PARADIXO

Discussion: Is Lana an ICON?

Revolutionized was over stepping it, I'll give you that, but no matter how uninvolved she may have been in her sound or image, it was her ability to be such a good product that worked. Put Demi lovato in her shoes, circa 1998, and she wouldn't have been able to do half of what Britney did and in such a short amount of time.

compare other artists demos for Britney to the final Britney version and it becomes so evident she has something~

VyIsfwC.jpg

I'm a bit late to the party on this thread, but I'll say pretty much what a lot of others have said: Lana hasn't been around long enough for us to be able to determine whether or not she is an icon. She certainly has a unique style and sound, but that in itself doesn't make her an icon.

Two of my other favorite singers, Kim Wilde and Laura Branigan, were around for a long time (Laura died in 2004, but Kim is still around and still making music). They both made music for a long time, but I wouldn't consider either of them icons. The Beatles? Jim Morrison? Those are icons. :)

^ Agreed. Britney for example is someone who deserves to be called an icon. Not only has she dominated pop for over a decade, she has ~ revolutionized ~ it. Lana is really only beginning her break through in the U.S., while she is a big name and has accomplished a lot, I don't think she ever wanted to be an icon. So it's hard to put her in that lane.

Could you please tell me more about Britney's influence on pop music and culture? I'm aware that she was quite a revolutionary, as a new stan I just want to know how exactly she chaned the world. Thanks a lot <3

Nah... she's like the lovechild of several icons, rather than being iconic in herself. Maybe one day that'll change though.

My thoughts exactly.

i am nothing and should be everything

Could you please tell me more about Britney's influence on pop music and culture? I'm aware that she was quite a revolutionary, as a new stan I just want to know how exactly she chaned the world. Thanks a lot <3

she pretty much invented modern pop music and was easily the most popular and well-known pop star of the past two decades.

she pretty much invented modern pop music and was easily the most popular and well-known pop star of the past two decades.

Hmm, but there's also been Madonna and other stars, so how can she be the one to invent pop? Not arguing, just wondering.

i am nothing and should be everything

Hmm, but there's also been Madonna and other stars, so how can she be the one to invent pop? Not arguing, just wondering.

MODERN pop. Madonna dominated the 80s and into the 90s. Is she still relevant today..? I wouldn't say so.

Britney was a breakthrough artist with numerous amounts of hit single and albums sold.

Her sound molded the way pop music is today, she is the icon of pop.

She's still making music today (whether it's good music is arguable)

Guest Dot

MODERN pop. Madonna dominated the 80s and into the 90s. Is she still relevant today..? I wouldn't say so.

Britney was a breakthrough artist with numerous amounts of hit single and albums sold.

Her sound molded the way pop music is today, she is the icon of pop.

She's still making music today (whether it's good music is arguable)

What kind of ignorance. Britney became popular when Madonna was on her third or fourth peak. Music, Don't Tell Me, Hung Up, 4 Minutes were all WW #1 hit singles in the 00's and all of those albums were really successfull, especially Music and Confessions on a Dance Floor and yes, Madonna is still making a cultural impact today other than many artists that were considered as her replacement at a time when people said "she's over". Madonna has surpassed all of them and is still producing hit singles (not in the US but everywhere else). GMAYL was basically her first flop lead single since AL.

Britney's time is up. She hasn't done anything that was really innovative in pop music...seriously. She built her career on what Madonna and other artists have done before. Her producers and song writers were doing the most.

Britney's time is not up.. people wanna act like Britney Jean is the end-all of her career, as if your fave has never had an album flop before?? Britney would not be having as much success with Vegas that she is if her time was up, soooooooo. :smokeney:

14417469274.gif

Britney's time is not up.. people wanna act like Britney Jean is the end-all of her career, as if your fave has never had an album flop before?? Britney would not be having as much success with Vegas that she is if her time was up, soooooooo. :smokeney:

My fave is Lana tho :agree:

AKA flopped tho :creep:

Touché. But, I sorta think of a flop as an album that a) doesn't do as expected in the charts and b) sucks

AKA does neither of these things. I never listened to Britney-Jean so I can't really touch on that argument. Lana's better tho IMO (and in reality)

:lel:

Touché. But, I sorta think of a flop as an album that a) doesn't do as expected in the charts and b) sucks

AKA does neither of these things. I never listened to Britney-Jean so I can't really touch on that argument. Lana's better tho IMO (and in reality)

:lel:

The AKA thing was a joke lol. :P

I do prefer Lana but Britney is still up there for me, and I really don't like seeing people say rude/incorrect things about her when she's such a sweet person.

14417469274.gif

What kind of ignorance. Britney became popular when Madonna was on her third or fourth peak. Music, Don't Tell Me, Hung Up, 4 Minutes were all WW #1 hit singles in the 00's and all of those albums were really successfull, especially Music and Confessions on a Dance Floor and yes, Madonna is still making a cultural impact today other than many artists that were considered as her replacement at a time when people said "she's over". Madonna has surpassed all of them and is still producing hit singles (not in the US but everywhere else). GMAYL was basically her first flop lead single since AL.

Britney's time is up. She hasn't done anything that was really innovative in pop music...seriously. She built her career on what Madonna and other artists have done before. Her producers and song writers were doing the most.

lol each to their own I guess?

+ I don't deny that Madonna is an icon and a talented woman, she just doesn't have the impact britney does today

Doubt she's at Lana Boards (much), but Lady Gaga's given her thoughts on the general issue of what an icon is. She's being honored at some kind of "fashion party". Told the crowd to shut up while she was singing.

here's the quote (occurs at end):

"An icon, I believe, is somebody that has a strong message behind their beauty and I think all of the women that are here tonight have that," Gaga said on the red carpet. "I'm not sure that I have it, but I am pretty happy to be on the list with all these super models, so thank you."

So what's your message LG? What's Britney's or Madonna's? Are they all the same message? How much is physical beauty (plus talent) the essence of being an icon?

Una domanda, scusate se vado un po' fuori tema. Ho letto vari generi accostati a Lana, "hollywood sadcore", "lounge american", "alternative", "indie", "pop"...

Ma qualcuno sa come definirla? è un'artita semplicemente "pop"? Non riesco a capire cos'ha di diverso da tutti gli altri artisti pop...

thank you :)