Sign in to follow this  
annedauphine

The Big Ass Graphic Design And Typography Thread

Hey so I wanted to discuss graphic design with yall without it necessarily relating to Lana :) All members are welcome here!

In case you don't know I'm currently in my 2nd year on 4 of studying graphic design which is the only thing I love more than Lana and my ultimate dream is to be a graphic designer. My name is Anne-Dauphine but my graphic designer name is Daytona Mess, which you probably recognize the origin of.

In this thread we could discuss various typographers that we love, typography in general, help requests regarding fonts (I fucking love this shit never hesitate to ask me), share links, share our Behance and our projects, ask for critics (don't be shy), discuss UI/UX, talk about trends, tutorials, resources, tips, and more! It's basically a bigger Lana resources thread but not limited at all to Lana. If you need help regarding something graphic design related do ask the community!

Don't hesitate to promote your work but always be respectful of others  :P

I'll start by sharing a few things I've done recently, now that my style is changing :) And by recommending the work of a designer, of which I had the pleasure to discuss the work of with the great @Coyote: Fabian Fohrer, a cute typographer and graphic designer from Germany, who co-founded Tightype and who makes minimalist and incredible posters and fonts.

Here's one work I love amongst MANYFOLD:

Fabian-Fohrer-1-Poster-Day-December-02.j

And here's a few of my latest works! A few fictional magazines covers. You can find the whole project on my Behance. I'd be glad to have constructive criticism on it and I'd be delighted if you could check out the project  :) I also remade the AKA cover I did in 2015!

9bb36f64869919.5ae0c18d8d22f.png90fa4d64869919.5ae0e9f61178b.pngcb5af564869919.5ae0ddfd74e25.png876cf764869919.5ae0c18d8e40d.png

A cover for MØ's When We Were Young:

34e0af64869919.5ae0c18d8df91.png

And AKA:

6e791164869919.5ae0ddfd7541b.png

ZKcaooE.png

Seeing the name of this thread, it wasn't hard to guess who created it.  :creep:  I know nothing about typography (dafont.com is pretty fun to look up new fonts though, haha), but I do enjoy reading your passionate tweets. :)

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Well I just realized that I'm a dumb fuck that posted this in the wrong section @@Elle I'm sorry can you move it to Conversation Area please :defeated:

i didn't recognise u bc of ur new icon and i was just like who is this binch pretending to be anne

i76mrxw.png 

anne i swear to fuck are u selling prints of those ultraviolence posters since some of those are SO good

klkjdfhjdfhg so many ppl asked me but I never got the balls yet. which ones do you want I'm gonna upload them

ZKcaooE.png

Omg are you?! What is your work :O

I actually found your work on tumblr before and I really loved it! 

I started working on graphic design over 10 years ago. I'm currently designing for a drag queen in Berlin, before that, I worked for some magazines and a theatre. Everything slowed down and I don't even post anymore. I used to use this account https://www.instagram.com/corvalan.designs/

I'm actually getting more into video editing atm

I currently study media art in Poland, there's a lot of drawing and paiting that I haven't really got into in the past but I owned Photoshop and way playing with it since I was 11 and I worked as a graphic designer in a company for 3 months to earn some money for uni life was a freelancer for a very long time so we have typography class, design class, video editing class, visual perception psychology class so it's all very organic and I love all the digital classes I'm taking :excited:

BUT for these 2 years that I'm here I was always admiring you for keeping up with your personal work you do with passion and STILL managing to create amazing shit for uni. It blows my mind since I have 0 spare time for myself now that I'm doing this art stuff full-time. And when you left I was like alright, she's probably majoring or some shit and the time has come!

I'm following this thread from now on, don't let it flop! Hope to post something myself in the near future.

I currently stan Polska Szkoła Plakatu so get into that and tell me what you think of our visual culture :hooker:

And out of my tiny country I only now start to recognize artists and the one that caught my eye is Seymour Chwast, he has no compromises in terms of what he wants to achieve so it comes out weird or out of the box but ultimately is so ME that I'm screaming I love him

Have a nice day booboos

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

Omg I didn't thought I already made a thread lol. I've been willing to make one for so long now. Basically for an update - I'm graduating in June of a Master degree in Graphic Design in Typography after 4 long years. Type design is definitely my area though.

So yeah I'm currently experimenting with variable fonts and it's awesome, here's what I made listening to the song, based off a font of mine

nuE0HnK.gif

Oh and PS, here's part of a mag I made in 2018 featuring Lana amongst others.

e1952c71108521.5bba630fa1442.png

86877b71108521.5bbef79e55f0e.pngc4751571108521.5bbef79e5571a.png

cf088d71108521.5bbef79e53bf9.png

d15fa471108521.5bbef79e540e3.png

71065171108521.5bbef79e54b40.png

c9b3bf71108521.5bbef79e550e1.gif

59cf2c71108521.5bbef79d16ed6.png

ZKcaooE.png

omg so cool!! i love your work. i'm also a graphic design major, but hoping to go into more of the ui/ux field or possibly something with av/tech but that requires being a master of ae so...  :toofunny: 

i could totally relate when u said it was your passion/dream job. being a graphic designer has been my dream job since i was 17 (22 now)!! and i've been messing around in photoshop for a decade now, crazy to think that i would be on the path to something i enjoy as much as graphic design.

Omg I didn't thought I already made a thread lol. I've been willing to make one for so long now. Basically for an update - I'm graduating in June of a Master degree in Graphic Design in Typography after 4 long years. Type design is definitely my area though.

So yeah I'm currently experimenting with variable fonts and it's awesome, here's what I made listening to the song, based off a font of mine

nuE0HnK.gif

Oh and PS, here's part of a mag I made in 2018 featuring Lana amongst others.

e1952c71108521.5bba630fa1442.png

86877b71108521.5bbef79e55f0e.pngc4751571108521.5bbef79e5571a.png

cf088d71108521.5bbef79e53bf9.png

d15fa471108521.5bbef79e540e3.png

71065171108521.5bbef79e54b40.png

c9b3bf71108521.5bbef79e550e1.gif

59cf2c71108521.5bbef79d16ed6.png

Congratulations. I love your design work. Very retro-like and stylish too.  :gclap:

I also play around alot with font types and design ideas, but I dont do it as a job. Just for fun and laughs.

I wish you the best of good times and success in your future artworks and always remember... do it for fun !

Because once you start creating art and it becomes "a job", an artist some times feels like it´s not fun anymore.

So enjoy it.

Cheers

Max

-

Damn I certainly didn't wish to make this thread about me, and I certainly don't want to still! Yeah for me it's just a thread to post nice graphic design and typography stuff and all :) Btw as I said on the resources thread I've been starting to work on a Light Philfont version purely for fun and here's a sneak peak of how it's going. As you see it's just the very early stages. 

Epf7fvr.png

Also here's my current favourite designer, I have a signed poster of hiiiiim. I just want to make stuff as cool as him but his style has an incredible identity

And I just released my font Culver as a specimen, if anyone's interested it's A LOT inspired by Ultraviolence and Hollywood golden era.

ZKcaooE.png

Damn I certainly didn't wish to make this thread about me, and I certainly don't want to still! Yeah for me it's just a thread to post nice graphic design and typography stuff and all :) Btw as I said on the resources thread I've been starting to work on a Light Philfont version purely for fun and here's a sneak peak of how it's going. As you see it's just the very early stages. 

Epf7fvr.png

Also here's my current favourite designer, I have a signed poster of hiiiiim. I just want to make stuff as cool as him but his style has an incredible identity

And I just released my font Culver as a specimen, if anyone's interested it's A LOT inspired by Ultraviolence and Hollywood golden era.

I admire the patience you have to create font letter-types. I have no such patience for lettering. 

I really like your "Culver Grotesk Typeface" , specially the way you created the "R" letter, with its arm-chair-like design.

Most artists would probably do the R like as seen on the Arial font (this type = R) but you decided to re-work it into a charming work of art.

To me that is "art", it is captivating and eye-catching.

Congratulations !  :gclap:  and good luck with your future artwork ideas 

-

I just got a second feature on Behance for me and my mate's font family Aliénor! I'm SO fucking happy! I've been craving a second mention for over a year now and I'm so glad it's for a collaborative project!!! And also a commercial uni project!! We've been working on this font for three months now and it's still far from being ready to sell, but we're getting closer. I mostly worked on the sans serif, but I got the original design idea for the display and creative directed along with Lou pretty much all the font. But it's Lou who wanted to do the specimen and she did a fucking amazing job!

So yeah if you can't read French, Aliénor's concept is that it has variable sized glyphs for the display, meaning the a and such are very narrow and some letters like the rounded ones are very large. In French it's called chasses variables but idk how to say it in English haha. And in turn we made alternates so you can really play with the length of your sentences in capitals. And of course our feature glyphs are the Q, K, and R. The original brief for this font was to remake a fashion magazine we thought was bland so we chose Numéro Paris and also redid a lot of interior pages, that I haven't put online but that I handed in to my teachers. So this is why this font has a strong editorial vibe to it and looks really elegant and sleek and fashion mag like.

Also I've asked for a lot of money (between 2000 and 3000 euros I'm crazy) to a guy who runs a 14k insta followers organisation to redo their WHOLE identity and he didn't fuckin said no!!!!! He said how much would cost full rights and like sis it's more around 10000 euros hehe 

ZKcaooE.png

I just got a second feature on Behance for me and my mate's font family Aliénor! I'm SO fucking happy! I've been craving a second mention for over a year now and I'm so glad it's for a collaborative project!!! And also a commercial uni project!! We've been working on this font for three months now and it's still far from being ready to sell, but we're getting closer. I mostly worked on the sans serif, but I got the original design idea for the display and creative directed along with Lou pretty much all the font. But it's Lou who wanted to do the specimen and she did a fucking amazing job!

So yeah if you can't read French, Aliénor's concept is that it has variable sized glyphs for the display, meaning the a and such are very narrow and some letters like the rounded ones are very large. In French it's called chasses variables but idk how to say it in English haha. And in turn we made alternates so you can really play with the length of your sentences in capitals. And of course our feature glyphs are the Q, K, and R. The original brief for this font was to remake a fashion magazine we thought was bland so we chose Numéro Paris and also redid a lot of interior pages, that I haven't put online but that I handed in to my teachers. So this is why this font has a strong editorial vibe to it and looks really elegant and sleek and fashion mag like.

Also I've asked for a lot of money (between 2000 and 3000 euros I'm crazy) to a guy who runs a 14k insta followers organisation to redo their WHOLE identity and he didn't fuckin said no!!!!! He said how much would cost full rights and like sis it's more around 10000 euros hehe 

wow, it's sooooo incredibly pretty, you're so talented  :flutter:  that font looks like the girl i aspire to be but i know i'll never be  :toofunny:

I never meant to be bad or unwell I was just living on the edge right between heaven and hell & I'm tired of it