sweetlana

Lana Del Rey Interviewed By Electronics Beats Magazine

Health-care, feminism are not intimate subjects LOL...its not like the interviewer asked what is the brand of her tampon. I dont understand how making questions about religion, politics or feminism can be considerated intimate. They are general questions about how she sees society and the world she lives in. Intimate is asking personal questions about her boyfriend and her personal life.

Different people, different concepts of intimacy, I guess, but I'd much sooner answer the brand of tampon question or some other equally silly and ultimately harmless "invasive" question than talk about my political affiliation or any other type of ideology with some journo - especially considering our increasingly PC-obsessed / easily offended society. Even more so if I were famous; my motto would definitely be "not here for the drama".

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

Health-care, feminism are not intimate subjects LOL...its not like the interviewer asked what is the brand of her tampon. I dont understand how making questions about religion, politics or feminism can be considerated intimate. They are general questions about how she sees society and the world she lives in. Intimate is asking personal questions about her boyfriend and her personal life.

Why do you want to fuck off fans that doesn't share your personal political belief. Democrat or Republican ,we are all Lana fans.

Why do you want to fuck off fans that doesn't share your personal political belief. Democrat or Republican ,we are all Lana fans.

not just democrat and repub, there are also fans of lana from countries other than america! 

4r9w86.jpg

PJ Harvey who was considered a feminist with her early albums, never thought of herself being one. TEN years later she would finally start answering questions about it saying that she is not informed enough about the different directions in feminism etc and that she struggles to consider herself one just because she doesn't know all about the history of feminism and that she needs to read more about it. 

People should really calm down when it comes to this. It's quite a difficult topic to answer to. (except you are into Beyonce feminism a la "I'm a grown woman, I can do whatever I want") and keep it that simple.

I am not from US so I am neither democratic or republican. Lana is a person like you and me why cant she have opinions? Talking about health care is normal for artists in europe and south america tbh. Talk about politics is normal. Why not be allowed to make constructive critics? Its so funny how in US the country that calls themselves the land of freedom no one can say what they think without being criticized for it. Not really for the opinions they have but for the fact that they expressed them. Kind of Ironic don't you think?

glgcDdT.gif

I am not from US so I am neither democratic or republican. Lana is a person like you and me why cant she have opinions? Talking about health care is normal for artists in europe and south america tbh. Talk about politics is normal. Why not be allowed to make constructive critics? Its so funny how in US the country that calls themselves the land of freedom no one can say what they think without being criticized for it. Not really for the opinions they have but for the fact that they expressed them. Kind of Ironic don't you think?

i love you. 

4r9w86.jpg

PJ Harvey who was considered a feminist with her early albums, never thought of herself being one. TEN years later she would finally start answering questions about it saying that she is not informed enough about the different directions in feminism etc and that she struggles to consider herself one just because she doesn't know all about the history of feminism and that she needs to read more about it. 

People should really calm down when it comes to this. It's quite a difficult topic to answer to. (except you are into Beyonce feminism a la "I'm a grown woman, I can do whatever I want") and keep it that simple.

She probably doesn't want to be labelled and put in a box, I suppose. I understand that she doesn't want to answer questions straight up but I was personally a bit confused as I thought she might have had a stronger opinion concerning it but it certainly doesn't change my views of her.

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

I found this quite interesting as there is something similar about Lana and PJ Harvey that I can't quite put my finger on 

I don't know why it's becoming "worrisome" that Lana appears to have a multi-dimensional personality. While I love when Lana's humble and sweet, interviews like this are delicious to the brain because it's fresh. It's human. It's what a majority of the media asked for when they said she was just an emotionless doll.

I don't see much of a different Lana, I've read a few similar interviews from a few months back, so I'm not sure what is really the problem with some of her responses. I laughed with her, I took humor out of a lot of her cynical responses. I don't know, I read this a lot differently than it seems others have. Everything just seemed very casual and facetiously "uppity" to me, while also keeping the "I don't give a fuck" rather real and clear.

That's all I see here, just someone with substance whose feelings are raw and uninhibited. Which is as they should be. I don't think it's her growing an ego, I think it's just her getting her backbone back and being able to articulate her feelings fearlessly without feeling like she owes the world someone sweet and lily-livered. Sorry, I'll take a Lana who can be humble some times while giving the critics a clear middle finger while she spills salt in their wounds with a smug smirk on the occasion. She may be talking about how it's affected her, but if you look at where she is now compared to what a lot of articles and reviews had to say about her, all of it sounds very "Look who's laughing now?"

Even when she says that she is disconnected from other artists. I don't think there's anything uppity or egotistical about that. So many artists have had the same answer, she's no exception. You do get to that point as an artist that you start feeling like you identify more with yourself and your experiences than you do the experiences of other artists and the work they did based on those experiences. She's growing self-sufficient as an artist. And she sees that other artists just aren't doing the same thing.

