larina

Is Lana Into B.D.S.M.?

It's fair to say Ride isn't  sex, actual prostitution 

Sure. I don't take songs as literal tales of people's lives, and I also don't think that BDSM (necessarily) has anything to do with prostitution. What I was thinking of more specifically was the scene where she's dancing slowly with the biker, and he's brushing her hair. I love that scene because it's transgressive - for one, it makes me go down a path where I'm thinking 'that can't be real', but then I have to question why someone who looks like that can't be loving and tender as well. It annoys me that the limits of the imagination of the general public seems to be that if something is portrayed in a film clip, then it's designed as a Guide for Living for young girls watching, but I prefer to see it as the other way around - this is a world (the world of the film clip) where people don't need to act in an abusive or exploitative way. Lana can literally structure the experience in the film clip to be exactly what she would have wanted it to be, unlike in real life. 

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

Honestly, this whole thing makes me wonder something about Lana's whole prostitution thing that may or may not have happened. She said she use to do these $100 jobs off of Craiglist, and it is possible she could have slipped into the personals part of it. Not to have sex with these men, but maybe to beat them possibly...? Like I've heard stories of regular day people and of people I know  who took on jobs just to beat the shit out of someone because the person who wanted to be beat shitless had a kink for it and had parental issues. It makes me wonder if Lana probably got desperate enough for money to just whip someone.... I know for a fact Christine F. from Zoo Station did this even though it was traumatizing to her. Maybe this is where Lana got her B.D.S.M things from, and later became a bit submissive. I doubt she does full-on BDSM she probably just wants to be spanked. Also, another thing is Dorothy from Blue Velvet the Lynch film wanted to be hit, that is another possibility where she got the themes from. In Lost Highway also I think Alice/Renee was into BDSM. It is possible Lynch's films had inspiration into these themes. 

I can't picture her being into the sado stuff, but I think she's into light bondage and submission. 

I agree.

Her sexual life's probably like in her videos...and reading about something doesn't mean practicing it, especially not be into sexual healing.

As for lyrics, she said about that UV song it's about her times, when she had some guru, so she explains in song how he made her feel pain, as it's pleasure, so from that, she should be against BDSM too.

True. 

Exactly what I think: she's not into hardcore BDSM. I would add that she probably enjoy some role play as well. I can imagine her as a naughty schoolgirl being spanked by her teacher  :P

I don't know if this might have any relevance, but there's the I'm walking home from school line in Take Me To Paris, etcetera, that could suggest she might actually be into schoolgirl/teacher role plays. Or maybe schoolgirl/daddy role plays  :hawt:.

hummm...I think Ride in particular is very related to the backlash she got  and her struggling years trying to get "noticed" and successful and nothing related to actual sex.  Actually Lana tells you what the song is about from the beginning:

Don't break me down 
I've been traveling too long 
I've been trying too hard 
With one pretty song 

IMO is a clear reference to Video Games, the one pretty song that was successful, her one pretty song.

During the monologue and song you can get tons of reference to that. I guess the prostitute part is also figurative and not literally. Which fits Lana's writing that is very figurative when describing time/eras, sensations or feelings. The prostitute or prostitution in question is the sold out, the "she's a product of Interscope and her fathers money" , she's a fake because Lana Del Rey is not her real name. Prostitutes sell themselves, use fake names,  it's the use of figurative language which is fair common in Lana's material

I believe in the country America used to be

I believe in the kindness of strangers 

I just ride

It's fair to say Ride isn't  sex, actual prostitution 

Exactly how I see Ride. I'm not sure about the prostitute part though...

I don't think there's anything wrong about being curious about this, but if you're going to take a few lines out of a few songs as evidence for something there is a danger of concluding too much from too little. She also talks a lot about drinking in her songs, so BDSM may be something like that? 

I think she likes obsessive-love related themes (I prefer the term obsessive to submissive), and her highly emotional style makes her seem a bit more subversive (aka authentic) than average. She may have been involved with badass males as one gets involved with drugs (also in her lyrics). However, she is also ambivalent about male badasses (e.g. Butterflies pt. 1 and 2) and likes to play a badass herself (Kinda out of luck, serial killer, playing dangerous, she's not me). The badasses in Ride where remarkably not depicted as such. She emotes feministically (Scarface, Noir), and while she wants to be "one of those girls" in MariIyn Monroe, she also knows she has us totally enthralled (in Dum Dum, where we linger even though she's mean). I just don't see her art as too heavily fixated on any *one kind* of obsessiveness. As for her real life? Neither Barrie nor Francesco give me BDSM vibes, and neither does LDR, tbh, when she tweets stuff like the Ertha Kitt video on relationships and compromises.

As for the "Boudoir Bible" that was referenced as being in Francessco's apt (RollingStone) @@ilovetati & @ mentioned, here's a youtube advert/video for it:

There is some BDSM referenced in the diagrams, but the goal emphasized is enhancing pleasure and not hurting the partner.

I was just using whatever I could think of at that current time, there's probably more evidential information that I will think of later. 

And Lana actually was an alcoholic, so there is a difference. 

True, true. Perhaps all the B.D.S.M.-like references could just be a tale. 

Well, we know she loves his ultraviolence.

Actually, that's interesting. "Lay me down tonight in my linen and curls" playing in the background of the chorus of "Ultraviolence" kind of makes it sound like she's asking him to give her all of his ultraviolence when he lays her down... Hmm...  ;)

I hear "Lay me down tonight, baby" but still  :oopna: that could be the case.

i've always gotten that vibe for her. personally, i'm anti-bdsm so i try to ignore it cos i still love her music & storytelling.   :whatever: 

Same, honestly. I don't get it. But yeah, same.

Honestly, this whole thing makes me wonder something about Lana's whole prostitution thing that may or may not have happened. She said she use to do these $100 jobs off of Craiglist, and it is possible she could have slipped into the personals part of it. Not to have sex with these men, but maybe to beat them possibly...? Like I've heard stories of regular day people and of people I know  who took on jobs just to beat the shit out of someone because the person who wanted to be beat shitless had a kink for it and had parental issues. It makes me wonder if Lana probably got desperate enough for money to just whip someone.... I know for a fact Christine F. from Zoo Station did this even though it was traumatizing to her. Maybe this is where Lana got her B.D.S.M things from, and later became a bit submissive. I doubt she does full-on BDSM she probably just wants to be spanked. Also, another thing is Dorothy from Blue Velvet the Lynch film wanted to be hit, that is another possibility where she got the themes from. In Lost Highway also I think Alice/Renee was into BDSM. It is possible Lynch's films had inspiration into these themes. 

Ohh, Lana actually had a prostitution thing? I've never heard of this before  :hdu:  This is also probably true!

tumblr_or3tpeCeWc1rtq3bfo1_400.gif

Ultraviolence, tbh.

I bet Rihanna's collection of toys and slaves is far better and wider  then Lana's. I honestly would allow Rihanna to "play" with me if the situation asked for it  :hooker:

YZOj3qH.gif

UwDm3eI.gifekHCj6k.gif

h8hcXaq.gif

glgcDdT.gif

I feel like she definitely doesn't object to toys and a little kink in the bedroom. I think she probably doesn't do anything too hardcore but I think she is definitely one to experiment. I just get that vibe from her but there are quite a few references in her songs that make it seem like it is a very real possibility that she's into bdsm.

Also I would not be surprised if she has a hot pinky sparkly dildo.

Can somebody list the info they know about Lana and her interests in prostitution? I noticed some prostitution references here and there, some little more obvious than others... is there a thread on that topic? Like in Brite Lites video, she put some amateur footage of hookers getting into clients car. Interestiiiiing....

it seems very clear that she's into DDLG, an aspect of BDSM  :P (same here ngl :cuteface: )

Yesss! :yesnod: This is why I think them "Daddy" references relate to B.D.S.M.

tumblr_or3tpeCeWc1rtq3bfo1_400.gif