Fluorine

Charli XCX

i actually love the cover, it’s so late 90s/early 00s DJ musician coded. her Aphex Twin moment with a pop sensibility hence the strident like green. i love it and it would be a nice twist of color in my vinyl collection. also it’s so instantly recognizable and ties into the whole party scene type of advertising in terms of visual language… i can see the vision behind it

IMG-7960.jpg

12 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

The duality of XCX kind. This must be how ancient TR angels felt about SCKR. Another holy war

When Sucker dropped I was confused because it was such a different direction from TR. I was like "....what is this sellout shit???" because I was ADDICTED (and low-key still am) to Nuclear Seasons, Cloud Aura, You, Stay Away.... and then Sucker comes in and I was just "......",

Other Angels I knew at the time felt the same. Fancy dropped and we thought it was a fun little feature to get Charli some attention, but then Sucker came after and it was like "wait hold on not this." And then like after a month it was (at least for me) "....you know, it's not that bad." I wasn't too deep into 'the culture' back then, but I had heard of folks losing their shit.

Now she's grown on me. Boom Clap, Doing It, Famous, Caught in the Middle... all good.

https://i.imgur.com/bErPX2C.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/eg66WzZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/T4h12ME.png
🎶 Art decorates space, but music decorates time 🎶

2 minutes ago, AtomicMess said:

When Sucker dropped I was confused because it was such a different direction from TR. I was like "....what is this sellout shit???" because I was ADDICTED (and low-key still am) to Nuclear Seasons, Cloud Aura, You, Stay Away.... and then Sucker comes in and I was just "......",

Other Angels I knew at the time felt the same. Fancy dropped and we thought it was a fun little feature to get Charli some attention, but then Sucker came after and it was like "wait hold on not this." And then like after a month it was (at least for me) "....you know, it's not that bad." I wasn't too deep into 'the culture' back then, but I had heard of folks losing their shit.

Now she's grown on me. Boom Clap, Doing It, Famous, Caught in the Middle... all good.

That’s crazy bc I was the opposite. I was so into TR and the mixtapes I was ready for anything she threw at us. When she started performing Breaking Up, London Queen, & Allergic to Love I was hype. Then when she toured Sucker before the album was out and previewed Need Ur Love and the title track I was hooked and so excited for the album that I could just ignore the 2 tracks I didn’t actually like (Boom Clap & Die Tonight)

16 hours ago, lonely lonely night said:

please explain it to me 💔

Charli said herself that the album is basically about not pleasing the general public but doing everything for herself (this is also why it’s a club album she always wanted to make), the cover itself fits this concept very much, the pixelization of the text also could refer to internet culture, it's ironic, there’s like layers to this!!! I could also be making all this shit up which is the most fun tbh cause it makes u *~’THINK’~*

1 minute ago, rollwithme said:

That’s crazy bc I was the opposite. I was so into TR and the mixtapes I was ready for anything she threw at us. When she started performing Breaking Up, London Queen, & Allergic to Love I was hype. Then when she toured Sucker before the album was out and previewed Need Ur Love and the title track I was hooked and so excited for the album that I could just ignore the 2 tracks I didn’t actually like (Boom Clap & Die Tonight)

I think I was wanting more of the "darker" sound from those projects at the time and then Sucker came along and it was just so BRIGHT and exuberant comparatively. Now I look back and honestly I have no shade for Sucker. 2014-2015 was around the time my music tastes really EXPLODED, so it took a moment before I fully embraced her.

Back in the 90s I was very clapped to top-level Pop names (Mariah, Madonna) and a lot of euro hits that made it across the Atlantic and got US airplay. Every so often something on MTV would perk my ears and I'd throw it into the pile, but on the whole I was pretty rigid on who and what I'd be interested in. Then in the 2000s I lurched forward a LOT and opened up to more rock, alternative, r&b, techno, trance; I was much more open to a lot of pop music from all areas, but in general I was still "silo"ing artists - if I heard an artist or a band I liked, I would fall in love with them, at that specific point in time. If they changed up their sound or their image, I would throw them in the discard pile and look for a sonic replacement.

But around the early 20-teens I started to loosen up a lot more and start rolling with artists' changes, and I started to open up and embrace a lot more smaller artists, indie artists, and flex a lot more whenever people shifted their sound. I think I'd have dipped hard on Charli if I wasn't there yet by the time Sucker popped. Same for Marina, actually. I was (and still am) a die hard EH puritan; Froot gave me whiplash worse than Sucker did, but eventually I adjusted to the temperature of the water.

https://i.imgur.com/bErPX2C.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/eg66WzZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/T4h12ME.png

3 hours ago, Cuntrol said:

Have y'all been drunk for the last, idk, 3+ yrs of Charli releases? She wizened up just like Caroline and other PCM babes that doing timezones based releases meant losing like a whole ass day of the most streams on release day/period because NZ release just = "leak" and mp3 listening for the rest of us lol. I can't even remember the last time she did that kind of drop vs global (which is like 10-11am pacific on release day ime, idk/c the other zones). Actually I think I do, singles era pre-Charli, no? Idk about that album, it leaked or whatever right before release 

Oh also someone said the "album cover" took only 30 minutes which cracked me up. Biiiitch, please, even 30 seconds would be way longer than that placeholder would take to make 💀. Also I don't know how y'all think that's the actual cover, lmfao. When has she ever dropped a cover like 4-6 months early 😵💫 let alone an upscaled MS Paint cover, that's actually insane 

Oh AND sucks to be y'all who ruined Venereal Disease by being dumb and listening to all the snippets constantly. That's on you, you knew exactly what you were doing, I saw people telling you to stop and you didn't. After tease #2 it was pretty clear it wasn't a long song, so I stopped listening to more. Fucking love the track, perfect length, amazing energy. Idk how you gays didn't learn from Good Ones' rollout, Crash in general, or all of Charli's rollout. 🤣 Fool me 4-7 times... Maybe you're the problem (but yeah this release schedule is garbage, regardless 😭. If this album comes out after June, it's basically an aggravated hate crime)

NURSEEEEE

36 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

The duality of XCX kind. This must be how ancient TR angels felt about SCKR. Another holy war

Except the two nation lived in harmony when she dropped superlove…. 

1 minute ago, Monsef said:

Except the two nation lived in harmony when she dropped superlove…. 

SOS IS IT ME OR IS THIS DANGEROUS?

KILL ME WITH YOUR TOUCH!

YOU'RE SMOKIN THROUGH MY BLOOD.

RIP - SET ME FREE (YEAH THIS IS DANGEROUS)

I CAN'T GET ENOUGHHHH

26 minutes ago, ultrabanisters said:

ill be kinda disappointed if the green cover ends up just being a placeholder... the concept is so good idec

everyone has made such a fuss about it either saying its trash or defending it with all they got, it would be kind of embarrassing if it was just a placeholder :rip: i just dont get why the photo is so damn blurry

54 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

I remember hearing Sucker first and enjoying it. I visited True Romance later-on and I enjoyed it as well, but it has less replay value for me than Sucker. Grins is one of her all time best songs though. 

Look I don't mind the plain background with lowercase text, but come on, this could have been so much better. She could have used an interesting or even custom typeface and make sure it isn't pixilated. Add in some kind of texture like marble or whatever and I would have been content, not impressed, but fine.

Just because I get it, doesn't mean I have to like it.