No shade because I don't particularly like Halsey as a person but I do have to mention that y'all need to remember that you're bringing up samples as a negative on a Lana Del Rey forum as if Born to Die (and most of Emile Haynie's production work) isn't sample driven.............

Emile samples are different though. They are mostly bits of recordings used as another instrument or to add something to the song (ex. Off to the Races). There are LOTS of songs with these kinds of samples (ex. Rihanna's Cheers). I haven't listened to Easy though, so I can't give my opinion on that, but don't try to make it feel like BTD is sample driven.

Emile samples are different though. They are mostly bits of recordings used as another instrument or to add something to the song (ex. Off to the Races). There are LOTS of songs with these kinds of samples (

Lmao you don't have to define a sample, I know what it is. Literally every song you hear on the radio has some kind of sample whether you can pick up on it or not. Theres also a lot of music that isn't so subtle with samples (Azealia Banks' BWET was literally just an album of rapping over beats dance producers had already put out). Doing that that doesn't diminish the quality of the music and clearly the sample was cleared meaning the original artist didn't have a problem with it being used. I just don't understand when people get so wound up by the term "sample" as if its a bad thing and every artist doesn't do it.

No shade because I don't particularly like Halsey as a person but I do have to mention that y'all need to remember that you're bringing up samples as a negative on a Lana Del Rey forum as if Born to Die (and most of Emile Haynie's production work) isn't sample driven.............

very true altough it was Emile himself who added the samples

this shit is stupid as fuck because all of the white music you listen to "samples" what real rappers have been doing forever

why can't you say WHITE rappers?

Anyway, I'll happily take a look at her album once it's out. :)

I'll be listening to it too, but I'm not too optimistic about it

There's a difference between an effect like the loon/"hey ya" in BTD versus using a complete chunk of an instrumental or vocal

BzhmW.png

There's a difference between an effect like the loon/"hey ya" in BTD versus using a complete chunk of an instrumental or vocal

Theres a difference but I still don't understand what the problem is? Like if she covered the song would people have been offended? The artist clearly consented to the sample and probably got production credits so what is the issue here? Like it's fine to dislike her and her music but like don't act like this isn't a common practice (Charli XCX did a whole mixtape like this. Rihanna has had numerous singles doing this, Run the World by Beyonce heavily sampled Pon De Floor by Major Lazer)

@@KillForLove would you please point me where I defined sample for you? Thank you. I just said how the BTD samples worked on the tracks. As another user pointed, there are songs like 212 where the sample is basically the whole song. Or Old Money's melody if you want to talk about Lana. That's sample driven, not Born to Die. :)

As long as the original artists that she has sampled clear her to use their work, I don't see the problem. If she can recycle bits and pieces of other works and craft some damn good pop songs, why not? As others have said here, rap artists do it all the time. Do rappers get special privileges above pop artists to do this or am I just missing something here

MkWI4Ns.png

Right here! You're welcome!

I'm laughing. You completely ignored the fact that I was talking about how the samples on Born to Die were used on those songs. I even gave examples:

Emile samples are different though [...] (ex. Off to the Races). There are LOTS of songs with these kinds of samples (ex. Rihanna's Cheers).

I mean. It's kind of obvious you know what a sample is judging by the artists you've mentioned you listen to. Why would I waste my time explaining that to you?

Anyway, I don't know why you mentioned Born to Die at first and I admit it was my fault to correct you in this thread that is not Lana Del Rey related, so I'll stop here. Also I'm not the one who started talking about samples so I don't know why I'm arguing about this lmao. I came here to talk about Halsey because like I said I actually got interested in her music besides my personal opinion on her as an artist. :)

Okay, I really don't want to judge her because Lana had to go through all of this when she first broke into the industry, literally, the same thing about how smart it was for a big label to create this anti-popstar "indie/alternative/grunge" girl was said about her and look at them now, they love her, Honeymoon was given very good critics almost everywhere, she is taken a little bit more serious now, and yes, I know Halsey and Lana are completely different artists but it's the same thing. Still, I do think there are a few things very suspicious about Halsey, the NA rip-off, the Ghost video, but this might not be her fault, maybe she's trusting the people at her label too much and they're manipulating her vision and taking her career to a wrong path, in my opinion, I don't think she's a completely manufactured product, but the label is trying to use her as they tried to do with Sky Ferreira, except that Sky was very smart, had her eyes very open and didn't let that happen, if Halsey doesn't act quickly soon she'll be at the top just for everyone to tear her apart. 

QVi1xFV.gifDrH6LWV.gif0FHXTOj.gif

omg tho guys

did you realise

that both albums start with a B :O

BADLANDS and Born to Die

Halsey is such a thiefing bitch 

like when somebody tried saying the word 'sirens' in Solitaire by Marina was inspired by Lana  :facepalm:

You play me Biggie Smalls and then, My first Nirvana song. --------- Raised on Biggie & Nirvana

Biggie and Nirvana are like the biggest clichés when it comes to music

You guys are just trying so hard to call her a Lana copy cat

lol wait for her 'fans' to drag people because she 'wrote the entire record herself' like that should even be noteworthy. Lots of artists write their own lyrics

and tbh her writing is mm , "we are the new americana, raised on biggie and nirvana" :s  "We are the new Americana / High on legal marijuana" cringe