sweetlana

Lana Del Rey Interviewed By Electronics Beats Magazine

Hey, so, i'm going to spend two years telling people that i'm more of a singles person and that my favorite songs are Hotel California and Wicked Game (which i will continually refer to as Wicked Games) and all the hits by the masters of every genre, like, uhm, Bob Dylan and Kurt Cobain and Eminem, and then lament the fact that i just can't meet anyone with such a deep passion and appreciation for music like my boyfriend and i have. You know, people who really live and breath music? Never mind, no one understands.

:mariah:

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

oh goodness this has become one of those divisive interviews~ :facepalm:  this thread is a mess.  I get what some of you are saying about overt patriotism~ But I just find it confusing for the girl that was waving around her American flags, has referenced America in at LEAST 10 songs (not counting American landmarks, specific cities, etc.), and said she "believes in the country America used to be" (still don't know what this means, maybe something to do with the American dream?), etc. has completely thrown Americana out of her lyrical inspirations and says she's not patriotic "anymore" .. 

jwExU.png

If she had substantiated reasoning, that'd be one thing~but you guys saying she felt alienated or that she didn't have a fan base here is completely untrue. Look at her album sales, look at her sold out shows in LA + NY following the release of BTD.  Did you see how packed Amoeba records was?  I felt like this interview was a fuck you, America and fuck you American fans who have supported you since you came on the scene

I think it's important to not be unduly critical- she is human, we contradict ourselves and sometimes we paint ourselves in the way we want to look/seem to others, and not necessarily the way we are ~ however, I feel like some will just excuse anything she says. She's just like me! She's misunderstood! Faults are a part of being human and she's not perfect.  She is a public figure and once you put these things out there, you have to be held accountable.  Yes, it is mostly about the music but you can't deny that at least some of the reason why you are such a fan~ and why you've joined a forum revolving around her~ is because of Lana Del Rey the person. I'm just saying you can still be a fan and not even like her most of the time. (does that even make sense? idk, i have a lot of feelingz)  I still find her completely intriguing, even if she's not necessarily my cup of tea, and I think the conversation regarding her personality is interesting~ perhaps we should make a separate thread for that to discuss :P

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

I personally really like this interview. The reason I think everybody is taken aback by it is because we don't usually see this side of Lana. She always seems really shy and sweet (most of the time) and this is unlike most of her other interviews. I do think that maybe she was in a mood when she answered these questions, but my opinion of her hasn't changed. She can't be EVERYTHING we want her to be. She's her own person. And as far as the not being patriotic comment, I'm an American and I'm not offended at all. I know it might be surprising to hear her say that because of obvious reasons, but just because she's not huge on America doesn't mean she doesn't love her American fans. All my life I've never been a patriotic person and I've wanted to leave America for as long as I can remember and I just don't think people should look down on her for that. That's just my opinion. 

Hey, so, i'm going to spend two years telling people that i'm more of a singles person and that my favorite songs are Hotel California and Wicked Game (which i will continually refer to as Wicked Games) and all the hits by the masters of every genre, like, uhm, Bob Dylan and Kurt Cobain and Eminem, and then lament the fact that i just can't meet anyone with such a deep passion and appreciation for music like my boyfriend and i have. You know, people who really live and breath music? Never mind, no one understands.  

Sarcasm aside, I actually don't think the two things are mutually exclusive. I think we're confusing musical elitism with actual passion for music, to be honest. Sure, I'm a full album type of person who thinks that listening to The Dark Side Of The Moon in any way other than in its entirety and in the right order should be punishable by imprisonment, but who am I to say that my passion and appreciation for music is bigger than that of someone who only listens to singles, or deletes the tracks they don't like, or listens to Pink Floyd albums on shuffle?

She's been making music for a living for years now; I think it's safe to assume she loves and appreciates it, even if it is in her own particular and unorthodox way.

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

Well, she played some new music and nobody cares? :deadbanana:  Well fuck all that talk about health care, feminism, being a true artist etc. I would have been much more interested to get more information about the new tracks besides that they might sound more like Paradise than BTD, because that's all that matters to me.

Sarcasm aside, I actually don't think the two things are mutually exclusive. I think we're confusing musical elitism with actual passion for music, to be honest. Sure, I'm a full album type of person who thinks that listening to The Dark Side Of The Moon in any way other than in its entirety and in the right order should be punishable by imprisonment, but who am I to say that my passion and appreciation for music is bigger than that of someone who only listens to singles, or deletes the tracks they don't like, or listens to Pink Floyd albums on shuffle?

She's been making music for a living for years now; I think it's safe to assume she loves and appreciates it, even if it is in her own particular and unorthodox way.

she's not really appreciating the musicians' art though if she's just listening to their number one singles and not their carefully crafted full albums, is she? saying she's never met anyone as passionate about music as her and barrie is already pretentious as fuck but saying it knowing that she mostly listens to mainstream artists' (even if they were mainstream in a different era) most mainstream songs is just ridiculous

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I'm not really angry about her stance on America because none of us can dictate how she should react to criticism. However, the attitude in this interview is very nearly reprehensible and I'm upset that it happened because lots of people now have one lengthy excuse and a platform to call her on her shit. This feels like an inner-fanbase SNL because there is a lot to criticize and not much in the way of redemption. I think her career is young and fame probably isn't a spectacular sensation for her because she never considered that anyone would dislike her. In fact, I'm almost positive that prior to her major success, she thought her bubble of a world was just fantastic and the way she lived was the only way for her. I think she'll definitely need some maturity, and I have the patience for that. I'm miffed at her but I'm not her to go all CAPITAL LETTERS DENOUNCE THE BITCH like a few people around here. Maybe someday she will see the error of her narrow perspective. Maybe someday she'll listen to full albums. And maybe she won't. I'm not from the school of "Lana Del Rey's decay, stawp reading interviews and just listen to music, if that". I thought this was one bad egg in a series of good (or at least average) interviews that's seeming to reflect on other things she's said in a particularly negative way. I'm interested in what some of you would consider this decline in quality.

Fansites like this offer a dangerous magnifying glass on her actions. Perhaps for a while I did expect her to just have a basically likeable, if melancholy, attitude. But I think I can get over that and love her just the same. Could I say with confidence that an interviewer wouldn't catch me on a bad day, leaving a legion of people to project this all over other things I'd done or said in the past, and thereby harming my image? Probably not. This isn't a good attitude for Lana to have, but it's not something I'll be dedicating too much energy into being concerned or irritated over.

Also, I don't think her next record will sound like Paradise. If she's rejecting her current lyrical themes, I think we could see a resurgence of old-fashioned Lizzy Grant, the amazing and clever lyricist we all cherish.

she's not really appreciating the musicians' art though if she's just listening to their number one singles and not their carefully crafted full albums, is she? saying she's never met anyone as passionate about music as her and barrie is already pretentious as fuck but saying it knowing that she mostly listens to mainstream artists' (even if they were mainstream in a different era) most mainstream songs is just ridiculous

Simply loving music and appreciating someone's "carefully crafted full albums" are different things. I was merely referring to intensely loving what(ever) you're listening to, regardless of the choice process or how much you know about it. What she said about "never having met bla bla bla" is misguided and frankly a bit dumb, but I don't find it any more pretentious than measuring one's love for music in terms of number of full albums they've listened to or the obscurity of the artists they like. For instance, I love wine; do I love it any less than a wine taster, even if I know much less about it?

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

I know. She listens to only singles by music legends (The Doors! Elvis! Bob Dylan! Frank Sinatra! Biggie!), strictly reads canonized literature (Lolita! Leaves of Grass! Howl!), and only appreciates classic films (The Godfather! The Godfather Part II! American Beauty!). Her taste isn't nuanced or inspired (see: "Oh, I just like the masters of every genre"). It's laughable when she claims that she has a ~true appreciation for the arts, she lives and breathes it, and simply can't be bothered to be affiliate with those she believes doesn't~ when it seems her current* taste is dependent on whether or not the artist/work in question has reached a revered status. 

Her inspirations read like a compilation of ~the best of the best~ from the who-sayers and taste-makers of "classic" work, these influential, "renowned" American media institutions. It's almost as though she trailed her finger up and down Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Artists of All Time, American Film Institute's Greatest Films and Greatest Contemporary Works of the 20th Century** when choosing her influences...

No one can truly call into question something as deeply personal and visceral as one's passion for any given thing. It is impossible for me to make the case that Lana's excessively trite influences somehow diminish her ability to "...care about music deeply..." or to "...really [live] it and [breathe] it." Still, if I can't definitively say that Lana's passion for music is diminished because of her cookie-cutter influences, then who is she to say that others "...don't actually care about music and art" and that "they want to be cool"? Who said that she's the absolute authority in appreciating music and poetry and art? Even more compelling: Why is the person who ruthlessly had their authenticity called into question early in their career (to the point they went on to call it "lies" and "slander" in this very interview, mind you) suddenly calling into question the authenticity of fellow artists? What fucking hypocritical bullshit. She sounds like a real prick. She'll need all the good luck she can get finding that "high-class group of musicians" to be a part of because with that elitist attitude I suspect she'll have a really difficult time. 

*Sigh. I miss the kitschy, unabashedly low-brow Lizzy Grant that said she wanted to kiss Antony of Antony and the Johnsons. YEAH I'M GOING THE TYPICAL "I MISS LIZZY" ROUTE, DEAL WITH IT :creep:

**Let's pretend Whitman is a contemporary poet so that my snarky point still sticks :creep:

Edited by MARU
read another's post wrong

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

What’s this have to do with elitism? If anything, she's the one who could be accused of elitism here. The point of my joke wasn’t to ridicule her limited musical scope, but rather to highlight the ridiculous claim that no one appreciates music at the level she does. 

For instance, I love wine; do I love it any less than a wine taster, even if I know much less about it?

Well, now imagine you claiming that no one really appreciates wine like you. 

I'm not her to go all CAPITAL LETTERS DENOUNCE THE BITCH like a few people around here. 

I really don't think anyone here is doing that. 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

I really don't think anyone here is doing that. 

Then we differ.

I don't have a problem with anyone's reaction, I think it's all very warranted depending on particular viewpoints.

I think it's a tenuous thing to diagnose a person from afar, but I think Lana definitely has some problems that are coming across in this interview. I've had a lifelong problem with depression and various chemical substances, but I can only imagine being barely recovered and then having this barrage of hate and scrutiny directed at you. It would be enough to change anyone for the worse. Personally I'm not offended by her mood, seeing as I have social anxiety myself and can come across as angry and awkward and aloof, but rather by what she's saying--essentially ignorant elitism and just pure bullshit.

My main point is, I feel like if you have a degree in something, you should be able to talk about it. If she spent four whole years studying philosophy, I feel like she should be able to better articulate its ideas and seem aware/passionate/interested in questions regarding it. Her quotes about religion/philosophy seem underdeveloped at best and immature and misunderstanding at worst. She seems to fumble in talking about the topics  that supposedly influenced her growing up and music so much--nihilism, hedonism, free will, spirituality, fate--which should be very intimate and familiar to her. Remember that cringe-worthy interview where she defined metaphysics as "mathematically proving the reality of god"?? Maybe she was too high on ~methamphetamines~ through college to pay attention to the thing she was majoring in.

It's certainly a difficult thing to reconcile the stupidly hateful Lana in recent interviews with the Lana who kisses her crying fans and the Lana who wrote the sheer brilliance that is "You and Me." I suppose that's the real topic of philosophy here: human nature, having so many facets and quirks and flaws and rapid changes. Lana's only human--but a different person to everyone she meets, apparently.

there is a light & it never goes out

oh goodness this has become one of those divisive interviews~ :facepalm:  this thread is a mess.  I get what some of you are saying about overt patriotism~ But I just find it confusing for the girl that was waving around her American flags, has referenced America in at LEAST 10 songs (not counting American landmarks, specific cities, etc.), and said she "believes in the country America used to be" (still don't know what this means, maybe something to do with the American dream?), etc. has completely thrown Americana out of her lyrical inspirations and says she's not patriotic "anymore" .. 

jwExU.png

If she had substantiated reasoning, that'd be one thing~but you guys saying she felt alienated or that she didn't have a fan base here is completely untrue. Look at her album sales, look at her sold out shows in LA + NY following the release of BTD.  Did you see how packed Amoeba records was?  I felt like this interview was a fuck you, America and fuck you American fans who have supported you since you came on the scene

:gclap:  :gclap: