TIARNZUS

Lana Del Rey Shooting New Short Film, "Tropico"

After Tropico is released, I feel like the GP will start saying "~SELL OUT~", "a poor attempt to be sexy", "done only to be provocative" etc, because there is such a huge disconnect between her relatively constant media image (think when she first started out, Hollywood glam, 50s/60s-inspired, etc) and the images we see of her chola-esque and as a stripper. It's a huge, confusing leap to those that don't own every last one of her leaked songs and don't Lanalyze the shit out of her songs/interviews/music videos. The images, while a bit of a surprise to us, aren't out of the blue because we fans see them as a return to the sort of sordid life she depicts in her unreleased/unacknowledged discography. These looks will appear horribly contrived and to be an overt attempt to "stir up buzz" or whatever to everyone else. ~Remember, she's just a rich girl who's father funded her career and a total industry construct and this too is probably another ploy~. I think what I'm trying to say is that I think there's going to be even more media-backlash than expected.

I dont think anyone really gives a fuck what "other people" will think, most of all her. She is bashed already, she'll be bashed some more, just another day in Lana-land tbh.

Anyone notice that Adidas is endorcing Lana? Those tennis and long socks with a huge visible Adidas are there for good $$ reason. the Adidas photos were the ones on the sites that appear more. Dont think will be as trash as u think. adidas wouldnt risk endorse something that was not in good taste. Waiting with reguard for this short movie looks very interesting.

Please, Adidas is as trashy as they could be, looke at people who wear them, TRASH. Look at Jeremy Scott for Adidas, extra, ultra TRASH.

Just because it's a popular brand doesn't mean it's good in taste.

:gclap:

A job well done. Extra points for your use of legit. You should have also included the non-literal use of literally (“I’m literally dying right now watching this flawless video.”) What about the fragment “I can’t even”? And the puzzling, nonsensical use of though, shortened to tho, which doesn’t actually qualify anything. We will know just how flawless this video and Lana are when we come upon “I can’t even tho.” omg but NO wait like she was so beautiful and glamorous and classy and old hollywood in young & beautiful and now she’s a fat stripper omg i just dgi

I tried my best, okay? :defeated:

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

Lana no longer gives two fucks about the US tabloids, or the US in general :smile:

It'll slay, bitches stay pressed, it's more press for her, so..

I doubt she doesn't care about the US anymore. It's her home country and she isn't Gwyneth Paltrow. Given how she wraps herself in the American Flag and the American iconography of her photos and video shoots is why she sells well in Europe, she do a US tour soon. I suspect in support of her next album she'll do a US tour. Sure she may not sell out the Staples Center but she'll have a great tour in the US. I suspect she's building buzz and anticipation which is good.

I doubt she doesn't care about the US anymore. It's her home country and she isn't Gwyneth Paltrow. Given how she wraps herself in the American Flag and the American iconography of her photos and video shoots is why she sells well in Europe, she do a US tour soon. I suspect in support of her next album she'll do a US tour. Sure she may not sell out the Staples Center but she'll have a great tour in the US. I suspect she's building buzz and anticipation which is good.

Judging from a few things she's recently said, she's at the very least kinda bitter at the USA. And with good reason, if you ask me. She was mercilessly and, for the most part, stupidly attacked there. We all know she needs to feel adored and doesn't deal very well with negative criticism; I guess now we'll also find out whether she holds a grudge for a long time or not.

I also wouldn't say that's the main reason she sells well here - you wouldn't believe how much anti-Americanism there is in Europe. When she appeared she was very different from pretty much everything else in the pop scene, and we really didn't give a fuck about the authenticity / inauthenticity debate & the lip controversy (feels really silly just writing this...). Her music had an interesting dark, vintage-y mood and vivid imagery, and her image fit very well into that. That's what made her a huge hit here.

and she isn't Gwyneth Paltrow

Dating a British musician? Check. ;)

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

Judging from a few things she's recently said, she's at the very least kinda bitter at the USA. And with good reason, if you ask me. She was mercilessly and, for the most part, stupidly attacked there. We all know she needs to feel adored and doesn't deal very well with negative criticism; I guess now we'll also find out whether she holds a grudge for a long time or not.

I also wouldn't say that's the main reason she sells well here - you wouldn't believe how much anti-Americanism there is in Europe. When she appeared she was very different from pretty much everything else in the pop scene, and we really didn't give a fuck about the authenticity / inauthenticity debate & the lip controversy (feels really silly just writing this...). Her music had an interesting dark, vintage-y mood and vivid imagery, and her image fit very well into that. That's what made her a huge hit here.

I don't see her as being bitter toward the US when you look at her actions. Her Tropico Movie set in Southern California is pretty much American as you can get. The Low Rider images, the strip mall strip club, and the setting is part of what sells in Europe. Ride was very American and Young and Beautiful was  in a film that is one of America's Greatest Novels. 

She is playing Lalapalooza and the House of Blue. Lalapalooza is the biggest summer music festival in the US and she is a headliner. 

People have gotten beyond the Saturday Night Live performance and Americans love comebacks. Witness Britney Spears. We love comebacks and in the end the things that make her popular in Europe will work in the US.

Lana will be a success in the US and given that Europe made David Hasselhoff a big pop star, no American artist wants to be the next David Hasselhoff. She will be a success in the US and I take umbrage at the idea that she is not a success in the US. There are lot of musicians and artists who would love to have the sales and attention Lana has gotten in the US. 

@@PennCentralFan

I think you're mixing being bitter and not wanting to risk another "failure" + the subsequent backlash with not loving the US, or not considering it her home, or not being a huge part of what influences her anymore. I think that is precisely what made her so bitter - unrequited love.

I guess that her reception at Lollapalooza (by public and media/critics alike) could very well determine whether she'll do a US tour in the near future or not... We'll see.

Also, Germany made David Hasselhoff a big pop star - not Europe! :biblio:

That's still your opinion though, there are no stone-written facts about how and why she sells well in Europe. You also don't know the ratio between who are pro and anti Americanism either.

That's still your opinion though, there are no stone-written facts about how and why she sells well in Europe. You also don't know the ratio between who are pro and anti Americanism either.

Well, of course it's my opinion, that pretty much goes without saying. And no, I don't have any statistics, if that's what you mean, but I do live here and, you know, talk to people about stuff and listen to them talk back. And I can tell you that, even though Anti-Americanism isn't what it used to be during the Bush administration, it's still pretty high.

I feel that I have touched a sensitive spot. Is this, like, taboo here? :smokes:

This :hooker:

same here. No one really cares for those things LOL. Several countries also don't use US as a base for their charts they use UK.

About her bitterness towards US I think is kind of childish of her and also a very good marketing strategy. :hdu:

glgcDdT.gif

still not feeling the cholas tbh

With all respect is that a tranny or a girl in the last pic?

v respectful

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

still not feeling the cholas tbh

I'm having doubts too. I always imagined at least Gods & Monsters to be a bit trashy, but still, you know, classy-trashy. If that makes sense. And I'm not sure if cholas really fit that view. They sure as hell don't belong in the Bel Air/Body Electric parts though :hooker: 

But maybe probably it will work out.