Beautiful Loser

Lana on Rolling Stone's list of Best Singers of All Time

On 1/2/2023 at 9:25 AM, cherrytropico said:

help why is billie eilish on this list :biblio: 

Because she's a better singer than Lorde, and they wanted somebody like Lorde on the list (Lorde isn't on the list right?)?. Also in cognitive psychology, there's something called a "recency effect" for recalling list items.

Which twink intern made this list? 

On 1/2/2023 at 8:39 AM, GeminiLanaFan said:

I really don’t like nasal voices :true:

true, she always had that nasally quality to her voice like you said, but it wasn’t as proéminent as it is now IMO. 
im from Canada and Celine is considered a national treasure and someone you should worship and kiss the ground beneath her feet and even though I used to love her, I really can’t stand her anymore. 

I saw her live in 2016 and I was blown away. One of the greatest live vocal performances I've ever heard. Better than some of her studio albums. 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

36 minutes ago, domandapiano said:

I haven’t looked at this list but knowing Joni Mitchell isn’t in it is all I need to know it’s fully a piece of clickbait trash. :smokes:

She's at number 50. I had to click on a red rectangle (under Sade, at 51) to find her (and Ella Fitzgerald too).

Billie Ellish finding her way on any ‘greatest’ list is embarrassing. Girl probably won’t even be relevant in 3 years, she’s Lorde 2.0 with less talent. Taylor on this list too? Lmao 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

Billie Eilish is a big artist, especially to younger kids and I’m certain her music has inspired other musicians - just look at this Eurovision artist who performed a song many thought resembled Billie - but she’s only been an artist for... what, five-six years? And she’s still young, so her artistry will definitely develop into something else in the future, but we haven’t seen much of that yet. I think it’s too early to add her to this list, there’s no doubt she’s popular now and has been for a couple of years, but it’s too early to speak about "originality, influence, the depth of an artist’s catalog, and the breadth of their musical legacy" like the magazine says the list is based on. I don’t listen to her music so I can’t really be a judge, but I wouldn’t say she has a large depth of catalog from the things I’ve heard. (Maybe that’s one of the reasons she’s so low on the list though. Maybe she’s included because she won all those Grammys.)

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

5 minutes ago, Beautiful Loser said:

Billie Eilish is a big artist, especially to younger kids and I’m certain her music has inspired other musicians - just look at this Eurovision artist who performed a song many thought resembled Billie - but she’s only been an artist for... what, five-six years? And she’s still young, so her artistry will definitely develop into something else in the future, but we haven’t seen much of that yet. I thinks it’s too early to add her to this list, there’s no doubt she’s popular now and has been for a couple of years, but it’s too early to speak about "originality, influence, the depth of an artist’s catalog, and the breadth of their musical legacy" like the magazine says the list is based on. I don’t listen to her music so I can’t really be a judge, but I wouldn’t say she has a large depth of catalog from the things I’ve heard. (Maybe that’s one of the reasons she’s so low on the list though. Maybe she’s included because she won all those Grammys.)

I think the point is that Billie is no vocalist.

16 minutes ago, West Coast said:

I think the point is that Billie is no vocalist.

I’d argue that she is. She’s different with her whisper-y approach, that’s all.

But like someone else mentioned earlier too, kinda weird how no rappers are on the list. Since RS isn’t counting lyrics or songwriting to the list, how to deliver lines feels so important and that’s something rappers an hip-hoppers have to consider, right?

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

8 minutes ago, Beautiful Loser said:

I’d argue that she is. She’s different with her whisper-y approach, that’s all.

But like someone else mentioned earlier too, kinda weird how no rappers are on the list. Since RS isn’t counting lyrics or songwriting to the list, how to deliver lines feels so important and that’s something rappers an hip-hoppers have to consider, right?

I just think the whole list is kinda bogus, they doubled down after receiving criticism and explained the reasoning and criteria they used to make the list and it makes even less sense then it did before they gave an explanation. I'm sure they made the list quickly and forgot important/influential acts in the industry, present and past, and instead of acknowledging that, they're juste being random about the whole thing.

I think Billie has a nice voice, but I reckon that her whispery thing requires less technique and practice than other singers actually put into their craft. 

On 1/3/2023 at 6:40 AM, Surf Noir said:

this may some oddly specific but are layne staley/chris cornell on this list? if not, that is insane

I was lucky enough to see Soundgarden just before Superunknown came out, and I think it was one of the best live vocal performances I've ever heard from a male singer.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

12 hours ago, West Coast said:

I think Billie has a nice voice, but I reckon that her whispery thing requires less technique and practice than other singers actually put into their craft. 

i could sing like billie when i first started singing with no technique or vocal training. i just have a naturally higher/soft voice, so it’s not difficult to sing airy the way she does. that’s why i don’t understand her being on this list, like shit put me on it too lol 

but the more i think about it, she does have influence on modern singers for sure, and that’s one of the criteria for this list. i’ve seen a lot of cover channels/music show contestants try to emulate her. plus, she was ranked all the way down at #198 so it’s fair enough 

we’re gonna party like it’s 1949

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀  ⠀          ⠀     :¨ ·.· ¨:

⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀ ⠀⠀   ⠀                  `· . ꔫ

On 1/3/2023 at 6:46 PM, bluechemtrails said:

The RS list is so random and wrong, especially considering the critics' ratings. :hillary:

For these 200 singers, I've created a better (but still not perfect) list that takes into account the artist critics score on albumoftheyear.org (and also the score of the singer's main band, if that's relevant), which I think is the average critics score of the albums.

If you take the pure score, no matter if the singer has only one or hundreds of reviews, Lana would rank 86th out of those 200 singers.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c1tk-GM60v6b_Im4mhmnKy6kbpuX-76_/edit?usp=share_link&ouid=106546559258394160245&rtpof=true&sd=true

But if you also take into account the number of reviews, which means that the score becomes more stable as the number of ratings increases, Lana would rank 54th here!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_v8BrCHlRyeQmBmRPh9SHcOdO1ivqWgs/edit?usp=share_link&ouid=106546559258394160245&rtpof=true&sd=true

I think this list is more fair and objective.

Of course, there are some weak points here, for example, modern singers have much more reviews in smaller magazines, while in earlier times the reviews were perhaps a bit stricter. And there are less or no reviews for non-English artists (like Édith Piaf) and so on.... There are certainly some singers with better scores who are not on the RS list at all.

I've improved my rankings a bit by averaging the scores of each artist's albums, which is fairer because newer albums tend to have more ratings and thus got more weight.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pMccQzOLNjhJeFAZf4Q2KUiDZAaeILbD/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=114071724603519969365&rtpof=true&sd=true

The problem is still that older albums have few reviews, almost all of them coming from Rolling Stone itself or All Music, but at least they seem to come from real critics. Many albums have also not been rated yet and are not counted here, but at least the most important ones seem to be included.

So now artists with a long career and more recorded albums have an advantage, which is good because they have proven themselves more. For stability, I still adjusted the score to a value that shows the average score if the next album had a zero rating. So if you've recorded a lot of albums, a zero rating doesn't have as big an impact as if you only had two or three albums.

The interesting result now shows that many of the highly rated artists were male. The first female singer is Sandy Denny of Fairport Convention at #18 and the best female singer still active is PJ Harvey at #26.

Lana ranks at #93 (33rd female), just behind the short-lived but highly regarded Kurt Cobain. That looks fair, because there really are many successful singers in the world in many genres who have achieved a lot, and she, unlike most, can still rise. For example, if her next album had an average score of 73, she would move up 10 places or even more if it was rated as high as NFR.

Note that these are now only the 200 artists listed by Rolling Stone. There are still many smaller and lesser-known singers (such as Adrianne Lenker of Big Thief) who would push the others even further down through their good critic ratings.

This thread made me realize that I need to catch up on older music. I’m so busy trying to listen to the newest thing that I don’t know much music from the OG trailblazers like Celine, Elle Fitzgerald and Bob Dylan