Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

For sure, but at least for me, it’s almost relatable. When I think of my most fetishized and fantastical romance, it’s always a tragic fantasy that involves as much heartache as it does romance. Isn’t that one of things we all love about her lol? Living the great romantic tragedies that only play out in our heads that reflect our damaged inner selves?

That actually makes no sense to me. I'm not even going to talk about myself or my friends, like okay maybe we're just a bunch of dysfunctional weirdos with terrible luck when it comes to relationships. But almost every person I've known/talked to -real life acquaintances, people in online forums/groups- has been in a toxic or at the very least highly unpleasant relationship. Drama is not rare. Fighting is not rare. Verbal and psychological abuse is not rare. Physical abuse isn't either, sadly. Alcoholism, drug addiction? Rampant.

Lana might have made all of that up. But for many people, it's real life. It's what they wake up to every single day. And it's exhausting. It's depressing. There's nothing glamorous or sexy about it. I realize that anything can be a kink, and I am aware that there are people who fetishize and glamorize abusive/dead-end/failed relationships, for whatever reason. But I'm having trouble believing -or, I don't want to believe- that most people here or most LDR fans in general feel that way. Like, is this what we're doing here? Really? God.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a bitch, but honestly, I'm mad and upset.

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

Okay I made this really scientific, high-brow diagram. Took ages. You're welcome.

2s7gaz6.jpg

She was driving. Questions?

? then why is she driving on the left side of the road in america. im confused and need an adult

That actually makes no sense to me. I'm not even going to talk about myself or my friends, like okay maybe we're just a bunch of dysfunctional weirdos with terrible luck when it comes to relationships. But almost every person I've known/talked to -real life acquaintances, people in online forums/groups- has been in a toxic or at the very least highly unpleasant relationship. Drama is not rare. Fighting is not rare. Verbal and psychological abuse is not rare. Physical abuse isn't either, sadly. Alcoholism, drug addiction? Rampant.

Lana might have made all of that up. But for many people, it's real life. It's what they wake up to every single day. And it's exhausting. It's depressing. There's nothing glamorous or sexy about it. I realize that anything can be a kink, and I am aware that there are people who fetishize and glamorize abusive/dead-end/failed relationships, for whatever reason. But I'm having trouble believing -or, I don't want to believe- that most people here or most LDR fans in general feel that way. Like, is this what we're doing here? Really? God.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding like a bitch, but honestly, I'm mad and upset.

see i've also had these experiences, but i've romanticised them in order to deal with them. i agree that not everyone feels that way and why the fuck should they?! if they don't why shouldn't they be offended by this schtick. it's understandable

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

shes not. the cameras inverted

Yup. The right side of my very scientific diagram is flipped to illustrate this.

Also her friend has sis' keys on her IG story. Maybe she confiscated them after sis' reckless driving.

2mch7ic.jpg

I fixed them:

a1o4dk.jpg

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

She’s a rich white woman, she never actually experienced poverty

What you’re talking about is the romanticisation of poverty which was a theme throughout her career. She has never experienced that life ergo she her heart cannot speak to it

It’s all fake. When Lana talks about the 50s, it’s fake. When Lana talks about daddies, it’s fake. When Lana talks about gangsters, if’s fake. Lana is fake, to a certain degree, because the name itself is a persona. And that’s largely why she was interesting in the beginning

you know i think this is the reason why i am losing interest in Lana this era.. i guess when she came out i thought / wanted to believe that she actually lived that life. from her vague talking ab doing social work, living on the road, fucking daddies to get by, etc. i thought there was a genuine element.  or i wanted to believe that bc it made her music meaningful.  i dont know her experience, but the way i connected to some of her music made me feel like she must have understood some of the things about the actual tiring gritty way of life of the working poor and the street people and stuff, and how society sets people up for doom gloom and failure, even if you could be a hollywood glamorous pop star or whatever. and like seeing the way she is acting these days with her empty on-brand bougie friends and her cha cha matcha obsession and her lack of depth makes me think it is all absolutely fake, which sucks but is most likely true.  and i have permanent side-eye for Lana as of this era.

see i've also had these experiences, but i've romanticised them in order to deal with them. i agree that not everyone feels that way and why the fuck should they?! if they don't why shouldn't they be offended by this schtick. it's understandable

this is deeefffffinitely true for me, and its one of the reasons i connected with Lana's music. bc "sometimes life is hard" and if you can turn that into something meaningful or darkly beautiful then youre doing something deeper than just having a bad experience at life  :facepalm:  :icant:  :brows3:   :lanasrs2:  :sadcore:  :sadcore6:  :sadcore2:  :sadcore3:  :crying4:

this is deeefffffinitely true for me, and its one of the reasons i connected with Lana's music. bc "sometimes life is hard" and if you can turn that into something meaningful or darkly beautiful then youre doing something deeper than just having a bad experience at life  :facepalm:  :icant:  :brows3:   :lanasrs2:  :sadcore:  :sadcore6:  :sadcore2:  :sadcore3:  :crying4:

same. obviously i'm not suggesting this is true of everyone who is a fan but...... she strikes a chord because i think a consistent theme in her lyrics is denial. she often talks about horrible things and highlights the "beautiful" or "glamorous" aspects of them, which in hindsight is incredibly fucked up. and.. it's also easy for someone who can easily remove themselves from those situations to do that, but it's also something people stuck in them often have to do. so.. it probably creates this weird discord between people who glamorise things they've never known because they're able and those who have HAD to 

She’s a rich white woman, she never actually experienced poverty

What you’re talking about is the romanticisation of poverty which was a theme throughout her career. She has never experienced that life ergo she her heart cannot speak to it

It’s all fake. When Lana talks about the 50s, it’s fake. When Lana talks about daddies, it’s fake. When Lana talks about gangsters, if’s fake. Lana is fake, to a certain degree, because the name itself is a persona. And that’s largely why she was interesting in the beginning

Bravo, full agree, though I would say she’s “playing with artifice” rather than being fake, which, as an artist, she’s of course free to do. It’s a facet of creativity.

She did the ‘white trash’ thing for a while, then tired of it, and moved onto playing international glamour starlet, and was a ‘mafia princess’ in between. These are a series of poses, just as the multiple stage names are.

I think she’s been occasionally brilliant at all of this, which is why I am a fan.

Right now she seems—seems—to be asking us to accept the REAL Lana—that is, the real Elizabeth—with songs like MAC and HTD, but I am not sure we’ll ever see that individual in a pure state, though at least a few cells of the real Elizabeth probably exists in every track she’s ever recorded.

I’m telling you, we’re in ‘Vertigo’ territory here.

By the way, a good example of a contemporary, genuine ‘blue collar’ track that is neither sentimental nor patronizing is Parker Millsap’s ‘Central Pacific.’

I'm sorry, I'm probably just being too sensitive, but it infuriates me. This is how I feel and I can't help it. I understand what you're saying, it might not be a healthy coping mechanism but I'm definitely not in a position to judge, considering my own unhealthy coping mechanisms. We don't all deal with trauma the same way. But the thought of someone NOT having any of that trauma and NOT having suffered through any of these situations, appropriating all that pain to create a ~ tRaGiC & bEaUtiFuL~  damsel in distress persona to tug at people's heartstrings and/or sell albums makes me sick to my stomach. Or just thinking it's "cool", like what the actual fuck :awk:

I'm sorry, I'm probably just being too sensitive, but it infuriates me. This is how I feel and I can't help it. I understand what you're saying, it might not be a healthy coping mechanism but I'm definitely not in a position to judge, considering my own unhealthy coping mechanisms. We don't all deal with trauma the same way. But the thought of someone NOT having any of that trauma and NOT having suffered through any of these situations, appropriating all that pain to create a ~ tRaGiC & bEaUtiFuL~  damsel in distress persona to tug at people's heartstrings and/or sell albums makes me sick to my stomach. Or just thinking it's "cool", like what the actual fuck :awk:

you're not being too sensitive at all! it's personal and it's deeply painful and as you said, everyone deals with these things differently. it absolutely will annoy me if it ever comes out officially that this was all entirely a character of hers. i.. would say though this is probably one of the main questions there is about lana and why her authenticity has been questioned a lot, aside from people wondering if she writes her own songs

you know i think this is the reason why i am losing interest in Lana this era.. i guess when she came out i thought / wanted to believe that she actually lived that life. from her vague talking ab doing social work, living on the road, fucking daddies to get by, etc. i thought there was a genuine element.  or i wanted to believe that bc it made her music meaningful.  i dont know her experience, but the way i connected to some of her music made me feel like she must have understood some of the things about the actual tiring gritty way of life of the working poor and the street people and stuff, and how society sets people up for doom gloom and failure, even if you could be a hollywood glamorous pop star or whatever. and like seeing the way she is acting these days with her empty on-brand bougie friends and her cha cha matcha obsession and her lack of depth makes me think it is all absolutely fake, which sucks but is most likely true.  and i have permanent side-eye for Lana as of this era.

Exactly. Now I feel people like me are just a joke to her. Gutter bitches, sickos with gutter lives that only matter when she decides to imitate us. I'm so disappointed in myself for turning a blind eye to her culture vulture and trauma tourist ways.

i think there's absolutely a difference between going through actual trauma though and going through things most people experience? it depends on your classification of trauma

i mean.. did she not do an unreleased video with marilyn manson that effectively glamorised rape? 

Exactly. Now I feel people like me are just a joke to her. Gutter bitches, sickos with gutter lives that only matter when she decides to imitate us. I'm so disappointed in myself for turning a blind eye to her culture vulture and trauma tourist ways.

oh god just punch me in the gut lol. like it's just a caricature for her to try on. i know i shouldnt feel this strongly about Elizabeth and her music but it's been like 7 years of LDR soundtracking my life now and im running out of songs to listen to.  is it time to stan a new rich liar??  :hoe:

All this bullshit about feeling disgust towards how she exploits certain things but you're gonna continue listening to her anyways

um hello its called self sabotage and unhealthy coping mechanisms  :toofunny:  :toofloppy:  alright who has the zip file (its a joke pls dont warn me, also how many warning points do you get)

All this bullshit about feeling disgust towards how she exploits certain things but you're gonna continue listening to her anyways

I dislike you so strongly. Considering you're a troll, good job. 12 points to Valerie.