ilovetati

Honeymoon - Pre-Release and Discussion Thread

All I can say is that she looked SO happy at the Golden Globes and she laughed and really seemed to enjoy herself. I haven't seen that Lana in a while.  :flutter:

Also, 4 songs are already produced, she has written 9, this album is probably finished when she starts her US tour. I can't wait!

Since when are singers not considered musicians?

This was a cheap shot. You got your likes. Of course that you can use the term more generally which can include the singers. But you know very well what I'm talking about multi instrumentalists, composers (Haynie, Kurstin, Parker, Heath, Nowels, Ronson etc.) people who can build a song, without them Lana would be doing perpetually Sirens albums.

Your argument doesn't make much sense to me. Not being able to enjoy a song without it being performed live is kind of ridiculous. There are many artists out there that only release their music without going on as many TV shows as possible or even touring. Except Lana still does tour, so you have live versions of the songs lol. It doesn't reflect how much an artist cares about their music when they don't "promote" it. You're all stuck in stan world/shallow logic. I'm not saying you aren't real fans, but you obviously just said you can't enjoy her music or artistry without some type of promo. Speaks for itself.

Just because Lana isn't playing every instrument on her records doesn't mean she isn't a musician. Writing good melodies, lyrics, and singing all take incredible talent. So yes, enjoy the music.

Now, that we are naming each other, for me you're the typical delusional Lana fan who fail to even properly read the other argument. I never said that I care about charts or promotion (for the sake of charting). Performances =/= going for the bling (see Kate Bush, St. Vincent, FKA TWigs (even SIA) and many others who actually perform their music).

What I'm talking about is her credibility as an lyricist and a singer (she cannot be blamed/praised for the sound). What is the purpose of writing about anything on Honeymoon if she doesn't explain it why she wrote those things?! You are not tired of building meanings from her cliches or name droppings?! I want her to say for once in a concert that I felt this way or I was bothered by this issue when she wrote the damn song. You cannot just hastily rush through a repetitive set of songs (not even singing in tune) with the same attitude and being outsang by the fans who are putting more passion than you in the damn songs. These are not performances worthy of a great lyricist or singer, these are gatherings, meetings with her fans, nothing more. But what we really are talking about here are the expectations that we have towards her as an artist.

Some of you are content with the same chitchats about inventing fake tracklists, speculating about the theme of her album when you know shit about it. I don't say that these are not acceptable discussions on a forum but please stop calling others trolls just because they think that other things are more important about her new era.

All the people mistaking fans, who like "promo" because it provides interesting stuff from the artist they love with people who only want promo because they only care about charts. :rip: Promoting an album doesnt interfere with being a "serious" artist.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

All the people mistaking fans, who like "promo" because it provides interesting stuff from the artist they love with people who only want promo because they only care about charts. :rip: Promoting an album doesnt interfere with being a "serious" artist.

I personally want heaps of promo this era so we get more of the live tv performances. I'm sick of shaky cam fan videos.

I mean, I am always a bit suprised when those who claim to be "the real fans" who don't want promo  unlike us" the fake stans" only want Lana to release an album and vanish? Do they get so sick of her so quickly? :D

This was a cheap shot. You got your likes. Of course that you can use the term more generally which can include the singers. But you know very well what I'm talking about multi instrumentalists, composers (Haynie, Kurstin, Parker, Heath, Nowels, Ronson etc.) people who can build a song, without them Lana would be doing perpetually Sirens albums.

She can produce though? Didn't she produce Guns and Roses? And the UV demos (I think) (which Dan said it sounded too much like '70s rock, so i don't think they were folky)

Can we all stop throwing around stan/fan/real fan/fake fan accusations every time someone makes a point you don't agree with? Think people need to get off their high horses. What gives anyone the right to declare someone else's fan status for them? At the end of the day, we all signed up to this forum with a shared interest in either Lana or her music. Getting tired of the same self-righteous elite issuing fan labels to others on here. 

Me, well I might not know Lana's full back catalogue of music lyric for lyric or in chronological order of time, day and date of recording prior to Video Games but hey, I have bought her albums and paid to see her live. Oh yeah and that's right, the girl on the left in my avatar - it happens to be me, and I'm not a cartoon or a figment of someone's imagination, so yeah - perfectly 'real' fan over here!

Can we all stop throwing around stan/fan/real fan/fake fan accusations every time someone makes a point you don't agree with? Think people need to get off their high horses. What gives anyone the right to declare someone else's fan status for them? At the end of the day, we all signed up to this forum with a shared interest in either Lana or her music. Getting tired of the same self-righteous elite issuing fan labels to others on here. 

Me, well I might not know Lana's full back catalogue of music lyric for lyric or in chronological order of time, day and date of recording prior to Video Games but hey, I have bought her albums and paid to see her live. Oh yeah and that's right, the girl on the left in my avatar - it happens to be me, and I'm not a cartoon or a figment of someone's imagination, so yeah - perfectly 'real' fan over here!

drag them baby

Now, that we are naming each other, for me you're the typical delusional Lana fan who fail to even properly read the other argument. I never said that I care about charts or promotion (for the sake of charting). Performances =/= going for the bling (see Kate Bush, St. Vincent, FKA TWigs (even SIA) and many others who actually perform their music).

What I'm talking about is her credibility as an lyricist and a singer (she cannot be blamed/praised for the sound). What is the purpose of writing about anything on Honeymoon if she doesn't explain it why she wrote those things?! You are not tired of building meanings from her cliches or name droppings?! I want her to say for once in a concert that I felt this way or I was bothered by this issue when she wrote the damn song. You cannot just hastily rush through a repetitive set of songs (not even singing in tune) with the same attitude and being outsang by the fans who are putting more passion than you in the damn songs. These are not performances worthy of a great lyricist or singer, these are gatherings, meetings with her fans, nothing more. But what we really are talking about here are the expectations that we have towards her as an artist.

Some of you are content with the same chitchats about inventing fake tracklists, speculating about the theme of her album when you know shit about it. I don't say that these are not acceptable discussions on a forum but please stop calling others trolls just because they think that other things are more important about her new era.

I don't think there's anything more important about a Lana era than the music itself, period. But seriously, works of art shouldn't have to be explained by their artists on stage or something. Art is meant to be studied and through that the meaning will be revealed. That's what is so interesting about almost every form of art whether it's literature, music, or visual. It'd be boring if she explained everything perfectly. Where would be the mystique, the star power, or the elusiveness that makes Lana what she is? You completely don't understand who and what she is as an artist and it makes me feel like you're mentally lazy for wanting her to spell everything out for you so you can "get" it. That's what makes me think you're just not going to last as a fan of hers. Might as well give it up now. 

And I'm not saying I WANT her to release the album and vanish. But I'm merely saying she completely has the option to, just like any other artist. She isn't our barbie doll to play dress up with and to make dance and sing whenever we want to. Leave that for someone like Katy Perry who willingly puts herself in that kind of position. But the option to release something and not have to shove it into people's faces through performances and interviews IS a legitimate way to do things. Look at Prince, Kate Bush, Bjork, David Bowie... None of them feel the need to do all that. It'd be perfectly fine if they did, but they don't. I just don't understand why you have to keep pushing so hard for her to do anything other than make music. She's said before that that's what she enjoys doing: writing and making the music itself. 

If you are just so fed up with the way Lana does things then I suggest you give up on her. Artists generally become even more reclusive with age, so BTD may have been the most outgoing Lana you'll ever get. Enjoy the MUSIC!!!

I'M NOT SORRY

I don't think there's anything more important about a Lana era than the music itself, period. But seriously, works of art shouldn't have to be explained by their artists on stage or something. Art is meant to be studied and through that the meaning will be revealed. That's what is so interesting about almost every form of art whether it's literature, music, or visual. It'd be boring if she explained everything perfectly. Where would be the mystique, the star power, or the elusiveness that makes Lana what she is? You completely don't understand who and what she is as an artist and it makes me feel like you're mentally lazy for wanting her to spell everything out for you so you can "get" it. That's what makes me think you're just not going to last as a fan of hers. Might as well give it up now.

And I'm not saying I WANT her to release the album and vanish. But I'm merely saying she completely has the option to, just like any other artist. She isn't our barbie doll to play dress up with and to make dance and sing whenever we want to. Leave that for someone like Katy Perry who willingly puts herself in that kind of position. But the option to release something and not have to shove it into people's faces through performances and interviews IS a legitimate way to do things. Look at Prince, Kate Bush, Bjork, David Bowie... None of them feel the need to do all that. It'd be perfectly fine if they did, but they don't. I just don't understand why you have to keep pushing so hard for her to do anything other than make music. She's said before that that's what she enjoys doing: writing and making the music itself.

If you are just so fed up with the way Lana does things then I suggest you give up on her. Artists generally become even more reclusive with age, so BTD may have been the most outgoing Lana you'll ever get. Enjoy the MUSIC!!!

I don't know how anyone can respond to this because it's really all that needs to be said.

:mariah: :mariah: :mariah:

14417469274.gif

You completely don't understand who and what she is as an artist and it makes me feel like you're mentally lazy for wanting her to spell everything out for you so you can "get" it. 

I'm sorry that I bothered you with my thoughts but Wow, you gave me a good laugh. Thank you for that, it's not a small thing to make someone laugh! 

I lived the day when someone pointed out to me that I'm mentally lazy in understanding Lana's deep, abstract lyrics! But I must admit that is much more easy for me to swallow the hard truth because it's coming from a true, enlightened Lana fan! You know, maybe I misinterpreted what she said about her process that she is a visual lyricist and there's no need for any deep abstract thinking regarding her lyrics. 

But I'm ready to learn. Maybe you'll explain to me the meaning of:

“Yo we used to go break in

To the hotel, glimmer and we’d swim

Runnin' from the cops in our black bikini tops

Screaming, "Get us while we're hot. Get us while we're hot.”

“Swimming pool

Glimmering darling

White bikini off with my red nail polish

Watch me in the swimming pool

Bright blue ripples, you

Sitting sipping on your black Cristal, yeah”

“I'm in his favorite sun dress

Watchin' me get undressed

Take that body downtown

I say you're the bestest

Lean in for a big kiss

Put his favorite perfume on

Go play a video game”

Or a more abstract one:

“Elvis is my daddy, Marilyn’s my mother,

Jesus is my bestest friend.

We don’t need nobody, ‘cause we got each other,

Or at least I pretend.”

etc.

Maybe I took them at face value, but I’m eager to learn from your interpretation

You know good and damn well that you picked out some of her least ambiguous lyrics there. Much of what she writes does have an allegorical element to it...the other user is correct. Even those lyrics aren't meant to be taken at face value.. Much of BTD was very Lynchian in its criticism of modern American values. Inversely, Video Games shows her appreciation of the small things in life.

The Body Electric lyrics allude to her relationship with icons and the way in which she crafts her artistic persona. That happens to be my least favorite Lana lyric, though.

Lana needs to release some news about this album so this thread can get back on topic.

I want her to do promo as in TV & Radio because I want to hear live performances in perfect quality as I enjoy listening to her singing live.

qsVmBMd.png

You know good and damn well that you picked out some of her least ambiguous lyrics there. Much of what she writes does have an allegorical element to it...the other user is correct. Even those lyrics aren't meant to be taken at face value.. Much of BTD was very Lynchian in its criticism of modern American values. Inversely, Video Games shows her appreciation of the small things in life.

The Body Electric lyrics allude to her relationship with icons and the way in which she crafts her artistic persona. That happens to be my least favorite Lana lyric, though.

Is free to give examples of more abstract Lana thoughts. But this is a great start for me: Lynchian in its criticism of modern American values Now I'm totally :derpna3: ?

silly me. And I wanted Lana to evolve lyrically for Honeymoon...

Is free to give examples of more abstract Lana thoughts. But this is a great start for me: Lynchian in its criticism of modern American values Now I'm totally :derpna3: ?

David Lynch, the director of Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Dr, etc. Lana references him frequently in her lyrics and sound.

I'm sorry that I bothered you with my thoughts but Wow, you gave me a good laugh. Thank you for that, it's not a small thing to make someone laugh! 

I feel bad for you that whatever prison you're in, they're torturing you by forcing you to listen to music you think is stupid, and to post on message boards about that music. My prayers are with you, that you get released soon.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

yeah we actually have threads for analysing lyrics so maybe you'd prefer to take your questions there as it would be more relevant. thanks~

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg