1. 1. Which Era?

• Pre-BTD
    • Born To Die
    • Paradise
    • Tropic/Transition
    • Ultraviolence

sometime in 2011, pre BTD

i'm pretty sure it was just before the BTD video was posted on youtube

fell in love with video games, blue jeans, diet mtn dew, yayo and kinda outta luck, so i was really excited for the album release

tumblr_mnotclIc9L1s7mwiio4_500.gif

Born to die : its video was just released, I watched it, the song didn't do much but the visuals had struck me so after a few Days, i watched it again, then a 3rd time and I fell in love with the song, then I watched/listened to Blue Jeans (home made video) and BAM I was hooked ! :D

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

It was like 2 days before Born to Die was released (on my birthday :smile: ), and I randomly watched the Born to Die video, I was like "wtf with her voice" except for the "come and take a walk..." thing. But the visuals impressed me so much that I wached it like 3 times in a row, and the third time I completly fell in love with the song. Then i listenned to everything else, like "Yayo", "Video Games" and some stuff from AKA and "Video Games" made me a hardcore fan.

(so then I stole in my mom's purse to buy Born to Die 2 days later  :oopna: )

Wow, so many pre-BTD fans :cuteface: Feeling so inferior to you guys...

...because I discovered Lana at the very end of her BTD era and then it took me a while to become her devoted fan so in fact I belong to the Paradise era.

And the wind I know it’s cold

I was seeing her pictures on tumblr & some fashion magazines in 2011. I loved her eyes, how she tends to pose looking upward at the camera with no smile. I read that she was a musician, but I didn't bother looking her up because I felt like I already knew what she would sound like. I was wrong. So that year, around july-august, I visited my cousin in San Diego. She was listening to nothing but BTD and my first reaction was: such a haunting voice, sounds like billy holiday, sounds like my friend, as well (https://soundcloud.com/anne-wilson). I loved hearing BTD and asked my cousin who she was listening to.  So I learned about Lana Del Rey & Die Antwoord on that trip. BUT I forgot to look Lana up, or write her name down. So in the confusion of traveling, I forgot about her. I saw her more & more and bought BTD. I commenced stalking her on the inter web. I found like 50 unreleased songs and I loved them even more than BTD. I was endlessly intrigued and inspired. I became homeless in Oct. of 2011 and I really used music as my source of strength. By the time Ride came out, I was just barely getting my shit together. I was volunteering at a thrift shop in the daytime to have a place to stay indoors (and wifi). I hadn't thought much about Lana during my homeless months, I was usually pan handling or searching for work & shelter during the day. But I still remember that day Ride came out on youtube. I was folding clothes in the freezing back room of the thrift shop (no indoor heating), and I saw some FB announcement of Ride. So I watched it and I just remember feeling like someone was putting their hands on my shoulders and comforting me. Like every word and image was carefully chosen to give me a sense of courage & comfort. I started crying and feeling like all of Lana's vulnerability in that monologue resonated in me. I watched it all day till the shop closed and cried quite a bit. Crying really warms me up. I had been putting up a very strong front during my time on the streets, I saw the ugliness in people, but I also experienced the kindness of strangers. The instability of it all. It's painful to see the normalcy in everyday life, when you are struggling and grappling with survival. Most music at the time, seemed callous & indifferent to the suffering I felt on a daily basis. It all seemed to speak to the "it's the weekend, let's dance, it's so fun, light bubbly pop" crowd. So here was a song that just held me in it's arms and I knew then, that I was actually a non-apologetic fanatic. I felt electric. :D :D :D 

Pre-Born To Die Era

It was pretty exciting because we had AKA , leaked songs all the time and were expecting BTD...I still remember when I was addicted to DMD demo and I didn't know about AKA and then I listened and my life changed.

Wow, so many pre-BTD fans :cuteface: Feeling so inferior to you guys...

I'm kind of in the same boat as you! But I think we need another choice in the poll... :) I became a fan of Lana after hearing "Once Upon a Dream" during the movie Maleficent, which we saw in late May 2014. So, it's pretty far past Tropico, but Ultraviolence hadn't been released yet. I don't know if that would be considered "Tropico/Transition," or "Ultraviolence," or neither...