I don't know, I didn't grab anything worth breaking a sweat over. She's complex and sometimes her feelings are conflicting, that says a lot more than most artists and human beings. She has substance, it just isn't always the sweet, soft-spoken kind. And I like it that way. She's fallen in shit and walked out in gold so many times, sometimes modesty just isn't warranted. It especially isn't warranted when you've taken every article and review about you to the chin so many times. Lana should be entitled to saying "Fuck them, I know what I do and I do it great." There isn't enough of that. Right away so many people chalk it up to having an inflated ego.

It can never be just being secure in your craft, loving what you do and knowing that you do it well; I mean, who does that? You've got to be an idiot if you don't stay on the ground long enough to let everyone else throw a few extra kicks on you before sticking their thumb in the air like they're Caesar, like their opinion of your talent is all that can validate your existence or worth as an artist. (CUE THE EYEROLL)

... Get real. Every time an artist finally starts being more self-assertive and fending for themselves and all the time they invested into their work, right away no one wants it anymore. I'm sick of insecure artists.

And this isn't to anyone here, this is just a random rant, I'm just growing as tired of the "Where's Lana gone?" kind of responses as I've gotten of what most of the general public and the media in America has had to say about her like as if they have not let a single talented soul slip through their fingers in the past decade. Lana hasn't gone anywhere, she's just not cherry-picking what thoughts she wants to showcase for her interviews. And I fucking praise that.

I don't know why it's becoming "worrisome" that Lana appears to have a multi-dimensional personality. While I love when Lana's humble and sweet, interviews like this are delicious to the brain because it's fresh. It's human. It's what a majority of the media asked for when they said she was just an emotionless doll.

I don't see much of a different Lana, I've read a few similar interviews from a few months back, so I'm not sure what is really the problem with some of her responses. I laughed with her, I took humor out of a lot of her cynical responses. I don't know, I read this a lot differently than it seems others have. Everything just seemed very casual and facetiously "uppity" to me, while also keeping the "I don't give a fuck" rather real and clear.

That's all I see here, just someone with substance whose feelings are raw and uninhibited. Which is as they should be. I don't think it's her growing an ego, I think it's just her getting her backbone back and being able to articulate her feelings fearlessly without feeling like she owes the world someone sweet and lily-livered. Sorry, I'll take a Lana who can be humble some times while giving the critics a clear middle finger while she spills salt in their wounds with a smug smirk on the occasion. She may be talking about how it's affected her, but if you look at where she is now compared to what a lot of articles and reviews had to say about her, all of it sounds very "Look who's laughing now?"

Even when she says that she is disconnected from other artists. I don't think there's anything uppity or egotistical about that. So many artists have had the same answer, she's no exception. You do get to that point as an artist that you start feeling like you identify more with yourself and your experiences than you do the experiences of other artists and the work they did based on those experiences. She's growing self-sufficient as an artist. And she sees that other artists just aren't doing the same thing.

I don't know, I didn't grab anything worth breaking a sweat over. She's complex and sometimes her feelings are conflicting, that says a lot more than most artists and human beings. She has substance, it just isn't always the sweet, soft-spoken kind. And I like it that way. She's fallen in shit and walked out in gold so many times, sometimes modesty just isn't warranted. It especially isn't warranted when you've taken every article and review about you to the chin so many times. Lana should be entitled to saying "Fuck them, I know what I do and I do it great." There isn't enough of that. Right away so many people chalk it up to having an inflated ego.

It can never be just being secure in your craft, loving what you do and knowing that you do it well; I mean, who does that? You've got to be an idiot if you don't stay on the ground long enough to let everyone else throw a few extra kicks on you before sticking their thumb in the air like they're Caesar, like their opinion of your talent is all that can validate your existence or worth as an artist. (CUE THE EYEROLL)

... Get real. Every time an artist finally starts being more self-assertive and fending for themselves and all the time they invested into their work, right away no one wants it anymore. I'm sick of insecure artists.

And this isn't to anyone here, this is just a random rant, I'm just growing as tired of the "Where's Lana gone?" kind of responses as I've gotten of what most of the general public and the media in America has had to say about her like as if they have not let a single talented soul slip through their fingers in the past decade. Lana hasn't gone anywhere, she's just not cherry-picking what thoughts she wants to showcase for her interviews. And I fucking praise that.

YES, YES FUCKETY FUCK YES. 

thank you so much. oh my god, this is just perfect, i should really frame it. 

4r9w86.jpg

THIS ENTIRE INTERVIEW IS THE EPITOME OF INSECURITY AND DEFENSIVENESS AND VICTIM-PLAYING.

