lflflflflflflflflflf

Ultraviolence - Pre-Release Thread

Didn't Juliette hate Lana way back?

she had done before she met her, I suppose

juliette-lewis-tweet.jpg

To be fair to Juliette, who I don't really like, didn't she later tweet in the following days that she looked up Lana's music and changed her mind on her?

No, Juliette met Lana way before that negative tweet when they were both guest performers during Mando Diao's MTV Unplugged performance. That's partly why it was so awkward. I talked about it starting at about 7:40 in Part 2 of my Lana Del Reydio podcast.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I don't think the Lollapalooza performance would've had new songs. At the time we were waiting for Tropico and had no idea about Ultraviolence. I wouldn't be suprised if she debuted a new song at Cochella because I think that the reason she is perfoming is to be seen in the public eye.

I know, Ultraviolence didn't even exist for us at that time haha, but I think some people (myself included) were expecting a new song, like that snippet that was on instagram or something--since it was a huge show and nothing new had been out since Paradise. Or that maybe she'd play a never before live song. I guess not necessarily new. 

But yes, I agree, Coachella would be good to debut because she'd be in the public eye. Only a few months now!

BVT4uKe.jpg   
8/1/13 . 8/2/13 . 5/16/14 . 10/4/14 . 10/11/14 . 5/30/15 . 7/28/16 . 5/20/17 . 1/11/18 . 2/11/18

Is this Juliette Lewis a well known person or do we just know about her because of Lana? I have no idea who she is and I keep seeing her mentioned on here 

o i just googled her she's an actress ok  :creep: still don't see the connection with Lana except that Lana seems to hang out with her randomly

Edited by Poison Ivy

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

Juliette Lewis was pretty famous at least.  She's more than just an actress, she does music too.  In the early-mid 90s (when Seinfeld still aired and Daft Punk did Gap commercials...), she was pretty well-known.  Don't read too much into it, they probably just met by chance somewhere and briefly hung out.  Lana might have a few songs on her phone or something and let Juliette listen. 

Madonna runs her own show enough that I think a lot of Interscope input will be put into UV.  I think they were initially going to write her off or keep her as a foreign market act but with Summertime Sadness and Young and Beautiful, they've got good momentum building.  I'd expect a single in April to keep her in the public consciousness.   Lana is a big gamble for them, but definitely less so after BTD.  They kind of paid the price of the backlash but now I think enough people are okay with her as casual listeners of Top 40 music.   It's the summer of Lana baby.

u6pq4c9.gif

Juliette Lewis was pretty famous at least.  She's more than just an actress, she does music too.  In the early-mid 90s (when Seinfeld still aired and Daft Punk did Gap commercials...), she was pretty well-known.  Don't read too much into it, they probably just met by chance somewhere and briefly hung out.  Lana might have a few songs on her phone or something and let Juliette listen. 

Madonna runs her own show enough that I think a lot of Interscope input will be put into UV.  I think they were initially going to write her off or keep her as a foreign market act but with Summertime Sadness and Young and Beautiful, they've got good momentum building.  I'd expect a single in April to keep her in the public consciousness.   Lana is a big gamble for them, but definitely less so after BTD.  They kind of paid the price of the backlash but now I think enough people are okay with her as casual listeners of Top 40 music.   It's the summer of Lana baby.

I am really here to see her having even more success for the next era than with BTD. On the other hand, you can never predict success. If she and Interscope want huge success with this era, she will need the help of airplay this time, which doesn't mean she has to come up with something generic. They just have to push the single big time on radio. And touring of course. 

If you wanna be heard in America, press isn't that effective. You need radio support and tour the country.

Yeah, that's why I expect some collaborations.  It's a classic big label move to prop up anything with another successful artist.  I fully expect a large US tour at medium-sized venues (she's not going to be doing the Staples Center but Madison Square Garden is a possibility). 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised with some EDM-influenced tracks.  I only have anecdotal evidence, but a lot of people seem to say "she's okay, her electronic stuff is cool" which basically means the remixes.  It'd be interesting how Black Beauty plays into that, but honestly I like Black Beauty more than the EDM stuff.  For non-fans but casual people who know who she is -- it falls into two camps:  people who like "Video Games" and "Blue Jeans" ("Black Beauty" plays to this sensibility) and then "Summertime Sadness" and the remixes.  The slow songs by nature just aren't good for radio, especially sad ones like Lana writes unfortunately.  I don't expect something like "Black Beauty" or AFFA to be a single or anything, but they'll have a place on the album.

I hate analyzing this merely as business because I'm sure there's some creative leeway Lana has.  If anything, there will be more unreleased stuff at least whatever the label decides to do.  But you're absolutely right, airplay is the name of the game and Interscope is going to try very hard to push it.

u6pq4c9.gif

Yeah, that's why I expect some collaborations.  It's a classic big label move to prop up anything with another successful artist.  I fully expect a large US tour at medium-sized venues (she's not going to be doing the Staples Center but Madison Square Garden is a possibility). 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised with some EDM-influenced tracks.  I only have anecdotal evidence, but a lot of people seem to say "she's okay, her electronic stuff is cool" which basically means the remixes.  It'd be interesting how Black Beauty plays into that, but honestly I like Black Beauty more than the EDM stuff.  For non-fans but casual people who know who she is -- it falls into two camps:  people who like "Video Games" and "Blue Jeans" ("Black Beauty" plays to this sensibility) and then "Summertime Sadness" and the remixes.  The slow songs by nature just aren't good for radio, especially sad ones like Lana writes unfortunately.  I don't expect something like "Black Beauty" or AFFA to be a single or anything, but they'll have a place on the album.

I hate analyzing this merely as business because I'm sure there's some creative leeway Lana has.  If anything, there will be more unreleased stuff at least whatever the label decides to do.  But you're absolutely right, airplay is the name of the game and Interscope is going to try very hard to push it.

I think you're overestimating Interscope's influence on Lana's music. With a lot of musicians, the labels do have a lot of influence and tend to push their opinion but Lana seems to be pretty good at getting her way with them. She said they didn't like Paradise but she managed to release that, barely any singles, she got them to finance Tropico which probably isn't making them a lot of money (I mean the tickets were free and I doubt too many people are buying songs we already have) and she has never toured the US properly. I actually think it's quite impressive how much power Lana seems to have, she just does whatever she wants and I think she'll do the same with Ultraviolence. And I really wouldn't expect a US tour, I mean it would be cool if she does it and she may surprise everyone but if you expect it you'll just be let down.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.