Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

It's obvious that we are in different phases in our relationship with Lana. I still care about her as a person but much less for her music compared with the UV era when I was at my height of my Lana obsession. With a certain detachment, I see differently her output compared with the groupies from here (which I understand btw because I was in the same place a while ago). I have some unpopular issues this era:

I cannot connect emotionally with her latest singles (Love and LFL) for different reasons. I'm too old to be preached to and to enjoy her faux escapism (through suicide again) which was implied in LFL (less in the song but was obvious in the LFL video).

LFL, the single, underlines everything that is wrong in her artistic approach: lazy lyrics full of clichés, plagiarism, lazy singing and no real message. The video, which is in my opinion one of her worst, underlines that she is still lying about her influences. The video is clearly alluding to suicide at the end and it's just too much coincidence with the Entwistle story to believe her that she never heard about it beforehand. The fact that she quoted old, famous lyrics in all her released songs this era is just inexcusable from a 32 y.o. artist. I hope that I will not hear any namedropping, or famous quotes on her remaining songs from the album.

More disappointing is that she alluded with Love to a positive message, which was btw well executed with a lovely video, just to come back to this campy suicide theme.

Her style of singing, which marred HM, is full of mumbled lines as she is waking up from a long sleep. This hinders her beautiful voice and frankly is rarely appropriate for the song. All her latest snippets are full of mumbled lines and it’s barely understandable what she is singing about.

What was the purpose of gathering this arguably great set of collaborations if you hide your release in late July? As the charting of the LFL single pointed out the collabs alone with not help her selling the record. I think that she had a different plan in her mind before starting this era, she felt maybe that is the time for her to come out again before the GP but she lost her courage on the way and pushed back the album when nobody is looking.

I tried to watch her BBC set again and it was just as sad: she was too often out of tune and off pitch. I'm so bored seeing her strolling up the stage like a shy schoolgirl in a minidress.

I hate that she's cosying up to the rapper scene. It seems forced from her like that latina thing that she tried out in Tropico. Her G Eazy thing is just like...her picture with the spinner: silly and embarrassing.   

End of rant. I will take a pause until her album is coming out because this Instagram teasing is just lame

Her style of singing, which marred HM, is full of mumbled lines as she is waking up from a long sleep. This hinders her beautiful voice and frankly is rarely appropriate for the song. All her latest snippets are full of mumbled lines and it’s barely understandable what she is singing about.

I am so agreed to this...

Also in her lives she mumbles some lines , she skips some other lines like "I don't care, I'm kinda bored and I dont' even try"

...just you and me feeling the heat even when the sun goes down...

It's obvious that we are in different phases in our relationship with Lana. I still care about her as a person but much less for her music compared with the UV era when I was at my height of my Lana obsession. With a certain detachment, I see differently her output compared with the groupies from here (which I understand btw because I was in the same place a while ago). I have some unpopular issues this era:

I cannot connect emotionally with her latest singles (Love and LFL) for different reasons. I'm too old to be preached to and to enjoy her faux escapism (through suicide again) which was implied in LFL (less in the song but was obvious in the LFL video).

LFL, the single, underlines everything that is wrong in her artistic approach: lazy lyrics full of clichés, plagiarism, lazy singing and no real message. The video, which is in my opinion one of her worst, underlines that she is still lying about her influences. The video is clearly alluding to suicide at the end and it's just too much coincidence with the Entwistle story to believe her that she never heard about it beforehand. The fact that she quoted old, famous lyrics in all her released songs this era is just inexcusable from a 32 y.o. artist. I hope that I will not hear any namedropping, or famous quotes on her remaining songs from the album.

More disappointing is that she alluded with Love to a positive message, which was btw well executed with a lovely video, just to come back to this campy suicide theme.

What was the purpose of gathering this arguably great set of collaborations if you hide your release in late July? As the charting of the LFL single pointed out the collabs alone with not help her selling the record. I think that she had a different plan in her mind before starting this era, she felt maybe that is the time for her to come out again before the GP but she lost her courage on the way and pushed back the album when nobody is looking.

I tried to watch her BBC set again and it was just as sad: she was too often out of tune and off pitch. I'm so bored seeing her strolling up the stage like a shy schoolgirl in a minidress.

I hate that she's cosying up to the rapper scene. It seems forced from her like that latina thing that she tried out in Tropico. Her G Eazy thing is just like...her picture with the spinner: silly and embarrassing.   

End of rant. I will take a pause until her album is coming out because this Instagram teasing is just lame

I can agree about the mumbling singing. I think part of that disconnected singing style worked on a lot of songs in Honeymoon because the album itself seemed to be--to a certain extent--about disconnection, watching from the sidelines, and at times the style helped to add more depth/complexity to the lyrics ("Religion", for example, doesn't seem to be a "happy" song at all despite the instrumentation and lyrics, and lines like "I need your love" end up having much darker connotations based on the way she interprets the lines). 

With the new songs/snippets she's released, it's really hard to engage as a listener because it sounds like she is rarely engaging with the material at all. And that sucks because in the past she's been so expressive, even if it's more subtle compared to singers who scream their lyrics, each line and the way she sang felt purposeful and like she was carefully using tone to be part of the story of the song.

I think that's why White Mustang caught my attention so much, because it sounds like she was using her voice again as part of the story, rather than just passively reciting her lyrics. That, and the lyrics we have set up a great introduction for a potential story in song.

V unpopular but I am so here for political/preachy songs on this new record. Personally, I think it's an artist's duty to use his or her platform for good in what ever way they feel comfortable. I think that when she said this record was "for the fans" she meant that it was a record that was supposed to speak to them, their hopes and worries. I think she's falling off of that track a little bit with her more classic Lana songs like Cherry and White Mustang but I like that she's making an effort to be more "political." Especially in these dark times  :creep:

Also, everyone saying it's "forced" can screw off and stop being so cynical.  :crossed:

V unpopular but I am so here for political/preachy songs on this new record. Personally, I think it's an artist's duty to use his or her platform for good in what ever way they feel comfortable. I think that when she said this record was "for the fans" she meant that it was a record that was supposed to speak to them, their hopes and worries. I think she's falling off of that track a little bit with her more classic Lana songs like Cherry and White Mustang but I like that she's making an effort to be more "political." Especially in these dark times  :creep:

Also, everyone saying it's "forced" can screw off and stop being so cynical.  :crossed:

I agree. If someone thinks it's forced, then they obviously are so careless about world issues that they find it offensive for artists to care LMAO. I also think it's somewhat of a duty to show your stance and desire for change when you're famous.

And yeah, Cherry and White Mustang just shows that Lana hasn't suddenly changed and now 100% activist. She's just doing her best, while still singing about what gets to her other than political themes. 

I hate fine china

same.. imo some parts are nicely done but I can't get over some of the awkward lyrics and horrid bridge.. if it's meant to be a story dont fckin say the title 3-4 times goddamnit

i skip video games everytime it comes on my shuffle

paradise, despite having most of my least listened to songs, is still my favorite album purely because ive had sex to BD, Tropico and Ride MV was a highlight of my year, and it was my first Lana album i got to experience being released.

UV has my most least favorite songs and also has the most forgettable second half of an album in recent memory

i found HM to be very bland in instrumentation, it was pretty-sure... but every song sounding somewhat similar just made the album something to play in a background while youre reading or painting. Its not a blast in your car album like BtD was.

ive hated her basic makeup looks ever since her departure from BtD/Para/Early UV up until pre-HM and then started hating it again for LfL. the darker lip with the weird liner, huge lashes that dont go far enough in, and the weird thin eyeliner in the Love MV made me feel weird

also my favorite song from UV is florida kilos which ive seen so much hatred for  :crossed:

but even then shes an angel and i love her :teehee: