Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Just now, honeybadger said:

this is actually an edit (i'm pretty sure? by honeymouns?) and the photoshoot is likely a test shoot for the vogue italia shoot or something related as the wardrobe was the same!

:trisha: either way, I would have loved it as an album cover 

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Just now, Fingertips said:

b3q8mdhp6ks31.jpg?auto=webp&s=2c0b5cc81a

First time seing this lol, thanks so much.

Anyways this cover is so/so ig, the final cover is miles better.

And agree on you about NFR, it really isn't that sonically cohesive (Venice B, Doin Time, Cinnamon, California, Bartender, Hope, Next Best American R, all have very much different sounds to them...)

okay this was originally a status update but i have to post it here so more people see it

it’s been tripping me out for YEARS… does anyone else remember there being a very very slightly different ending to Cinnamon Girl, where instead of the beat just abruptly stopping, that final hi hat echoes into silence? because i swearrrr that was part of the song at some point, but it’s not on my vinyl or anything either which makes me feel like i’m going crazy. since if it’s not on physicals it’s unlikely it was like that on DSPs at any point and then changed later, which is what i thought happened the first time i noticed it seeming different. but i swearrrr it used to be there 😭 it’s one of the biggest cases of the mandela effect i’ve ever experienced, the ending of Cinnamon Girl has seemed so off to me ever since i realized it seemed different than before

i made a quick little edit to prove my point but this is what i remember the outro sounding like the first few months the album was out

https://krakenfiles.com/view/U0rSAJ9cr2/file.html

and now the beat just stops. it sounds so wrong to me because it used to echo I SWEARRRR :defeated:

Listen, NFR was great and has so many amazing songs. The writing was beautiful. However, if you compare it to other albums like Honeymoon, it’s not as good. Don’t get me wrong, NFR is pure poetry and I like the vibe, but compared to other albums, it doesn’t stand out as much. 

EDIT: If NFR is your personal favorite that’s amazing and YOUR opinion ! What I’m trying to get at is the media framing it as her best work because there’s so many other albums that deserve appreciation- if not more :kiss3:

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

Just now, mssainttropez said:

Listen, NFR was great and has so many amazing songs. The writing was beautiful. However, if you compare it to other albums like Honeymoon, it’s not as good. Don’t get me wrong, NFR is pure poetry and I like the vibe, but compared to other albums, it doesn’t stand out as much. 

NFR doesn’t stand out ? Okay now it’s getting weird :mj3: NFR it’s such a great album with beachy vibes and sound of that album it’s way much different than projects before. COTCC is like a country young sister of NFR.

Honeymoon is a masterpiece on it own  but NFR is too :makeup: 

6 minutes ago, mssainttropez said:

I think that's putting it almost too nicely.

But what represents a 'flawed,' weak, or plain bad track will be different to each of us. I don't think there's a single track in all of Lana's oeuvre that we can all agree is good or great. Over Christmas, someone even said they didn't care for 'Video Games.' 

Just now, mssainttropez said:

i think that’s why i get so annoyed about nfr’s hype, to be a lana fan and to know her writing deeply and to have listened to honeymoon, it feels insulting when people say nfr’s the best album or her songwriting highlight. of course the writing is great, it’s lana del rey after all, but nothing on it compares to blackest day, honeymoon, religion, terrence loves you, swan song. 

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

Just now, cherrytropico said:

i think that’s why i get so annoyed about nfr’s hype, to be a lana fan and to know her writing deeply and to have listened to honeymoon, it feels insulting when people say nfr’s the best album or her songwriting highlight. of course the writing is great, it’s lana del rey after all, but nothing on it compares to blackest day, honeymoon, religion, terrence loves you, swan song. 

it shouldn’t feel insulting for people to have a different favorite album than you. for the longest time, honeymoon was my absolute favorite album from LDR and not even NFR could change that when it had first came out. but people like what they like and if we’re being honest, it’s impossible to prove one thing is “objectively better” than another. a lot of people love NFR. a lot of people love Honeymoon. and that’s okay. we can all like what we like and there’s no need to feel insulted. sorry if this sounds patronizing btw i promise im being genuine. kumbaya and all that good stuff xx

giphy.gif

10 minutes ago, Sunset Opal said:

NFR doesn’t stand out ? Okay now it’s getting weird :mj3: NFR it’s such a great album with beachy vibes and sound of that album it’s way much different than projects before. COTCC is like a country young sister of NFR.

Honeymoon is a masterpiece on it own  but NFR is too :makeup: 

Each album stands out, but if you look at her complete discography, I feel like it would be ranked in the middle.  

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

2 minutes ago, yassgrenade said:

it shouldn’t feel insulting for people to have a different favorite album than you. for the longest time, honeymoon was my absolute favorite album from LDR and not even NFR could change that when it had first came out. but people like what they like and if we’re being honest, it’s impossible to prove one thing is “objectively better” than another. a lot of people love NFR. a lot of people love Honeymoon. and that’s okay. we can all like what we like and there’s no need to feel insulted. sorry if this sounds patronizing btw i promise im being genuine. kumbaya and all that good stuff xx

tbh i assumed they were mostly talking abt music critics saying its her songwriting highlight while shitting on the rest of her music for her entire career, which is really insulting imo (you spilled with the rest tho:heart: i don’t mean this to sound patronizing either ily) 

gWCT.gif

:hoe:

10 minutes ago, cherrytropico said:

My thoughts exactly, if NFR is your personal that’s more than fine. I just don’t like the media framing it as her best work because there’s others that also deserve appreciation- if not more. 

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

1 minute ago, mssainttropez said:

Each album stands out, but if you look at her complete discography, I feel like it would be ranked in the middle.  

I guess it’s just differences between our tastes but for me NFR is album that stared “new sound" of Lana but yeah 

19 minutes ago, mssainttropez said:

Couldn't agree more.
I think NFR is overrated.

4 minutes ago, yassgrenade said:

as someone else said i meant it’s insulting when critics trash her entire discography while upholding nfr as her magnum opus. everyone can have their fave album and idc if the fandom absolutely loves it, obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion. there’s no objective measure for which album is better overall, but with lyrics…i think that’s more objective in terms of creativity, melody, use of figurative language, imagery, etc and honeymoon just wins in those categories. also i exaggerate my hate for nfr :sass: it’s not even my least fave. kumbaya xx

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

Norman's lyrics aren't better or worse than her previous albums. She just started writing about different things in a different style that people, including me, found very refreshing.

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

6 minutes ago, angelphoenix said:

tbh i assumed they were mostly talking abt music critics saying its her songwriting highlight while shitting on the rest of her music for her entire career, which is really insulting imo (you spilled with the rest tho:heart: i don’t mean this to sound patronizing either ily) 

now THIS i agree with for sure. it was really bittersweet as a fan to see her go from being hated and torn apart for writing about relationships… to being praised for writing about relationships. in my opinion, Lana hasn’t changed much from the days of BTD apart from the production style ans improving lyrically so for critics to act like NFR was a complete 180 from her past work when it really wasnt, that was frustrating. going back and reading old reviews for any album from BTD-HM is always annoying to me. NFR is my favorite by far, but i definitely hate the way critics acted like it was the only great album she’d ever done.

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, lanasbottom said:

nfr discourse again close this fucking thread :smokeney:

It's enough already :awkney: