annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

Has anyone posted about Swan Song maybe having some darker undertones? Some of the lyrics about never singing or working again and being free and going to sleep make the song sound like a suicide pact to me.

Alternatively, maybe she's suggesting she'll never sing to this guy again and that it's their swan song before she breaks up with him?

This is exactly what i was thinking! But i wanted to hush about it because nobody wants Aunt Sally to ruin the party  :hooker: but yep! totally what i interpreted as well. 

my name isn't actually Sally, it's a joke lmao!

tumblr_m7ggbemthf1r7oj7fo1_500.gif

to the always negative Debbie downers seemingly so happy that Drake will be #1-

and saying how lazy Lana is- just remember

If Drake sells 500,000 to a million, no matter how much promo anyone would do, that is the 2nd highest total of any artist in 2015.

Meaning one can do 4 times what Lana did, and still be #2 behind Drake

not to mention a mixtape isn't an lp or cd

and one has to laugh-

Drake, whose real name is not Drake nor anything to do with the name Drake, who is a rich tv star from Canada and has zero authenticity in the rap world.

Yet, no one seems to ever mention that.

(and Future's name is not Future and Weeknd's name isnot Weeknd.)

Such hypocrites.

Meanwhile Lana now has 4 Top 10's and 5 top 20's on the official billboard record book.

(and to those that say two were EPS, well they along with Drake's two #1 mixtapes count officially in the billboard record books as the same as lps.

4 top 10's.

Do folks know that the Grateful Dead only had ONE top 10 and never had a top 5 LP in their entire career.

30 to 40  to 50 years from now, Lana can still appear and play to her fans, when she is say as old as Leonard Cohen or Joni Mitchell, both of whom Lana has better chart lifetime stats already.

sick and tired of the Debbie downers attempting to spoil the party.

Ain't nothing in the world wrong with #2 or #3, and remember, how many copies of Weeknd's CD did Lana fans buy, who never in their life would have purchased one?

Congratulations Lana on your #2 or #3 album. And I bet Honeymoon goes #1 on the vinyl chart. (yes, Billboard has a Vinyl album chart.)

and it was #1 on I-Tunes, for the equivlant of a full week, between release and advance sale days).

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Sorry this will be long, I have not posted anything really about the album since it came out. Anyways, some things I've noted from the album:

I really like Freak but I don't like how the bridge/last chorus breaks the incredible dark atmosphere that is set up by the beginning of the song. The "we can dance rock music...turn blue" part also kind of does the same. I wish it had maintained the atmosphere that the snippet in the sampler did, because it was so intense. I love the moaning in the background at the very end, so sexy which is what she was going for.

So about the booklet in regards to the lyrics book that she sold on tour... for all of the Ultraviolence songs, their part in the lyric book are their respective parts in the album booklet. For Honeymoon, so far with the title track, that is not so. There is a much different photo for that page of the lyric book from the one in the album book. I wonder if she will do the rest of the Honeymoon songs in full in the tour book when it is updated. 

God Knows I Tried is one of my favorite but lord does it get repetitive at the end. :/

High By The Beach sounds very out of place to me. I feel like it was a track Lana threw on there to appease the label for a potential hit lead single. Don't get me wrong, I really really like the song, but nothing about it fits into the Honeymoon vibe, from the imagery in the song to the single cover to the video. It could have been on BTD imo with just slightly different production.

I feel like I understood what she meant by the long paragraph she wrote about the song Honeymoon when it came out. It sounds like it would fit right in with her other music (whereas the rest of the album doesn't) but also fits in with the album. I feel like it is a very nice bridge into the album, especially if you listen to all of the records in order. I still skip it when it comes on, but I see why its there and respect it artistically. 

I wish the tracklist was just slightly different. Maybe its too obvious but I feel like GKIT would have been better right before Religion or right after. I think MTWBT should have come right before Freak. I would have done: Honeymoon, TLY, MTWBT, Freak, Art Deco, The Blackest Day, Burnt Norton, GKIT, Religion, 24, Salvatore, Swan Song, DLMBM. It would have worked better on vinyl that way too with BN closing the "future" songs as well as opening the second disc and leading into the more "retro"/old and the Freak/Art Deco gaplessness being uninterrupted. Which leads me to my next bit: why is the only gapless part of the album in broken in two pieces on the vinyl  :facepalm:

I really don't like 24 or Swan Song. The quality of the album wouldn't be less without them. And if 24 was her try at a Bond song, I'm glad she didn't get it. 

The album cover has not only grown on me but tbh its kind of become my favorite one. It has so much character to it. The only bad thing is just seeing it next to the others - it looks so out of place but the album is kind of out of place from the others (in a good way) so maybe it works.

I was kind of let down by MTWBT. Its a great song but I expected more from the title and I don't really get the shadows on a girls's face image she was talking about last year. I wish there was more content related to the song. I like the weird tropical jungle atmosphere too but again, not really with the title. But that was hers to interpret and not me I guess.

I don't think Carmen and Salvatore are related. There is nothing related to them at all besides the words "Soft ice cream" which makes them as much related as "red party dress" does Cruel World and Summertime Sadness. Same with Freak and AFFA. 

Overall, I really love the album. In a few months I might even say its my favorite but time will tell. I'm so glad to see Lana so genuinely happy with it and not only that, but getting so much success with it. She seems to really have her heart in it right now and its so great to see! I can't wait to hear some of these songs live - I hope we get more than 6-7 of them. 

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

God, I love this album so much. The only two songs I find myself skipping over are Honeymoon and HBTB; I like them both but I've overplayed HBTB and Honeymoon is too somber for the mood I've been in. 

I was kind of let down by MTWBT. Its a great song but I expected more from the title and I don't really get the shadows on a girls's face image she was talking about last year. I wish there was more content related to the song. I like the weird tropical jungle atmosphere too but again, not really with the title. But that was hers to interpret and not me I guess.

The song was definitely different than what I was expecting. For some reason I thought it would be another West Coast. But honestly, the melody and instrumentals kill me. I think it's one of her best songs ever. As for the lyrics, in the interview yesterday she said that some of the tracks on this album like MTWBT are meant to be more about the mood than the lyrics. I think she cared more about the sound than the words on this one.

guyssss could the title honeymoon come from the deep relationship she had with barrie and then as soon as she cut him out of her life she started seeing fransisco. doing stuff like that is very dream like. having a dark relationship and then moving into something fun and sweet. i think she's singing about her time with barrie and her new life with fransisco and how it feels like some kind of honeymoon? 

I think so, but I got the sense from some of the songs, specifically Terrence Loves You and The Blackest Day, that she's not over Barrie. Salvatore made it sound to me like Francesco is just a temporary happy relationship and that she's only trying to enjoy the moment.

God, I love this album so much. The only two songs I find myself skipping over are Honeymoon and HBTB; I like them both but I've overplayed HBTB and Honeymoon is too somber for the mood I've been in. 

The song was definitely different than what I was expecting. For some reason I thought it would be another West Coast. But honestly, the melody and instrumentals kill me. I think it's one of her best songs ever. As for the lyrics, in the interview yesterday she said that some of the tracks on this album like MTWBT are meant to be more about the mood than the lyrics. I think she cared more about the sound than the words on this one.

Yeah I absolutely got WC vibes too. I think I fell so in love with what I thought it would be that now it's hard to let that go. But it is a good song, definitely one of the best.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

A few days after release...I think Honeymoon is simultaneously both her musical best and her most...boring.

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the record. I feel like all of the songs are beautiful melodically and are rather interesting production-wise (excluding a few tracks), and she sounds so ethereal and angelic throughout most of the album, albeit, I don't feel any sort of connection this album like I have her previous works. It's not that it's emotionless, because I think at certain moments she sounds extremely emotional, but I just personally am struggling to relate or empathise with the album as a whole. Like, the songs are amazing, but I just don't feel much of anything when I listen to the album, like I do with songs like Bel Air, Video Games, Born to Die, Ultraviolence, West Coast, Shades of Cool, Gods & Monsters, and so on. Honeymoon is almost too relaxed.

Also, the lyrics are a huge step-down compared to all of her last albums, in my opinion. What happened to the elaborate descriptions of Off to the Races, or the poetic nature of songs like Bel Air and West Coast, or the intelligent lyricism behind songs like Gods & Monsters or Dark Paradise? I miss those days. Honeymoon has pretty mediocre lyrics compared to the past, and I think Lana even knows that herself, considering she mentioned in a couple of interviews this era that she wasn't very focused on the lyrics, but more on creating interesting soundscapes. Apart from the bridge and the "dreaming away your life" lines in the title track, the lyrics are overly-simplistic and rather cliche. God Knows I Tried, Swan Song and Honeymoon all suffer from Sad Girl Chorus syndrome, where the choruses contain some of the laziest lyrics in Lana's history. Even one of my favourite tracks on the album, Salvatore, has some odd lyrics that are overly quirky ("soft ice cream", "cacciatore" anyone?) that I know a lot of people have been frustrated by. 24 is perhaps the biggest lyrical disappointment on the album.

Overall, it's a lovely album that I really do admire, but I feel like it's even more of a mood record than Ultraviolence. It's a record I'm sure I'll put on to calm myself down or when I'm feeling relaxed, but it's not an album you can play whenever, if that makes sense. Still really appreciate that Lana is putting out new material so quickly and very beautiful music as well, but I can't deny the fact that in some ways, Lana did get worse this era.

Overall, it's a lovely album that I really do admire, but I feel like it's even more of a mood record than Ultraviolence. It's a record I'm sure I'll put on to calm myself down or when I'm feeling relaxed, but it's not an album you can play whenever, if that makes sense.

I feel the same way - I can not listen to HM all of the time; especially not during daytime or when I'm working because the songs are sooo slow. But in the evening and with headphones on it's a true listening experience.