It could be. I just don't know if a written interview is any more reliable when it comes to understanding someone's responses as it would be if it was a text-message conversation. It all becomes about interpretation. I could be entirely wrong in how I took the interview, I might very well be, but I figured I'd put it out there either way.

just this tbh 

:agree:

I love Brazil, it's a wonderful country.With all it's samba.But please understand: Lana Del Rey is loved by all types of persons from all around the world. She's not yours.

hahahaha NO she is not! Lana belongs to Lana! Lana is from the US and is only natural for her to have opinions about her own country. Doesn't make her less american or less an america lover. Just makes her a thinking human being that is allowed to express herself about not only the health care system in her homeland but about feminism or religion. Those are natural subjects dude get over it.

glgcDdT.gif

To my mind the interviewer was not trying to trip her up on various off-topic topics. She is merely guilty of leaving the music topic (which was covered ok actually, although wanting more details is always going to be a problem).  The "Ride" video coverage was also interesting. However, the title of the interview sucks. I would have called it "Paradise Gained..."

Just some quick thoughts:

It's interesting that Lana showed some self-editing when she decided not to go into depth about her politics; so it's not like she just flies off with whatever she first thinks of.  

With regards to having some kind of personality disorder, a key attribute of "disorder" in my mind is UNawareness of ones contradictory views. So you need to distinguish the case of she just thinks differently at different times (but is aware of it) and where she might not be aware of it. If she were to say something bizarre (like "I never liked BTD") I'd be more concerned. That said, she doesn't seem hugely consistent with regard to whether social work, significant others, or caring about "the music or the art", is the "luxury" or the main event. However, maybe what she is getting at is that they interdepend on each other, so to say that she isn't too interested in putting out another album is to say that she has to work at her life some more to be inspired to say something musically.

I would also say she is possibly forgetful. For example, she has mentioned (living) musical peers that she considers valid and worth following (Guns and Roses, Tyler, ASAP, Azealia Banks, Frank Ocean, Father John Misty, Antony and the Johnsons, Britney, Eminen, Chris Isaak). But for some reason she didn't want to mention anybody living in this article as influential (excepting Bob Dylan).

Feminism? LDR has made statements about it in the past saying her songs reflect personal statements, not role model statements. In this interview, she says this again and something like (that is, imo)  she is pro feminism and thinks reasonable progress has been made. She has stated in other interviews (one of the German ones?) that male chauvinism is not responsible for her negative reception in US music critic and blogosphere circles; it was more of a personal thing. I agree with her. Hence, we have the whole "Anti-me" statement, which I think is very accurate for some contexts, but may seem a bit odd here. Why should "devoting your life to the people around you and caring for them is the true road to general happiness" be something people would think "really strange"?  She says specifically that it's NOT an anti-feminism thing, but an anti-her thing. I take this to be her generalizing from the fact that other pop stars (male or female) can have a different stage names, or sing submissively about love obsessions, but for some odd reason not her. I think she is a little overly pessimistic here in her characterization. For one she can do things, that other pop artists can't. However, the script also says she is laughing while she says this. Victims don't laugh.

Patriotism? There does seem to be some disillusionments, but I wouldn't jump to conclusions they are centered on her critical or blogosphere reception. I am from the US, but I took her "Rah Rah... " quote to mean she's not uncritically loving of her country. Also, I would like to know in what sense she thinks she's less patriotic than anybody else; if tax brackets are an objective measure of such, she is more patriotic than me.

Fascinating :wtfney:

Not really :)

But the point I was trying to make is that if she is an INFP, then she views the world internally and like another poster said, through a filter. It's all about how she "feels" right then at that moment and that's where her answers come from. Throw in someone she doesn't get a good "vibe" off of and you have the recipe for a disaster interview. A lot of non-INFP people see that as being flaky or that she can't keep her stories straight. She's very hyperbolic as well so I think that doesn't help her cause either.

Not really :)

But the point I was trying to make is that if she is an INFP, then she views the world internally and like another poster said, through a filter. It's all about how she "feels" right then at that moment and that's where her answers come from. Throw in someone she doesn't get a good "vibe" off of and you have the recipe for a disaster interview. A lot of non-INFP people see that as being flaky or that she can't keep her stories straight. She's very hyperbolic as well so I think that doesn't help her cause either.

I actually was responding to the fact that your boyfriend calls you a duck, but okay :blush:

Hey, so, i'm going to spend two years telling people that i'm more of a singles person and that my favorite songs are Hotel California and Wicked Game (which i will continually refer to as Wicked Games) and all the hits by the masters of every genre, like, uhm, Bob Dylan and Kurt Cobain and Eminem, and then lament the fact that i just can't meet anyone with such a deep passion and appreciation for music like my boyfriend and i have. You know, people who really live and breath music? Never mind, no one understands.  

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein