annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

so the lanadelrey subreddit recently had their version of HM survivor and look how big of a fucking mess it is :toofunny:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lanadelrey/comments/78r7p8/survivor_honeymoon_final_round/

the elimination order is as follows:

13. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

12. 24

11. Swan Song

10. God Knows I Tried

9. Honeymoon

8. Terrence Loves You

7. Salvatore

6. Religion

5. Art Deco

4. High by the Beach

3. Freak

2. Music To Watch Boys To/The Blackest Day

Winner- Music To Watch Boys To/The Blackest Day

also some t: The Blackest Day was up for elimination during the tenth round, but the contest runner saved it. 

so basically the top 3 HM songs according to the subreddit are:

3. High By The Beach

2. Freak

1. Music To Watch Boys To

what kind of preteen honeymoon hating twinks :defeated: this is criminal, personal bias about my namesake aside how the fuck did Terrence Loves You, God Knows I Tried, and Honeymoon get paid dust while songs like Freak n High By The Beach hit top 3..(I love HBTB n Freak is barely above DLMBM imo but really..over songs like TBD, Religion, fucking TLY..come ON) I wanna find the UV, Paradise, and BTD ones and see if it's equally as tragic as this

watch shit like In My Feelings hit top three while Heroin is in like 13th place, smfh

e: forgot to mention the MTWBT v TBD score right now, 50.5% want TBD to be eliminated compared to the 49.5 that say MTWBT so :rip:

so the lanadelrey subreddit recently had their version of HM survivor and look how big of a fucking mess it is :toofunny:

https://www.reddit.com/r/lanadelrey/comments/78r7p8/survivor_honeymoon_final_round/

the elimination order is as follows:

13. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

12. 24

11. Swan Song

10. God Knows I Tried

9. Honeymoon

8. Terrence Loves You

7. Salvatore

6. Religion

5. Art Deco

4. High by the Beach

3. Freak

2. Music To Watch Boys To/The Blackest Day

Winner- Music To Watch Boys To/The Blackest Day

also some t: The Blackest Day was up for elimination during the tenth round, but the contest runner saved it.

so basically the top 3 HM songs according to the subreddit are:

3. High By The Beach

2. Freak

1. Music To Watch Boys To

what kind of preteen honeymoon hating twinks :defeated: this is criminal, personal bias about my namesake aside how the fuck did Terrence Loves You, God Knows I Tried, and Honeymoon get paid dust while songs like Freak n High By The Beach hit top 3..(I love HBTB n Freak is barely above DLMBM imo but really..over songs like TBD, Religion, fucking TLY..come ON) I wanna find the UV, Paradise, and BTD ones and see if it's equally as tragic as this

watch shit like In My Feelings hit top three while Heroin is in like 13th place, smfh

e: forgot to mention the MTWBT v TBD score right now, 50.5% want TBD to be eliminated compared to the 49.5 that say MTWBT so :rip:

Poor Lana, her twink fans don’t have any taste

Tbh Terrence Loves You is the most underappreciated song of this album, the bridge is so amazing and the backing vocals are done so beautifully...

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m

I like posting my thoughts on her songs, I get entertained when I'm bored lmao. It's kinda hard ranking the songs in HM since I've never done it and a lot of the songs have the same quality but personally it's:

1. Terrence Loves You - It's a very emotional song and it wasn't my favorite until very recently. Why are her vocals so good in this album ugh. The bridge and the last chorus are everything. 
  2. The Blackest Day - TLY may be my favorite but I think this one is the best in terms of quality, her best songs are the longest ones tbh.  The verses, the chorus and the bridge all have very good melodies, production and lyrics (but trignometry isn't that hard tbh) and the general vibe is perfect. 
  3. Salvatore - Super ethereal and italian lmao. We don't deserve this one. It really deserved a video with Lana in 1930-1950's Italy. 
  4. Swan Song - The chorus is not very good but as a lot of us I wanna get out of my routinary and boring life so I relate to this one a LOT. The bridge is goals.
  5. Art Deco - Iconic chorus. Pretty dope song. Should've been a single.
  6. Music To Watch Boys To - Like AD, addictive chorus and bridge. Her feminine songs are some of her best. This one also is hypnotic. 
  7. Freak - The song may not have the best lines but it's a sexy song so I like it a lot. I love the vocals, like the aAaAaAaAaAah before the second chorus and the bridge.
  8. Religion - I like the guitar on the intro. I love the pre chorus and the chorus. A proper love song. Is this one underrated? I don't know but it's not very mentioned. Again, I like the vocals. Were 5 minutes necessary? 4 minutes were enough for this song to say everything it had to say but I love it anyways. Or maybe it doesn't drag for too long it's just that it's a slow song like every song on this album (which isn't a bad thing don't @@me and my shadows :crazy:
  9. 24 - Obviously I like this one because of the Bond teas. Idk what to think about the "with thoughts of murder and carnage" lyric :biblio: For a long time this was on my top 3. 
  10. High By the Beach - Another dope chorus. This chorus could've been written in 1 minute like Swan Song chorus though, lol. The Billboard error on this track (51 and not 7 i think) is still so tragic :rip:
  11. God Knows I Tried - Even though I'm not religious this one is also ethereal. She may repeat "god knows i..." a lot but the general theme really gets me. Also the damn bridge fuck :defeated:
  12. Honeymoon - The fact that it's #12 doesn't mean I think it's bad or boring. I think it's a very nice song but I don't play it as much as the others. I play this one sometimes when I have to sleep but in a good way, it relaxes me a lot. 
  13. Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood - I like it but why was this necessary?
  14. Burnt Norton - Nice concept but as I've said before; dead space. 

tumblr_o3dsrkyP3X1ug1kl3o1_400.gif

After some time with this record, I think I can finally sum um what I think about it and how I personally feel about Honeymoon.

I mean, I am Lana fan since summer 2011, so I think I can word it without being attacked or with the exception of that graham dude calling me "a hater". 

I haven't listen to the album for a few days, a week maybe til today. I just didn't feel the need to do it, it was nothing in me that was longing for it. 

I revisited it today and I didn't make it through the album. My thoughts started to wander, my focus got lost because there was nothing that was demanding my attention.

After HBTB the album feels like one big note. The pace does hardly change, the lyrics are more miss than hit and there is no change in pace, like AT ALL. All is just slow and not even trying to be interesting while being so.

I don't know how members who are old posters on here feel about this record. Like, people who started posting on here when this site went up and when the Lana craze was alive and breathing  ;)

I have noticed over the time that many, who once posted here frequently, stopped doing it. New members joined, but I wonder where these people went and how they feel about this record in particular.

While BTD was clearly a great pop album with interesting execution and Lana being portrayed as a new superstar, UV was musically superior with an underwhelming execution. But what is Honeymoon? 

I have no clue what this album wants to be. It feels like a mix of confidence and boredom at the same time. Which stuns me, because at the begiing I thought that this record was being the closest to finally execute everything she is all about, but I was wrong.

After all, Lana considers herself as a writer, so what is actually stopping her from releasing well-written songs is a mystery to me. Lines like "there's 24 hours in a day" or "stranger than a stranger" are just incredibly dumb.

Maybe she should stop releasing an album every year. Maybe she should just try to make the lyrics work on paper first and start to build the songs with great harmonies. Maybe she should make an album that gives me variation in pace and dynamics.  Maybe she should not announce a record a year or nine months in advance. Maybe she should break free, live life and go spending time somewhere in places like NYC, London or Berlin to get some inspiration instead of using the same inspiration and boring herself to death in L.A.

I don't know. All I know is that Honeymoon is not doing anything for me.

Maybe it's the music business in general that doesn't offer listeners anything REALLY exciting right now. Sales are going down, artists ain't making lots of money with releasing an album.

Maybe releasing a new album without announcement, but previously announce a tour and re-create this album on tour like a mini-theater is what artists should do. Not like Lana, who struggels to sing 2 or 3 new songs on a tour from a new album, goes down to the screaming crowd, waves good-bye and calls it a day.

Oh wow, he may be banned but he really posted some good tea tapatalk_1446251044913.gif?w=350&h=200&c I do enjoy this record, though.

tumblr_o3dsrkyP3X1ug1kl3o1_400.gif

tbh haven't listened to any HM song in like probably 5 months... it just didn't resonate with me in any way and have no need to return to it

giphy.gif

Genuine question - 

I do love Honeymoon, in fact MTWBT and TBD are some of my all-time favourite LDR songs, but I just don't have as much love for it as a whole unlike all her other records.

I get a confused vibe from it - like it feels like a record which is half 'jazz' and half trap beats? And then some of the songs are packed with emotion (TBD) whereas others seem to try and escape emotion (HBTB)? 

Please can a HM stan explain why it's so special?

giphy.gif ldrclashsmall3.png

Genuine question - 

I do love Honeymoon, in fact MTWBT and TBD are some of my all-time favourite LDR songs, but I just don't have as much love for it as a whole unlike all her other records.

I get a confused vibe from it - like it feels like a record which is half 'jazz' and half trap beats? And then some of the songs are packed with emotion (TBD) whereas others seem to try and escape emotion (HBTB)? 

Please can a HM stan explain why it's so special?

Well for me it's special because of her raw vocals. Like all the intruments used in songs (except for Freak, HBTB and TBD) aren't so potent as BTD. It's a very complex record with it's own theme, that's why you can't love it 24/7. You have to be in the RIGHT mood to listen as a whole album. 

???, ?????????

Well for me it's special because of her raw vocals. Like all the intruments used in songs (except for Freak, HBTB and TBD) aren't so potent as BTD. It's a very complex record with it's own theme, that's why you can't love it 24/7. You have to be in the RIGHT mood to listen as a whole album. 

Yeah I see what you mean actually. I guess I need to appreciate that it is very different from her other albums and it does need a specific mood when you listen to it!

giphy.gif ldrclashsmall3.png