Hello Heaven

How Popular Is Lana In Your Area?

Ain't no one I've met know who the fuck she is :bye:

But when I bought Born to Die from Wal-Mart, only two copies were left. And I have a couple tumblr whore friends who are bound to have heard of her. This bodes well.

My friends all hate her. When I first played "Born to Die" for them, one girl said it reminded her of the music at the 'Chinese nail salon, and that it made her fall asleep.' All of my friends make fun of her to me all the time, saying she's a drug addict and a weirdo and is bound to die by next year. My mom used to be annoyed by her, but I've slowly gotten her to think she's cool. My older sister think she's cool, my younger sister thinks she's weird and annoying.

So this thread has clearly revealed a trend: her hardcore fans are not acquainted with many people at all who like her. In fact, most people, you all are reporting, either dislike her, hate her, mock her, think she's weird and boring, are annoyed by her, or haven't even heard of her! Which begs the question, if we, probably her biggest fans, hardly know anyone who's into her, how the hell has she sold over 2 million records? Where are all those people who bought the album?

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

My mom used to be annoyed by her, but I've slowly gotten her to think she's cool.

Wish I could do that with my dad.... He calls Lana... "Lana 'hang myself off the bannister' Rey" and always calls me depressing when he sees me listening to Lana ;s

My friends only acknowledged who Lana was by her naked shoots last friday... Which is quite a shame because it makes her look like a slut;s

Lana.pngAngel-Headed Hipster

Well, I introduced Lana to a lot of my friends- and they all really like her. Even people who really wanted to hate her.

And in general, I think Lana is actually quite popular in Baltimore. She has the kind of aesthetic that people here can connect to, I think. Diners and motels and trash culture and that sort of thing. She has a really campy side that is very baltimore (like in Kinda Outta Luck). So, I think she's actually pretty popular. When my sister and I and my best friend all went to see her in NYC, there was at least one other couple who was on our bus going to see her as well

lol pretty sure nobody knows who she is around here. At this point, only 2 people I know have mentioned her or one of her songs but hopefully the H&M campaign will make more people take notice of her. Although they might just assume she's some random model...

So this thread has clearly revealed a trend: her hardcore fans are not acquainted with many people at all who like her. In fact, most people, you all are reporting, either dislike her, hate her, mock her, think she's weird and boring, are annoyed by her, or haven't even heard of her! Which begs the question, if we, probably her biggest fans, hardly know anyone who's into her, how the hell has she sold over 2 million records? Where are all those people who bought the album?

Exactly! I like how good she's doing in France, but weirdly enough, people don't talk that much about her. They are either hater or fan. The rest of the population have no clue of who she is.

She's very popular in the UK and in Germany for sure, France is special since english speaker are like unicorns and french are quiet chauvin in their tastes and likes, US/UK trends never trend as much in here as in other european countries.

up45I.gif

Guest MissDaytona

IDK anyone who likes her but I wouldn't mind. It's not like I own her lol and I want her to be successful if she stays in the industry

My mom said the song "Born to Die" is something you'd kill yourself to and that "Diet Mt. Dew" was dumb

Guest Maru the Cat

I know of a few people that like her through Facebook. I haven't talked to anyone irl about Lana besides my sister. (I really need to make friends). :\ She doesn't really like Lana's music, but insists on BLASTING JOANNA NEWSOM WITH HER HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, AGGRAVATING VOICE.

Some people from my school who once thought she was a "boring, dead-sounding meth junkie" now messaged me, "OMG I'M OBSESSED WITH LANA DEL RAYY, OMG!! DIET MOUNTAIN DEW IS SOOO GOOD, AND VIDEO GAMES"

And I sit here thinking, "Mhm, now you say this."

I'm a trendsetter.

She doesn't really like Lana's music, but insists on BLASTING JOANNA NEWSOM WITH HER HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, AGGRAVATING VOICE.

True talent, now that's a voice, Lana can't sing live lol

Um.

A friend of mine in LA has a sister who nears my adoration and mild obsession, but that's the only other hardcore fan I've ever come close to meeting.

However, I am working on all my school 'pals.' We'll have to see. :creep:

Exactly! I like how good she's doing in France, but weirdly enough, people don't talk that much about her. They are either hater or fan. The rest of the population have no clue of who she is.

She's very popular in the UK and in Germany for sure, France is special since english speaker are like unicorns and french are quiet chauvin in their tastes and likes, US/UK trends never trend as much in here as in other european countries.

she's also doing well in australia! france and australia (sometimes along with germany) are special places, with an acute sensitivity and appreciation towards beauty (in general and particularly in music - jeff buckley was first celebrated there, too!) :)

regarding my area, here in argentina some people are aware of lana, and i've turned a few onto her, including my mom (!), but irl i don't know any true fans :( most adored "video games", but i have to say that those i showed her music to, it had to be with no visuals, because when they saw her image in videos they were immediately prejudiced :/ people can be so stupid sometimes, can't they? to miss out on a wonderful artist because she altered her name and look...it really is a pity. as many of you know, i wish lana had never had any work done (because it is notorious that something isn't natural about her face, especially in the "blue velvet" video) but i never forget what's important: the amazing music and the complex and wonderful singer-songwriter who makes it! thus, i will crusade on and try to spread the word. lana's worth sharing ♥