Baby V Alex

Ariana Grande

Seriously, idk why ppl hate this. I LOVE Pharrell's tracks and they are quite amazing (and it reminds me a lot of Madonna's Hard Candy album, which I love as well). She delivered BOP after BOP, I simply don't get the hate, unless you just hate Pharrell because you are raciste.

Here's my track by track review:

Raindrops: cute intro, her vocals snatched me bald.(as per usual) my scalp is still bleeding btw. 8/10

Blazed is Candy Shop 2.0 lol. still cute tho. I love Pharrell's funky touch, it makes it catchier. 6/10

TLIC :defeated: a Holy BOP. I loved it on first listen. But looking at the undeserved hate this gem is getting from y'all, I'm convinced that only ppl with a very high IQ can enjoy this avant garde masterpiece. 8.5/10

R.E.M my FAV on the album. Very chill, very dreamy... and reminds me of Daydreamin'. R.E.M is THAT bitch. 10/10

GIAW I thot the song was trash when she first released it, but now it's starting to grow on me a bit. It's still my least fave. NEXT ! 5/10

Sweetener, Pharrell did THAT! The hook is so cute and I LIVE for the production. Pharrell really snapped on this one. very uplifting track. 7/10

Successful this sounds like a 2003 Britney Spears b-side. A cute bop, but nothing special. 6/10

Everytime my second fave :defeated: one of the best tracks Ari has released so far. Very catchy, the Max Martin production is top notch, who could possibly ask for anything more ?? It would be way better if it was longer tho. 10/10

Breathin, now this track is the DEFINITION of overrated. I don't see the hype, it's very repetitive, really not the tea. Maybe it's a grower (and I hope so) 6/10

NTLTC her best lead single tbh. 10/10

Bordeline gives MAJOR 2000's JT vibes. I LOVE this track, Missy Elliot wasn't the best choice for a collab tho. 7/10

Better Off, 3rd best song. The beggining reminds me of 20 Something by SZA. It's very smooth and chill. The Knew Better of this album. 9/10 (could've been longer ngl)

Goodnight n Go, another Max Martin bop. Love the beat, lyrics are kinda clingy. Still a cute track. 7/10

Peter Darwinson, cute interlude, the title is a choice, but I still enjoyed it. The adlibs are out of this world. Ugh 8/10

Get Well Soon. The only track that REALLY disappointed me (besides GIAW). Very underwhelming considering she said that it was the "new" Honeymoon Avenue (which my all time fave song of hers). I expected something spectacular to end the album, but that wasn't quite the case. At least the lyrics are very clever and well thought out. A nice tribute to the Manchester victims. I'll give this one an 8/10 regardless.

Overall, I think this album is her most cohesive body of work (along with YT) despite it being a Pharrell/Max Martin produced album. DW had higher highs, but only the singles mostly stand out, and I had a hard time getting into DW, whereas I loved Sweetener at first listen. I still think that DW is objectively a pop classic, but I prefer the chill and calm nature of this album more.

So, for me, it's : S >>>> DW >> YT = ME

Is Breathin the song of the decade?

That would be GIAW

I love that the lyrics on this album come across as very personal to me even though I know she doesn't have writing creds on all songs. The lyrics about anxiety really ring true and IMO they humanize the songs a lot, especially because Ari doesn't give us a lot of insight into her personal life except for posting things with Pete. Some lyrics were really dumb though, like the majority of Sweetener (song) I think is kind of childish but in a cute way. And theres a lot of weird euphemisms for sex involving sweets and food that just like....dont hit it for me

What are your favorite Sweetener lyrics?