Sitar

LANALYSIS: Relating Songs To Known/Assumed Relationships

Don’t be afraid of me, don’t be ashamed

I don't know about this.

Walking away from my soft resurrection

Her suicide attempt failed.

I think she's talking to K that he doesn't need to be afraid, feel ashamed or guilty of her and her suicide attempt, since it was because of him and her wish to see him again. Even though you really miss someone you love, I doubt you want the person to commit suicide. That's why he would be kinda scared.

1st possibility: Maybe she's going to try to live without K after her suicide attempt failed and is asking K to help her because he's so wise and has a "brilliant direction", maybe she's talking about another man who she hopes is going to help her live her life right.

Not Jimmy because he's an addict.

Maybe Mike because he's a director (is he? Oh well, he's involved with the making of films).

Maybe Barrie because we don't know of any addiction and she seems happy with him but I think she was talking about somebody she met earlier.

Mike would make sense, since he apparently is someone she could lead a normal and right life with. Also, considering Heavy Hitter. "I heard a man screaming lights, camera, action. I can't remember what happened. I overdose, you throw me over your shoulder. I was dying, you were screaming". But that could be something from her love for cinema or something. Hmm. I would appreciate it if Barrie was the person she wants to do that. They seem happy together.

In Bel Air she mentions sweet child of mine and Knocking on heavens door (this one I assume) and I think they are not just a part of her song they also have a deeper meaning to the person the song is writed 2. " I grow up on hip hop and you kind of punkrock". In Bel Air I think both music's are very relevant. In Ride she mentions the war in her mind. In Bel Air she mentions:

Idol of roses, iconic soul

I know your name

Lead me to war with your brilliant direction

I think she is talking about God. Jesus was wearing a crown of thorns during the crucifixion. Also the term "rose from the dead is common in the bible.

glgcDdT.gif

Makes me wonder how you even notice all of these minor details you're pointing out in songs and manage to turn them into something very worthwhile to read and ponder about

Do you have a lot of free time? :erm:

lH7Zs6V.gif      

This might have already been posted... :ohno:

I think Burning Desire and Body Electric could be about K. They have lines that refer to a past relationship which ended a while ago, but she's 'going about the world like I'm having fun.' They remind me of Dark Paradise, she doesn't want to let go of what she used to have, so she just doesn't.

'We don't need nobody, 'cause we got each other, or at least I pretend'

The rest of the song ('we get down every Friday night' etc.) is just about what they used to do, or what she would be doing. The link with death being 'Heaven is my baby, suicide's her father, opulence is the end'. Her lover is dead, and she wants to be with him perhaps?

Burning Desire is Dark Paradise or Body Electric in a more sexual way. Again, it's fantasising about what she used to do or what she would be doing, she is trying to not only keep the memories alive but re-live them.

'I have to touch myself to pretend you're there...over and over again like my only prayer'.

I may be crazy, but I'm sure they link somehow. Again, sorry if this has already been posted somewhere!

nhemaxW.gif

I think Burning Desire and Body Electric could be about K. They have lines that refer to a past relationship which ended a while ago, but she's 'going about the world like I'm having fun.' They remind me of Dark Paradise, she doesn't want to let go of what she used to have, so she just doesn't.

The rest of the song ('we get down every Friday night' etc.) is just about what they used to do, or what she would be doing. The link with death being 'Heaven is my baby, suicide's her father, opulence is the end'. Her lover is dead, and she wants to be with him perhaps?

Burning Desire is Dark Paradise or Body Electric in a more sexual way. Again, it's fantasising about what she used to do or what she would be doing, she is trying to not only keep the memories alive but re-live them.

'I have to touch myself to pretend you're there...over and over again like my only prayer'.

I may be crazy, but I'm sure they link somehow. Again, sorry if this has already been posted somewhere!

I like how you described the relations in "Body Electric" but I don't think "Burning Desire" is about past relationships at all. Probably this song was written mostly to fit the Jaguar campaign than anything else, I guess it wasn't just a coincidence that Lana had written a song that was so fitting.

- 1949 (Companion to “Queen of the Gas Station”. Evokes a grand, escapist road trip already fetishized in the aforementioned song as well as “On Our Way”. That could conveniently put these two songs under Jimmy’s header, but this theory is a little too far-fetched to instantly settle on that. Consider: you say we’re gonna run away…flying around on the highway versus It’s a motel flower nation / Day and night on our last vacation, we gonna see it all; and the references to small-town Americana throughout “Queen of the Gas Station”. On the other hand, this includes the lyric big jail break--might this roadtrip be a final hurrah before getting locked up? Hey, you tell me how that works.)

This may sound completely stupid but could this be about K wanting to get out of jail (Daddy, baby, big jail break), them taking a road trip and committing suicide (Day and night on our last vacation / We gonna see it all before we say goodbye) in the end because the police would find K and lock him up again? Or possibly Lana fantasizing about that?

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

HOLY FUCK THIS IS SO BEHIND.

Makes me wonder how you even notice all of these minor details you're pointing out in songs and manage to turn them into something very worthwhile to read and ponder about

Do you have a lot of free time? :erm:

Not recently :aw:

Thanks, though?

i didn't go through all of the pages but umm.. in never let me go she says "You can push your drugs and I can make it big,"... K?

In my opinion, the "best friend" line is more telling than the drug line. Because Jimmy was thought to be on drugs, as well--he just didn't go to prison for it. In fact, all the money references in K songs could be a number of illegal things like pimping or being in the mafia. I don't think he has a claim on all drug references.

:flutter: In love with your Body Electric theory, I never thought about it like that. I've actually forgotten where I put that song...Barrie, I think, or unspecified.

However, the pretending line in Burning Desire could simply mean she's horny and Barrie's in another country. Which probably happens often :teehee:

This may sound completely stupid but could this be about K wanting to get out of jail (Daddy, baby, big jail break), them taking a road trip and committing suicide (Day and night on our last vacation / We gonna see it all before we say goodbye) in the end because the police would find K and lock him up again? Or possibly Lana fantasizing about that?

Was actually thinking about this series of songs the other day--that is, QOTGS, 1949, and Every Man Has His Wish. I think it very well could be a fantasy about him breaking out of jail and them escaping ("to the great sunshine" = "every man deserves to see the sunrise"?). Let's not with highinthemind "OMG he did escape!", but it seems valid. Also, the "promised me this, were you lying?" is a rare moment of sorrow in EMHHW, which sort of suggests that she's been abandoned. Also also, I think the change from Pontiac to Chevrolet is probably significant.

Okay I'm neglecting emoticons and homework tonight and doing this.

Well I've taken a shit ton of notes from the later pages of this thread (this really is a whole fucking research project, you're welcome tbh) and I'm just gonna write something here so that I'm not tempted to add it to the OP because it's ten shades of ridiculous:

Sometimes "Bel Air" really sounds like she had an abortion or miscarriage. I know, highinthemind, but really. Longing for something that has slipped away from her--as far away as death, even. Really wanting to just be with the subject of the song, likely in the afterlife. The most personal song on the album, according to her YouTube--I guess love for a child significantly trumps love for a man. "Sweet child of mine"...And not much else, really, which is why I'm not seriously analyzing it for the official post. Just something to consider :P

Come to me, BABY :facepalm:

Okay, update on its way soon enough. Writing in a separate window because editing this thread has been known to turn disastrous, and therefore it seems less rushed so it's slower going. Deal.

In Body Eletric I think Lana talks about 2 specific moments in her life. I think the song is related to K. The way Lana changes who her daddy, mother and bestest friends is I think is a way to mark those 2 moments.

Elvis is my daddy,
Marilyn’s my mother,
Jesus is my bestest friend
We don’t need nobody,
‘Cause we got each other,
Or at least I pretend

We get down every Friday night,
Dancin’ and grindin’ in the pale moonlight
Grand Ole Opry, we're feelin’ alright,
Mary prays the rosary for my broken mind

You see that she changes later on who is her daddy, mother and bestest friend. At first Jesus is her bestest friend and they got each other or at least she pretends. Mary is the mother of Jesus. Lana said that she has contact with the mother of the man she sings about (in this case I think is K). Grand Ole Opry is a show that is broadcasted every friday night. Maybe they use to listen to the show together and now every friday night she goes out and pretends K is still here. Here she is more young and innocent listening to Elvis and dressing like Marylin

I’m on fire, baby I'm on fire

Whitman is my daddy,
Monaco’s my mother,
Diamonds are my bestest friend.

Elvis, Marilyn and Jesus mark a previous period. Later her her daddy becomes Whitman, Monaco as a Mother and diamonds as bestest friend.  I think is a way to mark time in the sense she had changed and time passess as life goes on.  Is also a sign of somewhat loneliness and emptiness but also more money. Diamonds and Monaco represent opulence but also emptyness. Is a place and a thing. Whitman as father which is a poet that also talks a lot about death. Lana mentioned him several times and quoted hiis poem a child in the grass in her old missdaytona twitter account. I think the time fits with what she is talking in Body Eletric and also fits the music.

Quote from Whitman poem child in the grass:

"What do you think has become of the young and old men?
What do you think has become of the women and
children?
They are alive and well somewhere;
The smallest sprouts show there is really no death,
And if ever there was it led forward life, and does not wait
at the end to arrest it,
And ceased the moment life appeared.
All goes onward and outward. . . .and nothing collapses,
And to die is different from what any one supposed, and
luckier. "

Suicide’s her father,
Opulence is the end

Dancing and grinding in the pale moonlight
Grand Ole Opry
We're feelin’ alright,

This is the trick part to me. I don't personaly think Lana ever tried to kill herself. It takes a lot of desperation to take your own life. As much as she suffers I don't see her doing it. The other thing is she is somewhat religious and obssessed with heaven. People who commit suicide in most religions don't get to heaven. To me the reference as suicide is a way to say she was desperate. You have many ways to use suicide as a figure of speech or K has commited suicide because of the life style he chose for himself and his suicide is the father, the reason, why she is alone. Opulence is the end is also interesting since her mother is now monaco and her bestest friend are diamonds. In the end she ended up with many things but whithout what she really wanted that was k.

My clothes still smell like you,
All the photographs say you're still young
I pretend I’m not hurt and go about the world like I’m having fun
We get crazy every Friday night,
Drop it like it’s hot in the pale moonlight
Grand Ole Opry
feeling alright,
Mary's swaying softly to her heart's delight

One of the things about diying young is that you never grow old. Is a very strange thing specially when you look at pictures.  I guess that is what Lana is talking about since looking to pictures of someone who you lost and than looking at yourself in the mirror you really see how time has passed even if that person is pretty alive in your memories and in your head. In your head time stands still but in reality years has gonne by. I think here she makes that reference that her clothes still smell like him and the pictures shows her he is still young and iher mind she pretends they got each other.

glgcDdT.gif

Well I've taken a shit ton of notes from the later pages of this thread (this really is a whole fucking research project, you're welcome tbh) and I'm just gonna write something here so that I'm not tempted to add it to the OP because it's ten shades of ridiculous:

Sometimes "Bel Air" really sounds like she had an abortion or miscarriage. I know, highinthemind, but really. Longing for something that has slipped away from her--as far away as death, even. Really wanting to just be with the subject of the song, likely in the afterlife. The most personal song on the album, according to her YouTube--I guess love for a child significantly trumps love for a man. "Sweet child of mine"...And not much else, really, which is why I'm not seriously analyzing it for the official post. Just something to consider :P

Come to me, BABY :facepalm:

Okay, update on its way soon enough. Writing in a separate window because editing this thread has been known to turn disastrous, and therefore it seems less rushed so it's slower going. Deal.

But what about these lines?

I won’t cheat you no more

You've got a flair for the violentest kind of love anywhere out there

Didn’t anyone ever tell you it’s ok to shine?

I know your name

Grenadine, sunshine, can you break this heart of mine?

Imo, they don`t make sense if she`s talking to a child.

In Body Eletric I think Lana talks about 2 specific moments in her life. I think the song is related to K. The way Lana changes who her daddy, mother and bestest friends is I think is a way to mark those 2 moments.

Elvis is my daddy,

Marilyn’s my mother,

Jesus is my bestest friend

We don’t need nobody,

‘Cause we got each other,

Or at least I pretend

Dancin’ and grindin’ in the pale moonlight

Grand Ole Opry, we're feelin’ alright,

You see that she changes later on who is her daddy, mother and bestest friend. At first Jesus is her bestest friend and they got each other or at least she pretends. Mary is the mother of Jesus. Lana said that she has contact with the mother of the man she sings about (in this case I think is K). Grand Ole Opry is a show that is broadcasted every friday night. Maybe they use to listen to the show together and now every friday night she goes out and pretends K is still here. Here she is more young and innocent listening to Elvis and dressing like Marylin

I’m on fire, baby I'm on fire

Whitman is my daddy,

Monaco’s my mother,

Diamonds are my bestest friend.

Elvis, Marilyn and Jesus mark a previous period. Later her her daddy becomes Whitman, Monaco as a Mother and diamonds as bestest friend.  I think is a way to mark time in the sense she had changed and time passess as life goes on.  Is also a sign of somewhat loneliness and emptiness but also more money. Diamonds and Monaco represent opulence but also emptyness. Is a place and a thing. Whitman as father which is a poet that also talks a lot about death. Lana mentioned him several times and quoted hiis poem a child in the grass in her old missdaytona twitter account. I think the time fits with what she is talking in Body Eletric and also fits the music.

Quote from Whitman poem child in the grass:

"What do you think has become of the young and old men?

What do you think has become of the women and

children?

They are alive and well somewhere;

The smallest sprouts show there is really no death,

And if ever there was it led forward life, and does not wait

at the end to arrest it,

And ceased the moment life appeared.

All goes onward and outward. . . .and nothing collapses,

And to die is different from what any one supposed, and

luckier. "

Suicide’s her father,

Opulence is the end

Dancing and grinding in the pale moonlight

Grand Ole Opry

We're feelin’ alright,

This is the trick part to me. I don't personaly think Lana ever tried to kill herself. It takes a lot of desperation to take your own life. As much as she suffers I don't see her doing it. The other thing is she is somewhat religious and obssessed with heaven. People who commit suicide in most religions don't get to heaven. To me the reference as suicide is a way to say she was desperate. You have many ways to use suicide as a figure of speech or K has commited suicide because of the life style he chose for himself and his suicide is the father, the reason, why she is alone. Opulence is the end is also interesting since her mother is now monaco and her bestest friend are diamonds. In the end she ended up with many things but whithout what she really wanted that was k.

My clothes still smell like you,

All the photographs say you're still young

I pretend I’m not hurt and go about the world like I’m having fun

We get crazy every Friday night,

Drop it like it’s hot in the pale moonlight

Grand Ole Opry

feeling alright,

Mary's swaying softly to her heart's delight

One of the things about diying young is that you never grow old. Is a very strange thing specially when you look at pictures.  I guess that is what Lana is talking about since looking to pictures of someone who you lost and than looking at yourself in the mirror you really see how time has passed even if that person is pretty alive in your memories and in your head. In your head time stands still but in reality years has gonne by. I think here she makes that reference that her clothes still smell like him and the pictures shows her he is still young and iher mind she pretends they got each other.

Maybe K wanted to or really did commit suicide when he was on Death Row so he wouldn`t be killed there. That doesn`t really make sense though because people who commit/try to commit suicide don`t go to heaven. Or maybe he "found god" after attempting to commit suicide and that`s how Lana found god too? Because he told her about god?

And all the photographs say that you're still young

K isn`t young. And her talking about old photos of his don`t really make sense because she`s talking about all of the photos. Or maybe K has been in prison for a very long time so there are no recent photos of his (except for mugshots) to look at? Maybe they met when she was still a kid and they developed a relationship while he already was in jail? 

Personally, I`ve never really seen to mother, father lines as very deep or meaningful, just Lana being overly dramatic and poetic.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

I know your name

Maybe K wanted to or really did commit suicide when he was on Death Row so he wouldn`t be killed there. That doesn`t really make sense though because people who commit/try to commit suicide don`t go to heaven. Or maybe he "found god" after attempting to commit suicide and that`s how Lana found god too? Because he told her about god?

I don't know if K commited suicide. Is a grey zone that for me. I don't think was K particularly that made Lana surch for her spirituality. His death probably made her look more into her spirituality of course but I think that such surch, the questions  was always inside her.

And all the photographs say that you're still young

K isn`t young Young is subjective. Lana met K when she was a teen maybe K was a couple years older than her but he was young just older than her. And her talking about old photos of his don`t really make sense because she`s talking about all of the photos. All the photos of his suggest his is young because he is dead. He died he didn't grow older even if older is not old. Or maybe K has been in prison for a very long time so there are no recent photos of his (except for mugshots) to look at? Maybe they met when she was still a kid and they developed a relationship while he already was in jail? I think you are watching too much movies IOL...a teen having a relationship through letters with a guy in prison who she met as a kid?? A huge stretch to be honest. She talks about K in several others songs. He went to prison for some reason and not a light reason like stealing chickens. I think she met him in Lake Placid and had a relationship with him. During the summer is when she would spend more time with him since is when she got out of Kent in summer holidays. Kent is a good 4 hours drive from Lake Placid so I presume she spent more time with him during the summer.

Personally, I`ve never really seen to mother, father lines as very deep or meaningful, just Lana being overly dramatic and poetic. She makes several encoded reference like any good writer does. I think they are for poetic reasons but they do have a meaning. I see Body Eletric having another interpretation like her alcoholism but not really the one you pointed out. But is just an opinion anyway.

Posted my points in blue....

glgcDdT.gif

All the photos of his suggest his is young because he is dead. He died he didn't grow older even if older is not old

Yeah, but he was significantly older than her, wasn`t he? So she could probably not have known him when he was young, he must have already been kinda old when they met. When are the photos from? Are they really old photos from back when they hadn`t met yet or did they meet a long time ago when he was still kinda young and before he went to prison?

I think you are watching too much movies IOL...a teen having a relationship through letters with a guy in prison who she met as a kid?? A huge stretch to be honest. She talks about K in several others songs. He went to prison for some reason and not a light reason like stealing chickens. I think she met him in Lake Placid and had a relationship with him. During the summer is when she would spend more time with him since is when she got out of Kent in summer holidays. Kent is a good 4 hours drive from Lake Placid so I presume she spent more time with him during the summer.

I don`t know..if they met when she was younger and they stayed in contact for a long time? It was only a theory but it most definitely isn`t impossible. I only brought that up because of the photos. If he went to prison when he was still kinda young, they couldn`t have had a relationship before prison. 

Now he's in a jail cell for some thirty years now

Last year, they decided that his time was up and then he got retried (From For K)

Ok, this is weird to me. He couldn`t have been in prison for 30 years and then be retried because Lana just isn`t that old (or is she?  :creep: ). So what does the "his time was up" mean? I feel like that must`ve been at least a few years. For K is from Sirens which was recorded between 2005 and 2006, so Lizzy was 19-21. We don`t know when she wrote Sirens, this could be from when she was 10, it could be from when she was 20.

Sent him onto death row, not to hang around though

To me this sounds like he had been in prison for quite a while since it usually takes years till people on death row really are executed. To me, it sounds like he had been in prison for years, was then moved to death row and was planned to be executed quite quickly because he had already been in prison for a long time. What do the others think?

I know your name

Well that's why it's not getting added :sideeye:

You have interesting points. Again in blue.

Yeah, but he was significantly older than her, wasn`t he?I don't think he was much older than her. Is there any evidence that he was much older than Lana? I So she could probably not have known him when he was young, he must have already been kinda old when they met. I think they met in Lake Placid and I think she met him quite young but not like a child more like in her teens. When are the photos from? Can be from anywhere actually. Just pictures that Lana has of him. Could be taken when they were together. Are they really old photos from back when they hadn`t met yet or did they meet a long time ago when he was still kinda young and before he went to prison? Again I don't think K was old and I think the pictures are just random pictures that any couple take together or of rach other. Maybe she still maintained a relationship with him for a while when he was already in prison maybe she broke up. I think she broke up with him because of some other songs but could be the other way really.

I don`t know..if they met when she was younger and they stayed in contact for a long time? It was only a theory but it most definitely isn`t impossible. I only brought that up because of the photos. If he went to prison when he was still kinda young, they couldn`t have had a relationship before prison. I think they had a relationship that lasted for at least a while. Gangsta Boy, Whithout you, Dark Paradise, Summertime Sadness, Bel Air and a couple more I think  are all related to K. I also think he went to prison and something happened there. Like you said yourself she was 20 21 probably when she released Sirens.

Now he's in a jail cell for some thirty years now

Last year, they decided that his time was up and then he got retried (From For K)

Ok, this is weird to me. He couldn`t have been in prison for 30 years and then be retried because Lana just isn`t that old (or is she?  :creep: ). Lana is a very well preserved egyptian Mummy. So what does the "his time was up" mean? I feel like that must`ve been at least a few years. For K is from Sirens which was recorded between 2005 and 2006, so Lizzy was 19-21. We don`t know when she wrote Sirens, this could be from when she was 10, it could be from when she was 20. True. Like any of her songs we can only have the release chronology not the chronology that she actually wrote.  I think K only spent a couple years in jail and something happened to him. Maybe he is not even dead IOL...just in prison forever and dead to her. I mean I think he is actually dead but who knows?

Sent him onto death row, not to hang around though

To me this sounds like he had been in prison for quite a while since it usually takes years till people on death row really are executed. To me, it sounds like he had been in prison for years, was then moved to death row and was planned to be executed quite quickly because he had already been in prison for a long time. What do the others think? I am not sure I think people from USA are probably more familiar with the death row rules but I think that some people stand in the not really many years. If I am not wrong depends not only the crime you have commited but also the State (US State) you have commited the crime.

glgcDdT.gif

I don't think he was much older than her. Is there any evidence that he was much older than Lana?

I thought we had established that he was significantly older than her.

I think they met in Lake Placid and I think she met him quite young but not like a child more like in her teens.

Well, we don`t really have evidence for them meeting anywhere at any time, do we? frustrating.

Can be from anywhere actually. Just pictures that Lana has of him. Could be taken when they were together

Yeah, sure but she says all the pictures say that you`re still young. I think you`re ignoring that point. He`s young in the pictures. So he`s either been a prison for a long time (and he went in when he was still "young") or he wasn`t that much older than Lana but I thought that we had established that he was significantly older than her so I`m trying to find other explanations. They could only have been taken when they were together if: 1. K-is-old-theory: They met when she was still very young. or 2. K-ain`t-that-old-theory: Well, he just ain`t that that old.

Again I don't think K was old and I think the pictures are just random pictures that any couple take together or of rach other. Maybe she still maintained a relationship with him for a while when he was already in prison maybe she broke up. I think she broke up with him because of some other songs but could be the other way really.

Why don`t you think K was old? I`ve been interpreting being sure he was old. I don`t think they broke up: K's a friend of mine / I think about him as he does time (For K).

I think they had a relationship that lasted for at least a while. Gangsta Boy, Whithout you, Dark Paradise, Summertime Sadness, Bel Air and a couple more I think  are all related to K. I also think he went to prison and something happened there. Like you said yourself she was 20 21 probably when she released Sirens.

I think they were together for a while too since she seems to have loved him (and still loves him) quite intensely and is still writing about him years later.

True. Like any of her songs we can only have the release chronology not the chronology that she actually wrote.  I think K only spent a couple years in jail and something happened to him. Maybe he is not even dead IOL...just in prison forever and dead to her. I mean I think he is actually dead but who knows?

like what?

I am not sure I think people from USA are probably more familiar with the death row rules but I think that some people stand in the not really many years. If I am not wrong depends not only the crime you have commited but also the State (US State) you have commited the crime.

In the United States, prisoners may wait years before execution can be carried out due to the complex, expensive, and time-consuming appeals procedures mandated in the jurisdiction. The time between sentencing and execution has increased relatively steadily between 1977 and 2010, including a 22% jump between 1989 and 1990 and a similar jump between 2008 and 2009. In 2010, a death row inmate waited an average of 178 months (or close to 15 years) between sentencing and execution. (Source: http://journalistsresource.org/studies/government/criminal-justice/capital-punishment-2010-statistics/)

Yeah, sure but she says all the pictures say that you`re still young. I think you`re ignoring that point. He`s young in the pictures. So he`s either been a prison for a long time (and he went in when he was still "young") or he wasn`t that much older than Lana but I thought that we had established that he was significantly older than her so I`m trying to find other explanations. They could only have been taken when they were together if: 1. K-is-old-theory: They met when she was still very young. or 2. K-ain`t-that-old-theory: Well, he just ain`t that that old.

Speaking about age in Lana songs gets so muddy. Like, "Afraid" is almost definitely a Mike song, but they didn't meet when they were teenagers. Probably not even when she was a teenager. Maybe it's all some "young at heart" shit.