Sitar

Teasers for 'Tropico' Released on YouTube

I only speak about offensive appropriation if I have the knowledge and some sort of extensive exposure (worded kinda oddly) to the culture. (Or y'know, I'm a part of it). Googling information and lacking some sort of gateway to the culture, like extensive exposure, doesn't really suffice.

I don't know anything about Dia de los Muertos. I have never been exposed to it in person. I've never even met a Mexican person in my life!  :toofunny: 

If it does engage in offensive appropriation, I hope that there's someone on the forum (ideally, a part of the culture :creep: ) that can explain the significance to it and why it is offensive. Conversely, I would say that I also hope there's someone on the forum of the culture that can explain why it ISN'T offensive, but I'm sure we'll have that base covered. 

Some Mexicans say Dia de los Muertos is a super sacred holiday only Mexicans can participate in and anyone else taking part in it or using any of its symbols is appropriating it. Others say that it's open to everyone and that as long as the symbols are treated respectfully (you can paint a sugar skull on your face but don't urinate on one) it doesn't matter. With things like this, it's rarely as clear-cut as people seem to think it is. And without seeing Tropico in advance, we have no idea how she will deal with the matter. If Ride is any indication, she'll do something kinda thoughtless (I still cringe seeing the headdress, omg lana why that's like wearing a purple heart as fashion) but common among Americans. So... we'll see :creep:

So happy this is finally coming out. And I pray it'll be in theaters so I can drag my friends to see it.

If you go to her real YouTube page, the only comment it shows that she posted on the Tropico was the 'so do i' one, so I'm not really trusting the 2 weeks (also it shows her comment on Barrie's video which means that it's obviously updated, etc) but I'm hopin for the best but expectin the worst tbh :ohno:

Some Mexicans say Dia de los Muertos is a super sacred holiday only Mexicans can participate in and anyone else taking part in it or using any of its symbols is appropriating it. Others say that it's open to everyone and that as long as the symbols are treated respectfully (you can paint a sugar skull on your face but don't urinate on one) it doesn't matter. With things like this, it's rarely as clear-cut as people seem to think it is. And without seeing Tropico in advance, we have no idea how she will deal with the matter. If Ride is any indication, she'll do something kinda thoughtless (I still cringe seeing the headdress, omg lana why that's like wearing a purple heart as fashion) but common among Americans. So... we'll see :creep:

So happy this is finally coming out. And I pray it'll be in theaters so I can drag my friends to see it.

Several countries celebrate it since initially was a christian celebration. In Brazil we also celebrate Dia de Los Muertos (Dia dos Finados for us) it's november 2th.  .In my country, like in Mexico, is a national holiday and not even museums open in respect of the dead. It's a party at the cemeteries (sarcastic giggles).  For the Kardecists, spiritualists,  is usually celebrated by the sea you don't need to visit the cemetery because they believe that your body is just flesh and your soul is free when you are dead and you will reeincarnate to evolve your spirit. Anyway its not just a Mexican holiday many countries celebrate it in South America. I know that Argentina, Chile and Uruguay also have Dia de Los Muertos.  Each country has their own traditions and personal symbols to represent it but I just cant see what Lana would be appropriating of or why mention Dia de Los Muertos in her movie would be a problem even more why would be a offense.

glgcDdT.gif

If you go to her real YouTube page, the only comment it shows that she posted on the Tropico was the 'so do i' one, so I'm not really trusting the 2 weeks (also it shows her comment on Barrie's video which means that it's obviously updated, etc) but I'm hopin for the best but expectin the worst tbh :ohno:

I saw it with my own eyes before she removed it.

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

While I'd love for "Diamond Ring" produced by David Kahne to be a real thing, I sincerely hope nobody's dicking us around posing like that. I fucking hate that kind of shit.

:dorothy3:

@ tell us :popcorn:

I'm taking bets on it NOT coming out in 2 weeks. She deleted that comment, right?

Nope, just checked and it's still there. As is "it's coming you little bitch"  :teehee:

i still have no idea what tropico is gonna be about lmao :toofunny:

Well there's an account on twitter that has evryone fricked out and says things like she's gonna be called Amelia and it's gonna be 33mn long and stuff.

tumblr_mlpo4ngRQC1re3sv3o1_500.gif

Well there's an account on twitter that has evryone fricked out and says things like she's gonna be called Amelia and it's gonna be 33mn long and stuff.

What account?

And I really did stop and think about the content of Tropico for a moment.

Extraterrestrials

Cholas

Strip Clubs

Mary

Jesus

Marilyn

John

Elvis

Garden of Eden

You can call it campy and cheesy, but I find it more confusing. Excited to see where this goes....

I thought it was certain that Shaun and her are playing Adam and Eve? I mean the promo pictures are pretty clear in that regard.

tumblr_msfqg0hpqG1sx7kg2o5_250.gif

I thought it was certain that Shaun and her are playing Adam and Eve? I mean the promo pictures are pretty clear in that regard.

Maybe she is Eve and Amelia is her stripper name  :uh:

I dont even think what they're saying about the Amelia thing is true tbh just stabbing in the dark

lH7Zs6V.gif