sweetlana

Lana Del Rey Interviewed By Electronics Beats Magazine

maybe she was just pms-ing

IM JOKING

THAT WAS A JOKE

i like this interview, you all need to calm down and have a bath

i'd give my opinion but everything has already been said.

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />

I know lol, all this "how dare she be in a bad mood" garbage, who the fuck are all these self rightous fools on this board? Go sit on high horses elsewhere.

Tks in advance x.

Oh I love horses. Can I have the one with wings?

JZTtiQl.gif

glgcDdT.gif

i hope that i'm not stressing people out. it seems as if i like to talk about things people don't always seem to be comfortable talking about. the "underbelly" of humanity, i suppose you could say. its interesting, but can get a bit draining i realize. so please don't take what i'm saying too seriously -- these are merely my own observations and attempts at understanding her peculiar behavior, and why she lies and acts out in the way(s) she does. and its nice to generate discussion on lana in a more theoretical sense i guess =p 

i think we should revive @@Moniker's thread about whether or not she'd be as loved if she weren't so beautiful. because i also wonder -- would she be as crazy if she weren't so beautiful? so histrionic (re: lip licking)? so vain and narcissistic (re: lyrics)? so paranoid and pessimistic (~anti me)? i kind of feel like the root of her insecurities / neuroses / eccentricities stem from the seemingly vast disconnect between her outer appearance and her inner world -- and the resulting disconnect between the way people perceive her and the way she actually is. i think this interviewer puts it best: 

"she is capable of shifting swiftly from a kind of coltish innocence (*2) to vampish knowingness (*1). It’s a quality that is hard to pin down ... a kind of doubleness, a sense of duality and merging contradictions. She is a person into whom you can read a lot."

(1) -- at 2:20 ... after the guy 'woops' at her, notice that knowing little "ha" she does. it didn't require any thought, and it barely phased her. it was rapid, like a reflex. she knows what she does to people -- men in particular 

(2) on the other hand ... if you listen (to the interview below) from the beginning you sense that their interaction is full of sexual tension. not surprising since she's cooing more so than speaking. he's pretty forward at one point, asking if she ever takes people back to her room after shows or something (1:50) and lana like, yelps in surprise lmao. but then a few minutes later... he's like, oh, well i love the visuals and the palm trees on stage; so much so that i spent an entire song watching the screen instead of you (5:45). she's like ... oh, yea, yea, ok, blah, sonically, blah ... its good that they're there cause ... it... they... uh... [sad voice] you can look at them instead [/sad voice] 

http://www.novafm.com.au/video/tim-blackwell-interviews-lana-del-rey

so on the one hand she's a true fucking vixen, on the other she's like a fragile ceramic doll. she needs to be loved, admired, adored. at the very least, she wants your eyes to be on her, it seems. how do you reconcile those two characters (jessica rabbit vs. dolores haze) into one person? i mean, i honestly believe that those are both parts of her true personality, and not some character that she puts on. but like i said before -- how must people in her everyday life perceive her? how do you trust that person when you can't understand or process their fundamental energy? if you notice, some of her lyrics are narcissistic praises of her own beauty right before she tosses some acid in 

you got the world (beauty, brains) 

but baby, at what price? (hate, jealousy, isolation) 

something so strange, hard to define (re: contradictory presence) 

it's alarming honestly how charming she can be

fooling everyone, telling them she's having fun

she says you don't want to be like me

don't wanna see all the things I've seen (re: darker sides of humanity) 

i'm dying, i'm dying 

will you still love me 

when i'm no longer young and beautiful (i.e: is there more to me than my perfect nose and bee-stung lips?) 

so sad when i hear the girls talk when i walk by 

i start to cry (re: jealous, catty bitches)

a large portion of her lyrics are heavily rooted in her beauty and how others perceive her beauty. it kind of shows how powerful / sickly pervasive that aspect must be in her life. on the one hand, its why some people are so drawn to her. on the other, its why some people are so repelled by her. its not like she has some obnoxious personality -- she's usually pulled back and rather reserved in her demeanor. so its like, how do you deal with that kind of hate? having a genuine ~anti me perspective? no wonder she seems bipolar -- adoring and grateful with fans when she's being admired vs. arrogant, elitist, and pessimistic when she's being criticized. on the one hand, she has to wonder: do people -love- me for my talent or my beauty? will they still love me...? or, do people -hate- me because of my beauty, in spite of my talents? (this has definitely been the case, especially in the beginning of her career)... she must wonder -- if they don't acknowledge my singing or songwriting, is it because they can't look past my face? or is because i don't even have talent? this might sound reductive, or shallow even, but i think there's a bit of truth along these lines. because like i said before, people seem to be ruled by their emotions and their emotions are rarely fueled or supplemented by logic. and nothing can surpass your brain and hit you in the stomach (or nads) faster than a beautiful person. and sadly, beauty tends to garner a disproportionate amount of interest (both positive and negative), and that happens to be a culturally / temporally transcendent fact

all i'm saying is, it must be stressful to draw such vitriol from people for no reason other than how you look. it must be painful and irritating to have your talents refuted for reasons other than an actual lack of talent. i feel like she has to downplay her focus on looks because people will automatically deem her to be superficial. there are lots of things she has to be careful about doing or saying -- because like the interviewer says; she's the type of person you can read a lot into. people are going to be quicker with their snap judgements. and if you're uninformed or unfamiliar with her or any of her work, you're likely to hold a very wrong opinion

TL;DR -- beauty spurs a wide range of emotions in people. can it play a negative role in a person's development? distort perceptions of themselves and the world around them? fragment your personality? am i stressing people out?

ZRBNill.jpg

what you wrote is very interesting and thoughtful and I can see how you connected the dots with one little "But".

But what about the fact she kind of bought all that holly beauty? Now its her beauty hahaha...a nose, chin and cheeks job and lip injections later she is the worlds girl. Not saying anything about the plastics since she looks quite good but just saying...she bought it LOL

Plus all her boys were not even close to be a catch imo. Looking hot to them is not that difficult. The only exception is Reeve who is super hot the others lets face it being the worlds girl to those guys is not really a achievement is it?

glgcDdT.gif

she was always very pretty though. even at her least attractive (in my opinion) a man still called her an 'extraordinarily beautiful woman'. now she's just unreasonably, almost cartoonishly beautiful. but all those surgeries were a result of an insecurity or (thirty). it makes sense to me that she'd be with men less attractive than her. i'm sure that 'those' guys show her an unusual level of adoration and appreciation. maybe she likes to hold a certain power in her romantic dynamics, where she always remains the commodity? who knows why. but i know she's stated somewhere (on twitter) that she doesn't generally like guys that 'know' they're cute. i'm assuming its partially because she understands, from her own personal experiences that 'knowing' can fuck a person in the head

i don't think its about 'achievement' to her. i think part of her just likes the attention. who doesn't want to feel attractive? i say she's histrionic because i'm pretty sure she's fucking with people when she's licking her lips, working her way around an ice cream cone, speaking like a slutty infant, etc 

ZRBNill.jpg

Let's just call Lana and represent us as the journalists from America  :troll:

We do some shitty interview like,

do you use soap? what soap do you use? how often do you use soap? 

Do you have account on LanaBoards.com? (of course she has) 

On the end, Lana, can you play the new tracks for us?  :cuteface: 

And that's all.

:party:We have new songs  :party:

:hairflip:

tumblr_p0v8ex4Llk1raxa8qo1_540.jpg

i hope that i'm not stressing people out. it seems as if i like to talk about things people don't always seem to be comfortable talking about. the "underbelly" of humanity, i suppose you could say. its interesting, but can get a bit draining i realize. so please don't take what i'm saying too seriously -- these are merely my own observations and attempts at understanding her peculiar behavior, and why she lies and acts out in the way(s) she does. and its nice to generate discussion on lana in a more theoretical sense i guess =p

i think we should revive @@Moniker's thread about whether or not she'd be as loved if she weren't so beautiful. because i also wonder -- would she be as crazy if she weren't so beautiful? so histrionic (re: lip licking)? so vain and narcissistic (re: lyrics)? so paranoid and pessimistic (~anti me)? i kind of feel like the root of her insecurities / neuroses / eccentricities stem from the seemingly vast disconnect between her outer appearance and her inner world -- and the resulting disconnect between the way people perceive her and the way she actually is. i think this interviewer puts it best:

"she is capable of shifting swiftly from a kind of coltish innocence (*2) to vampish knowingness (*1). It’s a quality that is hard to pin down ... a kind of doubleness, a sense of duality and merging contradictions. She is a person into whom you can read a lot."

(1) -- at 2:20 ... after the guy 'woops' at her, notice that knowing little "ha" she does. it didn't require any thought, and it barely phased her. it was rapid, like a reflex. she knows what she does to people -- men in particular

(2) on the other hand ... if you listen (to the interview below) from the beginning you sense that their interaction is full of sexual tension. not surprising since she's cooing more so than speaking. he's pretty forward at one point, asking if she ever takes people back to her room after shows or something (1:50) and lana like, yelps in surprise lmao. but then a few minutes later... he's like, oh, well i love the visuals and the palm trees on stage; so much so that i spent an entire song watching the screen instead of you (5:45). she's like ... oh, yea, yea, ok, blah, sonically, blah ... its good that they're there cause ... it... they... uh... [sad voice] you can look at them instead [/sad voice]

http://www.novafm.com.au/video/tim-blackwell-interviews-lana-del-rey

so on the one hand she's a true fucking vixen, on the other she's like a fragile ceramic doll. she needs to be loved, admired, adored. at the very least, she wants your eyes to be on her, it seems. how do you reconcile those two characters (jessica rabbit vs. dolores haze) into one person? i mean, i honestly believe that those are both parts of her true personality, and not some character that she puts on. but like i said before -- how must people in her everyday life perceive her? how do you trust that person when you can't understand or process their fundamental energy? if you notice, some of her lyrics are narcissistic praises of her own beauty right before she tosses some acid in

you got the world (beauty, brains)

but baby, at what price? (hate, jealousy, isolation)

something so strange, hard to define (re: contradictory presence)

it's alarming honestly how charming she can be

fooling everyone, telling them she's having fun

she says you don't want to be like me

don't wanna see all the things I've seen (re: darker sides of humanity)

i'm dying, i'm dying

will you still love me

when i'm no longer young and beautiful (i.e: is there more to me than my perfect nose and bee-stung lips?)

so sad when i hear the girls talk when i walk by

i start to cry (re: jealous, catty bitches)

a large portion of her lyrics are heavily rooted in her beauty and how others perceive her beauty. it kind of shows how powerful / sickly pervasive that aspect must be in her life. on the one hand, its why some people are so drawn to her. on the other, its why some people are so repelled by her. its not like she has some obnoxious personality -- she's usually pulled back and rather reserved in her demeanor. so its like, how do you deal with that kind of hate? having a genuine ~anti me perspective? no wonder she seems bipolar -- adoring and grateful with fans when she's being admired vs. arrogant, elitist, and pessimistic when she's being criticized. on the one hand, she has to wonder: do people -love- me for my talent or my beauty? will they still love me...? or, do people -hate- me because of my beauty, in spite of my talents? (this has definitely been the case, especially in the beginning of her career)... she must wonder -- if they don't acknowledge my singing or songwriting, is it because they can't look past my face? or is because i don't even have talent? this might sound reductive, or shallow even, but i think there's a bit of truth along these lines. because like i said before, people seem to be ruled by their emotions and their emotions are rarely fueled or supplemented by logic. and nothing can surpass your brain and hit you in the stomach (or nads) faster than a beautiful person. and sadly, beauty tends to garner a disproportionate amount of interest (both positive and negative), and that happens to be a culturally / temporally transcendent fact

all i'm saying is, it must be stressful to draw such vitriol from people for no reason other than how you look. it must be painful and irritating to have your talents refuted for reasons other than an actual lack of talent. i feel like she has to downplay her focus on looks because people will automatically deem her to be superficial. there are lots of things she has to be careful about doing or saying -- because like the interviewer says; she's the type of person you can read a lot into. people are going to be quicker with their snap judgements. and if you're uninformed or unfamiliar with her or any of her work, you're likely to hold a very wrong opinion

TL;DR -- beauty spurs a wide range of emotions in people. can it play a negative role in a person's development? distort perceptions of themselves and the world around them? fragment your personality? am i stressing people out?

Omg

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I disliked it more in her earlier interviews, where she claims that criticism is driving her to drink or some kind of self destruction. That was the low point for me. This article actually lifts my spirits relative to those points, because I think she is recovering from that. 

The rest is just a demonstration that people can read the same things with different perspectives. There is also some selective thoughts on EvilEntity's perspectives (given in French-like quotes).

<<Bringing up the subject of being criticized as anti-feminist, bitching about it, then expressing complacent views on feminism and denying obvious inspiration by female icons>>

The feminism issue was covered clearly, I think. She's in support of feminism, but not there, in her art, to support it. Her love-lorn songs are really typical of pop and to say that LDR means anything specifically anti-feminist by them is just "anti-her", because most everybody else is guilty of it. And "Ride" is just "her story", whether it be fiction or autobiographical. And songs like "push me down" or "making out" are not lifestyle recommendations but character studies. Liz Phair got it right in her "back-handed" support piece for LDR, which basically said LDR's expressing things of-interest-to-LDR and portraying herself in a persona of her choosing is defensible as "feminism". Maybe that's not exactly what Liz meant, but that's what I take her to mean (she didn't talk much about LDR's music, unfortunately). Here's the link:

As for Female icons, I think she dyes her hair brown to be more like Norma Jean. I don't think she wants to promote her being the next Marilyn, although it's clear that she likes Marilyn, or Britney, or Nina Simone. I don't think she "emulates" any of them, but she likes them. Inspiration was not directly asked about, it was influence on LDR's (non-musical) style. 

<<Denying she cares about her appearance when she certainly does>>

What was implied to me was "that was then, this is now", or that her appearance is now uncomfortably an important feature of her professional life, but before her "breakout" she didn't take as much effort as she does now. What makes my assertion confusing (even to me) is that Lizzy Grant is (was?) still beautiful. She just wasn't a model or a superstar yet.

<<Stating she has a degree in metaphysics even though Fordham does not offer a degree in metaphysics (and as Maru pointed out there is some doubt whether she even graduated at all)>>

I believe she did graduate. I thought I remember seeing a sentence about "dropping out" removed from her wikipedia entry, because somebody actually went to the Fordham records and verified it, but when I looked at Wikipedia for discussion of it I couldn't find it.  BTW the degree would be in philosophy not metaphysics, but it's costumary for people to refer more specifically when describing what their degree is about. There is also a wikipedia page for notable Fordham Alumni, and she is listed in the entertainment section. 

Did she just attend or fully graduate? Well what's the evidence that she didn't graduate? I too was perplexed by the recent article quote about dropping out, but figured it as a fact check error.

<<Hurling accusations of media slander against her and her family about things she continues to lie about in the same breath>>

I think it was more the personal and musical character assasination of media reviews that hurt her and the slander came from the blogosphere. Go back and read the NY times, LA times, and Rollingstone reviews of BTD and come to your own conclusion.  LDR underestimates her influence in changing people's opinion of "5-star-critic" music reviews. 

<<Falsely claiming that she doesn't have money and that her family never had any money>>

Yes, rehab and college take money, but I think her focus of denial was narrower.  It's always been about her daddy buying her career that she denies. He probably helped her buy back the rights to AKA and supported her as a father would. Also she may not have had money at all times,  because she dropped off the parental radar by her choice.

<<Bitching about a lack of control of her image and how the media portrays her>> 

I like the paragraph about her public vs. private disconnect, because it possibly says something about where she wanted to go in popular music or what she wanted herself to mean vis a vis popular music. This is still an unresolved question for me.

LDR:

"There is a disconnect, yeah. I spent the last ten years in community service and writing folk songs. I don’t give a fuck about what I look like. Saying I came from billions of dollars is crazy. We never had any money. I feel, as a person who grew up reading about and being inspired by other figures with integrity, to kind of be turned into the antithesis of that is not what I planned. It’s the way it’s going right now, but I deal with it as it comes."

I like the allusion to Sirens (and Sirens-like songs). However, it's the last two sentences that interest me the most. It's hard not to see the "Lana Del Rey" persona as a foot-in-the-door technique to get popular, in a sense similar to Gaga, Adele, Perry, Kesha, and then to do something with her status. I don't consider this an authenticity rehash, as my thinking is that the persona was a tool to get noticed, but it's the quality of her work that got her famous. I'm hoping what she wanted to do with her status was bitch-slap the music business in the constructive sense of making it easier for diverse and retro kinds of music to become popular. Still words are vague. Is she talking about her public image at the crest of the negative hype wave, or her public image "right now" (as she appears to say). If it's her public image "right now", then there may have been something revealed, if that is the thing turning into the "antithesis" of what she planned. Crappy interviewer for not getting clarification or digging further.

<<Judgmental and pretentious statements that other people don't care about music/poetry/art as much as her and Barrie in the same interview she says music isn't her primary focus a pervasive attitude of defensiveness and victim-playing throughout>>

I'll recap part of that:

"Interviewer: You don’t feel you have a group of people in music who you necessarily connect to—a scene, let’s say, or a group of peers? What you talk about publicly and in interviews—say, listening to the The Doors or Dylan—it all seems “normal”. But I think what you do is not normal, actually.

Well, I thought so, too. I thought my tastes and likes were pretty normal, but then I met everyone and I was like, “These people don’t actually care about music and art. They want to be cool.” I never met anyone who cared about music as deeply as me and my boyfriend, or who really cared about poetry—who really lived it and breathed it. I haven’t met anyone so far. I just can’t affiliate with those people."

In an earlier post, I speculated she was forgetful, but maybe she's focusing too much on specific baddies and a specific kind of badness in baddies (such as hearing "the Doors and Bob Dylan, who are they?" or "no longer relevant" an awful lot). Also should we interpret the answer as including Rick Nowels and Justin Parker (that would be really interesting, if so). But at the end of the day, I really don't know how she's interpreting the words "scene", "peers", and "met", "those people". I don't even know if she heard all the words in the question (e.g., peer?), or had a chance to review the interview before it went to press. The interviewer is again crappy for not clarifying what is going to seem inflammatory later.

I understand why people are put off by this response, but at the same time I'm encouraged by it, because it should mean the next album will be "unpopular" in the sense of not trying to be popular but by following an artistic goal. I hope she continues to captivate people with her music, although apparently she's a "American Poet" now, so I'm guessing she means the lyrics are what's going to get better. But even if she doesn't captivate, at least the "integrity" she talks about, with regards to being an artist, is risking being unpopular. 

@@slang - "The rest is just a demonstration that people can read the same things with different perspectives."

I think that's the bottom line, really. No matter how many different viewpoints are expressed in this thread, there is no correct interpretation, only different opinions based on different personalities and experiences. If it's already difficult to be absolutely certain of what someone means when they say something to us directly, that becomes practically impossible when all we have is a written interview (no body language, intonation, etc.) already dependent on a third party's interpretation and way of phrasing / conveying what was said.

It did make for a very interesting discussion, though.

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

Hey, so, i'm going to spend two years telling people that i'm more of a singles person and that my favorite songs are Hotel California and Wicked Game (which i will continually refer to as Wicked Games) and all the hits by the masters of every genre, like, uhm, Bob Dylan and Kurt Cobain and Eminem, and then lament the fact that i just can't meet anyone with such a deep passion and appreciation for music like my boyfriend and i have. You know, people who really live and breath music? Never mind, no one understands.  

wait, so when she says wicked games she means wicked game by chris isaak? i thought she was referring to wicked games by the weeknd  :uh:

let me see that ass, look at all this cash  :sluttybunny:

maybe it's a reflection of what kind of person i am but i really didn't see the problem with this interview until i read this thread/ontd's comments abt it

ONTD makes anyone and anyone's quotes look bad though. I don't think a lot of them like Lana and will use anything as ammo against her tbh. 

:pft:

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

No, Lana doesn't owe us anything, but I'm also not obligated to like her or refrain from valid criticism of her just because I like her music. Frankly, it amazes me the amount of excuses some of you make for her at times. (As a side note, I think a lot of projection is going on there.)

I started writing a long diatribe quoting the interview extensively and dissecting the info in it as well as what I found objectionable, but honestly, there's so much to criticize here that it became one big TL;DR that I had trouble even organizing coherently. (And that wasn't even getting around to responding to some of the replies in this thread!) I might still post that, but for those of you who still don't get what some of us took exception to, here's the CliffsNotes version:

• Superficial America-bashing that seems rooted in pettiness over harsher media criticism and less commercial success in the US (and a ridiculously false perception of it at that), not in any sort of intelligent critique of the US
  • Bringing up the subject of being criticized as anti-feminist, bitching about it, then expressing complacent views on feminism and denying obvious inspiration by female icons
  • Denying she cares about her appearance when she certainly does
  • Stating she has a degree in metaphysics even though Fordham does not offer a degree in metaphysics (and as Maru pointed out there is some doubt whether she even graduated at all)
  • Hurling accusations of media slander against her and her family about things she continues to lie about in the same breath
  • Falsely claiming that she doesn't have money and that her family never had any money
  • Bitching about a lack of control of her image and how the media portrays her in the same interview she admits to "fucking around with" journalists in her answers in previous interviews
  • Judgmental and pretentious statements that other people don't care about music/poetry/art as much as her and Barrie in the same interview she says music isn't her primary focus
  • A pervasive attitude of defensiveness and victim-playing throughout

Superficial America-bashing that seems rooted in pettiness over harsher media criticism and less commercial success in the US (and a ridiculously false perception of it at that), not in any sort of intelligent critique of the US

She didn't bash or critique the US in this interview. She’s bitter, yes, but absolutely understandable when you take in consideration the quasi general and often non-intelligent and unfair critique of the American media towards her. I think she knows that she cannot go back to America and have a career there. Her only hope for a career is in Europe where nobody gives a fck about who is her daddy, if she really lived in trailer park, if she had plastic surgeries or about her SNL performance. I think she has more fans in Greece alone than in the USA. She loves America but she’s bitter towards the (indie, pop) musical elite from her native country that clearly rejected her and did everything to end her career.

Bringing up the subject of being criticized as anti-feminist, bitching about it, then expressing complacent views on feminism and denying obvious inspiration by female icons

She’s not a sociologist or a philosopher (with degree or not). She stated that (in the western world) women are in a good place and everything have to evolve naturally. What is wrong with that? I think that this is a reasonable position which is in tune with her lyrics. Of course that for the "professional" feminists the “revolution never ends”, but this is their problem and not Lana’s.  She said that she didn’t meant any messages regarding feminism in her songs, is just about her experience in romantic relations.

Denying she cares about her appearance when she certainly does

This is judgmental. Why didn’t you mentioned the surgeries and the other crap?

Stating she has a degree in metaphysics even though Fordham does not offer a degree in metaphysics (and as Maru pointed

out there is some doubt whether she even graduated at all)

Come on, her love affair with philosophy was started by an adolescent existentialist crisis and of course that her insight on philosophy is shallow and has nothing to do with scholarly metaphysics. But I really loved her response on the catholic clergy issue that demonstrated to me that she is capable of nuanced understanding of the issues.

Hurling accusations of media slander against her and her family about things she continues to lie about in the same breath

What are those accusations and what are her lies? What you say is that all the criticism by the American media towards her is valid? Accusation such as: she cannot sing, she is auto tuned, she didn’t write her songs, she’s all fabricated and daddy paid for everything music, image etc., her music and lyrics are crap etc. Then, I may ask, why are you here?

Falsely claiming that she doesn't have money and that her family never had any money

Her father declared that his company owns approx. 8000 internet domains that are worth, at a minimum, between 15-40 mil. dollars (this is not actual cash in the bank!). Her family made educational portfolio gifts to universities, colleges and secondary schools in excess of 900.000 dollars (mostly they gave away domains, Grant Family Foundation.com). Can you buy an international pop star career with that money? No. Can you jump start one? Maybe. What amount of money had her family in the past is hard to know, because her father risked a lot around 2000 when the dot-com bubble busted. Her trailer park story can be a rebellion against her parents and status and maybe she and her father didn’t agree much on her life style and career choices (they dumped her in boarding school after all) and is possible that she (not her family) was poor by choice for a while. But that is speculation and irrelevant to her music.

What are those accusations and what are her lies? What you say is that all the criticism by the American media towards her is valid? Accusation such as: she cannot sing, she is auto tuned, she didn’t write her songs, she’s all fabricated and daddy paid for everything music, image etc., her music and lyrics are crap etc. Then, I may ask, why are you here?

Like someone else said on this thread..we all love Lana and Lana's music but that doesn't mean we always have to like her or what she says. She's not immune to criticism. 

She’s not a sociologist or a philosopher (with degree or not). She stated that (in the western world) women are in a good place and everything have to evolve naturally. What is wrong with that? I think that this is a reasonable position which is in tune with her lyrics. Of course that for the "professional" feminists the “revolution never ends”, but this is their problem and not Lana’s.  She said that she didn’t meant any messages regarding feminism in her songs, is just about her experience in romantic relations.

:whoopi: What does "professional feminists" mean?

I was personally a bit surprised that Lana said that and hope it's not entirely true/taken out of context [in her other interviews] because it's not 100% true women are in a good place in the world..

I think she knows that she cannot go back to America and have a career there. Her only hope for a career is in Europe where nobody gives a fck about who is her daddy, if she really lived in trailer park, if she had plastic surgeries or about her SNL performance. I think she has more fans in Greece alone than in the USA.

I completely disagree with you there. There is tons of criticism from European countries towards her also (people posted on their status updates about the press in countries making up that she allegedly has backing tracks of applause and fans screaming ??).

I think the US contains the most Lana fans. Some people there knew Lana before she was Lana, went to see her play in NY etc, so I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from that she 'can't go back to America' because that's just not true. Her American fans are begging her for a US tour? :uh:

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

Okay, let’s talk about feminism. What’s your take on feminism?

To be honest, I don’t really have one. I have a great appreciation for our world’s history. I learn from my own mistakes, I learn from the mistakes we’ve made as a human race. But I think we’ve gotten to a good place as women and we’ll just keep naturally progressing. That’s kind of how I feel about it.

this quote upset me because i think that's how a lot of women feel. we haven't gotten to this "good place" by natural progression but by women fighting for their and our rights in the past. if women don't keep standing up for themselves, we are not going to progress and she doesn't seem to care about that at all and just takes it for granted.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Okay, let’s talk about feminism. What’s your take on feminism?

To be honest, I don’t really have one. I have a great appreciation for our world’s history. I learn from my own mistakes, I learn from the mistakes we’ve made as a human race. But I think we’ve gotten to a good place as women and we’ll just keep naturally progressing. That’s kind of how I feel about it.

this quote upset me because i think that's how a lot of women feel. we haven't gotten to this "good place" by natural progression but by women fighting for their and our rights in the past. if women don't keep standing up for themselves, we are not going to progress and she doesn't seem to care about that at all and just takes it for granted.

I think what @@Monicker said about her not understanding a lot of concepts she's talking about really applies here. I can't say if she has an extremely eccentric definition of those concepts, like feminism in this case, or if she's indeed horribly misinformed. I would like to hear a more elaborate statement on this issue, but I kind of doubt she's devoted a lot of time thinking about it. Her reply seemed kind of... spontaneous and ill-conceived. 

Like someone else said on this thread..we all love Lana and Lana's music but that doesn't mean we always have to like her or what she says. She's not immune to criticism. 

:whoopi: What does "professional feminists" mean?

I was personally a bit surprised that Lana said that and hope it's not entirely true/taken out of context [in her other interviews] because it's not 100% true women are in a good place in the world..

I completely disagree with you there. There is tons of criticism from European countries towards her also (people posted on their status updates about the press in countries making up that she allegedly has backing tracks of applause and fans screaming ??).

I think the US contains the most Lana fans. Some people there knew Lana before she was Lana, went to see her play in NY etc, so I'm not sure where you're getting that idea from that she 'can't go back to America' because that's just not true. Her American fans are begging her for a US tour? :uh:

Nobody is immune to critique. But Lana was not simply criticized in the American media, she was made a liar, musically incompetent etc. You cannot love her music and in the same time agree to this type of "critique".

Professional feminists are those how are trying to make a profession out of representing feminism. They are trying to gain something such as a career in politics or make some money through foundations or just trying to be artificially important on forums.

Lana referred clearly, in my view, towards the condition of women in the western developed world (US, Western Europe).

Wow, that accusation with the taped applause at concerts is something new to me but this is hardly 'tons of criticism' and, mostly, the critical views are imported, by a few European journalists, from the American media.

Professional feminists are those how are trying to make a profession out of representing feminism. They are trying to gain something such as a career in politics or make some money through foundations or just trying to be artificially important on forums.

are you serious?

Lana referred clearly, in my view, towards the condition of women in the western developed world (US, Western Europe).

definitely, it's still an ignorant and misinformed statement to make

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.