Elle

Lasso - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

OMG A ZODIAC RELEASE  I CHOSE TO BELIEVE:gurl:

11 hours ago, DCooper said:

Zodiac - Lasso lead single :ma:

:true::true::true:

j9Fpjea9OY.webp

"Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon."

Can someone explain to me what Southern Gothic is supposed to sound like, I only know of Ethel Cain and while the songs are good, I can’t really listen to them because they’re too dark for me. Any other examples in that genre?

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

1 hour ago, Beautiful Loser said:

Can someone explain to me what Southern Gothic is supposed to sound like, I only know of Ethel Cain and while the songs are good, I can’t really listen to them because they’re too dark for me. Any other examples in that genre?

The genre is featured across many mediums like movies, theatre and music. Basically, from from I read about, it’s all about living in the south of the USA, including all that is weird, bizarre, dark and forbidden. Criminality, witchcraft, malformed beings, the world of the spirits, satanic cults, religious themes could all be on said songs (and the most « extreme » themes). It can also be about forbidden sexuality, family lines, tight-knit communities, small-town vibes, going to church, etc. I don’t know any other artist who is Southern Gothic except Ethel Cain like you mentioned (I really like her but can’t bring myself to listen to all of her songs, some are way too dark for me :bebe: But Preacher’s Daughter has some amazing tracks that aren’t too dark)

If the rumour is true, Zodiac being very dark in tone could be a great transition between OB and Lasso (if it’s coming at some point haha).

1 hour ago, Sunbather Moonchaser said:

Wait so is she releasing something? :awkney:

A new jacket apparently. 

Zodiac could be officially released before Lasso according to Pop Insider on X.

edit: the tweets got deleted 😭 

15 minutes ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

The genre is featured across many mediums like movies, theatre and music. Basically, from from I read about, it’s all about living in the south of the USA, including all that is weird, bizarre, dark and forbidden. Criminality, witchcraft, malformed beings, the world of the spirits, satanic cults, religious themes could all be on said songs (and the most « extreme » themes). It can also be about forbidden sexuality, family lines, tight-knit communities, small-town vibes, going to church, etc. I don’t know any other artist who is Southern Gothic except Ethel Cain like you mentioned (I really like her but can’t bring myself to listen to all of her songs, some are way too dark for me :bebe: But Preacher’s Daughter has some amazing tracks that aren’t too dark)

If the rumour is true, Zodiac being very dark in tone could be a great transition between OB and Lasso (if it’s coming at some point haha).

Mm, Zodiac is the only song we've heard that would fit into that description. I want her to release it, mostly just to read people's and media's rections lol. That song is a bit too dark for me... I don't know how much I'd listen to it if it were to be released. It leaves me feeling icky and it's just disgusting to think of what happened to the victims. But I do think it's beautiful of Lana to honor their memories, although a bit strange because I doubt she was close to any of them. I'd like to hear her talk about the song, what made her write it, if there's something more than just a strange fascination of it all. I'd like to think she must've been worried herself, since she's surely been around that area where they were murdered too.

Thanks for taking time to reply! :)

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

1 hour ago, Beautiful Loser said:

Southern Gothic (also known as Gothic Americana, or Dark Country) is a genre of country music rooted in early jazz, gospel, Americana, gothic rock and post-punk. Its lyrics often focus on dark subject matter. - from the Wikipedia page

Sorry it's too early in the morning lol, I can't think of any artists I liked bcs this is a new term, but even so it makes me crave an older folk/country sound. I'd say maybe Gambling Bar Room Blues by Jimmie Rodgers and House of the Rising Sun, the early recordings of it by Clarence Ashley and The Animals version (my fave) as well!

616fd6f9f97232f6e74da18866f3cc83.gif

𝕴 𝖆𝖒 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖜𝖔𝖗𝖑𝖉 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝖍𝖎𝖉𝖊𝖘 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖚𝖓𝖎𝖛𝖊𝖗𝖘𝖆𝖑 𝖘𝖊𝖈𝖗𝖊𝖙 𝖔𝖋 𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖙𝖎𝖒𝖊

Lana at Anfield Stadium? Yes please :wubna: I want to believe so badly

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

1 hour ago, GeminiLanaFan said:

The genre is featured across many mediums like movies, theatre and music. Basically, from from I read about, it’s all about living in the south of the USA, including all that is weird, bizarre, dark and forbidden. Criminality, witchcraft, malformed beings, the world of the spirits, satanic cults, religious themes could all be on said songs (and the most « extreme » themes). It can also be about forbidden sexuality, family lines, tight-knit communities, small-town vibes, going to church

it sounds like she's already given us an introduction with Ocean Blvd :judgingu3:

It's also interesting to see what she has to say on this topic in her instagram story (which includes The Grants)

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h0OjE3OTIyNjU5ODgyOTQyMzI2?story_media_id=3192748893376505848_1707509864&igsh=aW0wb3JlbmFqemF6

I love Zodiac but my hype is killed and my heart has been broken so many times believing all those random "insider" rumours, so I'm just...less delusional right now. :sadcore2:

13 hours ago, Ice Cream Ice Queen said:

idk i can totally see Zodiac giving southern gothic with the right production. And Zodiac has similar vibes to In God’s Time too imo . Manifesting the aura of those two songs for the entirety of Lasso :legend:

We don't know if the Fenway into or "The Mirror" is In Gods Time tho - I think you meant this song? Because Idk any other teased songs besides Henry and Fenway intro

2.gif

2 hours ago, Beautiful Loser said:

Mm, Zodiac is the only song we've heard that would fit into that description. I want her to release it, mostly just to read people's and media's rections lol. That song is a bit too dark for me... I don't know how much I'd listen to it if it were to be released. It leaves me feeling icky and it's just disgusting to think of what happened to the victims. But I do think it's beautiful of Lana to honor their memories, although a bit strange because I doubt she was close to any of them. I'd like to hear her talk about the song, what made her write it, if there's something more than just a strange fascination of it all. I'd like to think she must've been worried herself, since she's surely been around that area where they were murdered too.

Thanks for taking time to reply! :)

I like the snippet we heard of the song but the concept seems very strange to me. Especially naming the victims. Not sure why now when this happened so many years ago. But I’ll take any new song that doesn’t have Quavo.