Rafael

Lana Del Rey Covers FADER Magazine

Every woman does not have to be a feminist. I sure as hell am not. In the words of Shai Woodley, the idea of raise power to women, take power away from men doesn't work. Even if she was an anti-feminist, what is the problem with that?

but LOL at the fact that she's just bored with and uninterested in the subject of feminism

Just the fact that you quoted the idiot that is Shailene Woodley shows that you have absolutely no understanding of what feminism is… 

:um:  :wtf:

Just the fact that you quoted the idiot that is Shailene Woodley shows that you have absolutely no understanding of what feminism is… 

:um:  :wtf:

Hahahaha I do. I agree with Lana that women should do what they want. I don't agree with feminists in general who put their selves in the decisions of other women. If Lana loved a man who was abusive, why is that some feminist's business? And why should not being a feminist be a bad thing or being an anti-feminist be a bad thing? The whole "Born to Die is so anti-feminist" thing, who gives a fuck? People should just leave each other alone and let them do whatever they want.

l2Sq4K7gijMLVChUI.gif

U know what guys.. I understand that some of you don't care about feminism or you don't understand why it's such a big deal that Lana doesn't.. (by the way, I'm noticing nearly all of you that are saying this are males) but it's completely valid that some users are angry by what Lana has said.  Personally, I get what she is trying to say in this particular interview.. but then I wonder if it's just what I am wanting her to say.  I'm done with the feminist question, as well as questions about the SNL backlash, shelved album (Lana Del Ray) questions, and name changes questions. They are boring and evoke similar withheld responses from Lana.  Clearly she's not interested in discussing any of these topics.  I guess that's why she really shines in radio interviews because we can actually hear the tone of her voice and it's just more fluid than a print journalist having set questions/ searching for an angle.

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

&

Behind the scenes 

&

&

They just happened upon an olive green pontiac? Did they just break in? lol

Imagine you coming back to your car and seeing Lana getting photographed there.

"That raincloud-eyed, tattooed guy who always appears in her videos, from “Blue Jeans” to “West Coast”—his name is Bradley Soileau. Toward the end of our talk, I ask her why she has used him so much. “I like Brad because I respect him that he’s free enough to use his body as a canvas,” she says. “He has a quote about war written across his forehead. I like that he knew that alienated him from society in a way that he couldn’t work regular jobs. He made a conscious decision and manifested it physically that he was going to be on the periphery. I like what that symbolizes.” "

Cool!

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

How many of you cared about feminism before you saw a Tumblr post about it??

Hey, thanks to my mother, I've been a feminist my entire life. Way before Tumblr. Don't assume everyone heard about it because of the website...

When I ask her if she regrets joking like that, given how often people perceived her as a puppet of some executive team, she says, no, the story was true: “I had a seven-year relationship with the head of this label, and he was a huge inspiration to me. I’ll tell you later when more people know. He never signed me, but he was like my muse, the love of my life.

I wonder who that guy is. Do you guys have any idea? It's not K, right?

i am nothing and should be everything

Hahahaha I do. I agree with Lana that women should do what they want. I don't agree with feminists in general who put their selves in the decisions of other women. If Lana loved a man who was abusive, why is that some feminist's business? And why should not being a feminist be a bad thing or being an anti-feminist be a bad thing? The whole "Born to Die is so anti-feminist" thing, who gives a fuck? People should just leave each other alone and let them do whatever they want.

Feminists don't want to dictate the decisions of other women--they want all women to be able to make their own decisions. And I really emphasize all women because most people who are quick to cast off feminism as a silly, in-your-face fad are those who are satisfied with their rights and seem to forget the millions of women who don't live in America or Europe and don't have these rights, and whose very lives are often threatened by misogyny. These women are one of the main reasons why we need feminism, because nothing else is helping them. Feminism's goal is to ensure that every woman is able to live her life the way she wants it and make her own choices without any fear of misogynistic backlash. So feminism would applaud Lana's individuality and independence as a female and an artist, not condemn it.  :thankyou:

(Btw I don't think you'd be very happy if we let everyone do what they want like you suggest :eek:  )

Lana manages to describe exactly what feminism is and say she has no interest in it, yeah that’s real intellectual Lana

“My idea of a true feminist :facepalm: is a woman who feels free enough to do whatever she wants.” :smokes2:  :rollin:  :rollin:

Lana that is feminism, it's about being equal and free to do what you want as a female but you find it an uninteresting concept, oh okay don’t worry about the centuries of women that did have enough interest in the concept of equality and freedom for you to be where you are today to say and do the idiotic things you do  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :flop:   :toofloppy:  

Oh the shame of the contradiction, oh the irony how embarrassing. It’s so bad it’s worse than Alanis Morissette’s ‘Ironic’ :lmao:  :toofunny:  :facepalm:  :O  :$  :usrs:  :lmao:  :toofloppy:

Now I’ll say something that makes me sound intelligent :facepalm:

“I’m more interested in, you know, SpaceX and Tesla, what’s going to happen with our intergalactic possibilities.”  :facepalm:  :ohno:  :lmao:  :toofunny:  :flop:

But you already FAILED an intelligence question, this just makes you sound like an idiot :lmao:

“I’d been sick on tour for about two years with this medical anomaly that doctors couldn’t figure out,” she says, to my surprise. “That’s a big part of my life; I just feel really sick a lot of the time and can’t figure out why. It’s just heavy performing for people who really care about you, and you don’t really care that much about yourself sometimes. I thought it was sad. I thought my position was sad. I thought it was sad to be in Ireland singing for people who really cared when I wasn’t sure if I did.” :facepalm:

Okay just drop the Kurt Cobain mimicking. This is a carbon copy of Kurt’s description of his unexplained illness

"Choose your idol wisely; read books do what they did"

FFS that doesn’t mean you literally have to mimic everything out of Heavier than Heaven, it's too much. This is just too embarrassing  :smh:    :toofunny:

Lizzy you have to get over your envy of Kurt Cobain, he was who he was but.... who are you  :mj2:

Another fascinating interview, notwithstanding a few dead horses beaten. It looks like sad-Lana's here to stay, although I think she takes some consolation in winning battles. It's eye-openning that Barrie was worried about her depression during the negative hype wave. 

"Feminism" could have been easily dispatched by LDR had she said something like: "Well I'm for human rights and believe in the importance of the movement, but my artistic interests and personal life are not standard bearers for feminism" or something like that. As I think she's smart enough to know how to be politically correct, the fact that she didn't do that here signifies (for me) a kind of a media taunt. So instead she said:

“I’m more interested in, you know, SpaceX and Tesla, what’s going to happen with our intergalactic possibilities. Whenever people bring up feminism, I’m like, god. I’m just not really that interested.” ... My idea of a true feminist is a woman who feels free enough to do whatever she wants.” 

It's not what people want to hear, but I think it's progress. It's also somewhat ironic that media headlines have her "bored" or "not interested" in feminism as the attention grabber, but underemphasize that she's interested in (traditionally guy-dominated) things like SpaceX and Tesla. Perhaps, that was the point of her taunt, or maybe she's just honestly indifferent. It might have been cool to ask a meta-question like: why do you think people want to know what you think about feminism? Things like that often get at a world view better.

As @@evilentity suggested, the mention of Sirens by name is a significant thing (i.e. a confirmation that was her first intended album and that was actually her name for it). I wish she would start talking about some of the other leaks as well. Like the period between AKA being recorded and briefly released, when there was some kind of a musical explosion/wandering. I'd be fascinated in knowing how all those demos came to be and what her plans were for them back then (what prevented her from releasing them) and what her plans are for them now. 

my two cents

What i find strangest about her apparent complete ignorance of what feminism actually is - or what it does for her and millions of other women - is that her early BTD era career was so effected by what could be explained by sexism. I don't see men being questioned for their legitimacy nearly as much as women. Much of it was about her appearance at first, too.  It's also a really selfish approach to say "I don't need feminism, I'm free enough, it's boring" because great! She's rich and middle class and feels that way, fine. But for millions upon millions of other women, that's not the case. It's like not backing something just because it doesn't benefit you, even though it benefits billions of other people (and has and does benefit her...).

Having said that, I understand why she is disillusioned with feminism because she had some harsh, harsh criticisms from particularly feminist reviewers. Some of which, I also thought were unnecessarily harsh on her. Men get to write about these dark, inner thoughts and be called artistic, she does the same and gets huge backlash (because of the responsibility that gets placed on women in any kind of power). I understand it, but I also understand why she would take that to heart so personally and become jaded with the concept.

Ultimately, I wish she didn't have such an insular, "me me me" view on it... or at least be smarter in how it effects other people reading it. She could have easily just not answered that question, or found a filler question to use, rather than so carelessly disregard something with a pseudo-intelligent "lol stars and big galaxies what about me". I do feel like there's something up with her at the moment though and hope she's doing okay. All her answers are so very calculatedly Cobain or Morrison.

I have gold in my veins

I had intended to start this discussion elsewhere, but after reading the Fader interview I thought I'd comment here briefly.  I joined the Lanaboards because I have a deep emotional connection to the music of Lana Del Rey. I feel like she is talking for me.  I am also a student of them Myers-Briggs Temperament Indicator.  I am an INFP.  Based on what I've read on this site, I believe there are quite a few members that are also INFPs (see http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/2833-myers-briggs-type-indicator/  hat tip to Colacunt.)

INFPs are relatively rare personality types representing 2-5% of the population.  I speculate that Lizzy Grant is an INFP as well, which perhaps explains why so many INFPs are attracted to her.  After reading the Fader article I am more convinced that she is.  I will follow up in the conversations area as to exactly why I think this.

But to understand the INFP, you need to understand the following traits commoin to an INFPs: (see http://similarminds.com/jung/infp.html)

creative

smart

idealist

loner

attracted to sad things

disorganized

avoidant

can be overwhelmed by unpleasant feelings

prone to quitting

prone to feelings of loneliness

ambivalent of the rules

solitary

daydreams about people to maintain a sense of closeness

focus on fantasies

acts without planning

low self confidence

emotionally moody

can feel defective

prone to lateness

likes esoteric things

wounded at the core

feels shame

frequently losing things

prone to sadness

prone to dreaming about a rescuer

disorderly

observer

easily distracted

does not like crowds

can act without thinking

private

can feel uncomfortable around others

familiar with the darkside

hermit

more likely to support marijuana legalization

can sabotage self

likes the rain

sometimes can't control fearful thoughts

prone to crying

prone to regret

attracted to the counter culture

can be submissive

prone to feeling discouraged

frequently second guesses self

not punctual

not always prepared

can feel victimized

prone to confusion

prone to irresponsibility

can be pessimistic

These traits are core to who we are.  It is difficult to live in a world that has expectations of normalcy since we are anything but.  The Fader article seems to highlight much of this.

Anyway, rather than hijack this thread I will continue this discussion elsewhere.

Oh, and as an aside ... we take criticism as a personal attack.  There are many INFP blogs that discuss this issue ad nauseum.  Imagine what she must have gone through 2012-2013.  I would have been having suicidal thoughts on a daily basis as well.

Peace.

Yes!!  Fellow INFP here.  I defintely agree that Lana fits that profile as well, at least from what we know of her.  Makes me love her even more.

I don't think she is copying Kurt but she is so creative, poetic and artistically motivated that it gets in her way preventing her from weighing her opinions, and the effect the printing word will have later. Hope I make sense.

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

Human biology is a boring topic but that doesn't mean I don't believe in it - this is just being blown so out of proportion. Espescially when she said a pro-feminism line straight after she said it bores her.

I agree her phrasing was clunky and easily skewed (especially when the media is choosing to ignore the 'I believe all women should be free' line in all their articles....) but this is being blown up way more than it deserves  :smh:

It hurts me to know she is depressed. Hope Barrie can be a good man to our girl and that she finds comfort in love and friendship. I have been depressed my whole life... I truly love and care for LDR. Such a sweet lady who should never shed tears of sadness.

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

I just think there is a chance her words have been twisted, that's what media does. I mean, I sort of got my 15 mins of fame in my home country and the nonsense they had written about me was incredible, so since that I completely lost any kind of faith in media as such. But even if she did say that, I honestly don't see anything that awful there. She simply isn't interested, well, ok. Why does everyone have to be? Some people are more interested in other things. I just think people are over-reacting a little. While meanwhile, Lana just keeps on singing :twirls:

Ah yes, thank you for those explaining (in better words than I could) why I was frustrated with Lana not really caring about feminism. I thought this thread would stay with the theme of  "lol tumblr feminists strike again", but this is turning into a better discussion now.   :dance: