, or mid period epic/viking Bathory? (I'm assuming it's not late period 'Rock and Roll' Bathory).

1lki4l.jpg

Viking! Blood Fire Death & Hammerheart are my favorite albums. and i also really like both Nordland albums, after they abandoned the thrash-y/rock n'roll-y sound. are you also a fan?

i already know Hawkwind, but thanks! =) i'm only really familiar with their early 70s stuff though, something like the 1st 5 albums. their discography is so vast... what else do you recommend out of it?

I think all of the Lock Horn debates on Banger should be required viewing. They go through different genres of metal, debate the importance of bands, discuss the importance of their music and the impact it has on music today. It's without a doubt the best metal channel. They don't focus on just pre-90s metal and aren't stuck up Corey Taylor's ass like everyone else is. They also do really great reviews of new albums and have done some awesome interviews. They also did a really great discussion about sexism in metal that I'm really proud happened. 

I love Hawkwind's songs, especially 'Seven By Seven', Down Through The Night', 'Children of the Sun', 'Devilish Dirge' and 'Magnu'. :flutter:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Viking! Blood Fire Death & Hammerheart are my favorite albums. and i also really like both Nordland albums, after they abandoned the thrash-y/rock n'roll-y sound. are you also a fan?

i already know Hawkwind, but thanks! =) i'm only really familiar with their early 70s stuff though, something like the 1st 5 albums. their discography is so vast... what else do you recommend out of it?

I like all of the Bathory records up to  Twilight of the Gods, including Blood On Ice, which I guess was recorded somewhere in there and remixed and messed around with later on. Although Blood Fire Death is an epic record, the vocals were still the old growly sound, and I still remember how confusing it was when Hammerheart came out, with that slow introduction to Shores in Flames, and which I loved straight away. 

As for Hawkwind, the early years are great, but I also really like the New Wave Psychedelic era. It's a little hard to recommend records because there are so many of them, but 25 Years On, Levitation (particularly the version with a live show as bonus) and Live 79 are all good. There's also a compilation called '77' which is great (I think most of it is from the first few volumes of the Weird Tapes series, which is pretty hard to find these days). 

There are a couple of Youtube channels that between them have pretty much everything by Hawkwind that you'd want to hear: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPdzTNyWwKObN7aTSD3p5XA and https://www.youtube.com/user/Robbsart/videos

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

I like all of the Bathory records up to  Twilight of the Gods, including Blood On Ice, which I guess was recorded somewhere in there and remixed and messed around with later on. Although Blood Fire Death is an epic record, the vocals were still the old growly sound, and I still remember how confusing it was when Hammerheart came out, with that slow introduction to Shores in Flames, and which I loved straight away. 

As for Hawkwind, the early years are great, but I also really like the New Wave Psychedelic era. It's a little hard to recommend records because there are so many of them, but 25 Years On, Levitation (particularly the version with a live show as bonus) and Live 79 are all good. There's also a compilation called '77' which is great (I think most of it is from the first few volumes of the Weird Tapes series, which is pretty hard to find these days). 

There are a couple of Youtube channels that between them have pretty much everything by Hawkwind that you'd want to hear: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPdzTNyWwKObN7aTSD3p5XA and https://www.youtube.com/user/Robbsart/videos

Is there anything hotter than you talking about metal?  :flutter:

I love symphonic metal! Epica is my favourite, their music and lyrics are amazing, Simone's voice is just phenomenal! The Holographic Principle has been on heavy rotation since it was released tbh! One of the best albums I've ever heard!

I also adore Within Temptation, and Tarja Turunen (I know she's not a band but I gotta represent my fellow Finn, and she makes amazing symphonic metal music! Also I adore her christmas album so much omg)!

I like Sirenia too, mostly their albums with Ailyn as lead singer, I'm so sad they replaced her! And Leaves' Eyes was amazing but once they fired Liv they lost my interest because Liv was basically the heart of that band tbh.

I like Nightwish too, but I can't stand Tuomas at all.... He's so smug and condescending! Their recent album I just hate? the lyrics are weak, the music no longer has the 'Nightwish vibe' and they totally wasted Floor Jansen (she's amazing and deserves better tbh). I still like early Nightwish but Endless Forms Most Beautiful is just.... nope.  :flop:  

tumblr_oq0kv3RGWK1r4igkto2_540.jpg

I really love proto-punk bands like The Velvet Ungerground, Iggy Pop, Television and Patti Smith as well as postpunk bands such as Bauhaus, Joy Division and early Nick Cave. I'm not the biggest fan of the more noisy side punk, even though this one of my favorite songs:

Uh, and I also really like some of the newer Punk bands such as Iceage:

I AM MY ONLY GOD