Guest Zephyr

MARINA (and The Diamonds)

Agreed. She changed her stage name so she wouldn't feel confined to what people thought "Marina and the Diamonds" was so I find it surprising that everyone else is shocked that she is doing something different.

but she invented it herself,,,,,,, like it's not like britney spears, who was fabricated by her label and given a completely new persona and singing style to make sales, "marina and the diamonds" was marina lambrini diamandis. also she deadass went from doing piano pop to borderline edm to dream pop so saying "i dont wanna feel confined by my name" is not an excuse as clearly nobody was

also like if you follow her reasoning she changed her name to be "herself" and then started to make basic pop songs? like if this is herself does this mean all her previous records are fake? does this mean TFJ was fake?

does this mean nothing happened the day she turned seventeen?

does this mean she doesn't always feel the worst and she doesn't act like she's the best?

does this mean she didn't find what she was looking for in herself?

does this mean her branches aren't heavy?

yall trust way too much marina's word when we know half of the things she says aren't real. heartcore? froot repackage? dr luke? boring pop stars? she changes her mind twice a day

She always says the same shit about being ~reborn~ the time she releases a new album - which is ok, a lot of artists do the same, it's a new era for her the same as for everyone -- but then a few years later she's also making hints she hates her latest release... remember her shading EH back in the day? I'm almost sure she said something similar about froot a while ago. I think she kinda suffers from lack of faith in her own music... which is really sad. And this is also why she tries to do this whole radio-friendly basic thing rn.

but she invented it herself,,,,,,, like it's not like britney spears, who was fabricated by her label and given a completely new persona and singing style to make sales, "marina and the diamonds" was marina lambrini diamandis. also she deadass went from doing piano pop to borderline edm to dream pop so saying "i dont wanna feel confined by my name" is not an excuse as clearly nobody was

also like if you follow her reasoning she changed her name to be "herself" and then started to make basic pop songs? like if this is herself does this mean all her previous records are fake? does this mean TFJ was fake?

does this mean she doesn't always feel the worst and she doesn't act like she's the best?

yall trust way too much marina's word when we know half of the things she says aren't real. heartcore? froot repackage? dr luke? boring pop stars? she changes her mind twice a day

I totally understand your opinion btw and I wasn't trying to come for you or anyone with my original post - just getting that out there cause I do understand everyone's criticisms this era. I just genuinely think she has gotten older and her personality and her goals changed and thus her sound and lyricism has changed - sadly for us, it means it's gotten worse.

I don't think M&TD was fake, I just think she called herself it when she was a young, raw and somewhat mouthy 20-year-old girl who couldn't work out if she wanted to be pop or not and  cutting off "and the Diamonds" is her way of creating a new image, more like her 33-year-old self. This is all just my own way of viewing it though so I could be wrong and she is going more pop for all the wrong reasons (success, selling out) but I think it's just cause shes aged and got more basic as a person lol

decide to totally pack in her career to help the same little whiney gays with their emotional issues through her psychology degree from a poorly ranked university.

But she also gave up on that, that's why she's releasing music to keep her M!LLIONAIREZ$$$ status nnn

You're giving it too much thought. She changed her name 'cause she wanted a name that represents the way she is and the way she thinks now. It's her way of saying "I'm not like I used to be. I changed, I've grown, this is who I am now". That doesn't mean the stuff she made before was fake lmao. What you're saying doesn't even make any sense at all.

ddbf9f67d5d606fd309eba5825b44324b0a60919

God's dead, I said, "Baby, that's alright with me"

she's a 33 year old woman y'all she doesn't wanna walk around with a 20 year old girl cutesy band name 

She's a 33yo woman that does the most bland charts-music and shoots the most unemmorable vacation-resort-commercial music videos.

OAHAHOAANNNGGGE and yOu aRe mY sUpErStArrrrr are not quite mature or adult or anything LOL.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

After hearing the first 4 singles from this upcoming album, I'm honestly glad that she changed her name because the music is so awful that I can at least separate the two

Sky Ferreira / FKA Twigs / Lana Del Rey / Charli XCX / Angel Olsen / Bat For Lashes / Selena Gomez / Roisin Murphy / Hannah Diamond / Rihanna

You're giving it too much thought. She changed her name 'cause she wanted a name that represents the way she is and the way she thinks now. It's her way of saying "I'm not like I used to be. I changed, I've grown, this is who I am now". That doesn't mean the stuff she made before was fake lmao. What you're saying doesn't even make any sense at all.

that was literally my point... she was saying the exact same things in Froot

I may have been overly hyperbolic but it's true (I've been saving all my summers for you), Froot was all about being changed and a new person and grown and having different goals etc. like its the same shit. 

also im giving it a lot of thought bc this summer she was on twitter making a big deal of literally every single word people were saying 

she's a 33 year old woman y'all she doesn't wanna walk around with a 20 year old girl cutesy band name 

this. she's had it since she was like what 17?

Also i am thinking it was also for marketing reasons. I mean did ya'll see her long as name in those Baby singles? lol 

Marina can be quite contrived, and her reasons for things have always been flimsy or superficial (not necessarily a bad thing all the time).

The froot era was kind of a disaster in the way that you could tell how sick she was of her fans, and even of herself, but it was kind of no different than the latter half of the EH era either. She just burns out quick. I mean right at the beginning during the family jewels she said that "her musical candle had already melted 25%"  :toofunny:  This career has always felt like it had some kind of ending. A name change has been a simple way to control image. It's got nothing to do with being more personal, her new songs have the least personality out of anything in her career. Maybe she's come to the end of her personality and this is the result. 

As for the music. There's no denying it's her most insipid work to date. Devoid of any real insights and isn't even beautifully written/sounding. She's been spread completely thin, her candle has pretty much melted. We can expect a few cute songs to come but her singles run has never been this atrocious. Maybe we can all just blame clean bandit.

Sky Ferreira / FKA Twigs / Lana Del Rey / Charli XCX / Angel Olsen / Bat For Lashes / Selena Gomez / Roisin Murphy / Hannah Diamond / Rihanna

She's a 33yo woman that does the most bland charts-music and shoots the most unemmorable vacation-resort-commercial music videos.

OAHAHOAANNNGGGE and yOu aRe mY sUpErStArrrrr are not quite mature or adult or anything LOL.

What's wrong with being in love and happy....who hurt you girl

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

thumb_look-fam-its-not-that-deep-that-an

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

HH is the best song of this era so far imo...

fuckk I am rooting for Fear so bad.

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

Beskrivning saknas.

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy

To Be Human is coming this friday her secomd best song tea

ooh I hope so!!! I avoid snippets so I haven't heard it at all yet

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

Beskrivning saknas.

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy

I think the name change is her label's decision to sound more assimilable for general public. And I think the same of her new basic-type of music. Anyone remember her management's statement from a few weeks/months ago "If she doesn't succeed with this new album we'll be very surprised" or something like that? It just shows how much they're thirsty for her to be some another type of mainstream act. And maybe she's just going with the flow and trying to sell this whole "reborn story" to her fans.