annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

The issue with freak is that it starts out so well with the first verse being stomachable but afterwards regresses into a bunch of lyrical tropes and awkward lines. Hands down "stranger than a stranger" is the worst Lana line ever. I feel like a few songs on honemoon suffer underwhelming second verses: salvatore, Art Deco, freak etc.

Β 

@@PARADIXO

Couldn't disagree more with a few lyrics you put on the worst list! "Catch me if you can working on my tan" line and the accompanying bridge/breakdown has to be one of the most perfect moments on the whole album. I also don't see any issues with the MTWBT lyrics??

To a lesser extent I don't get the inclusion of the "give me your heat...' line. Yes while hardly anything special in terms of lyrics, when you put into the context of the song, however, it has to be another one of honeymoons strongest moments.

Couldn't disagree more with a few lyrics you put on the worst list! "Catch me if you can working on my tan" line and the accompanying bridge/breakdown has to be one of the most perfect moments on the whole album. I also don't see any issues with the MTWBT lyrics??

To a lesser extent I don't get the inclusion of the "give me your heat...' line. Yes while hardly anything special in terms of lyrics, when you put into the context of the song, however, it has to be another one of honeymoons strongest moments.

Β 

Yes, "Catch me..." and "Give me..." are some of the best moments on the album, but lyrically they're just bad. That's what I meant haha. I do love those moments, especially 24's outro... it was really unexpected.

At the moment 24 is my least favourite tbh, it's like a watered down Million Dollar Man with unfathomable, nonsensical, just mere stupid lyrics... "there's only 24 hours in a day" like thanks, hun, I don't know about you, but I've known that since I was about 5Β  :whatever:

The other thing that annoys me about 24 is the "give me your diamonds" line, because it completely contradicts the theme of criticising fame/glamour and so on, which is so prominent throughout the album in basically every other song. It just feels so out of place after Religion, where she says "it never was about the money or the drugs". Idk,Β 24 just doesn't really interest me that much melodically either. like, it's a nice song but for me it's kinda just meh compared to every other track Β Β  :pft:

Β 

just so u know diamond can be drug slang for amphetamines if you'd like to think of it that way :hooker:

Worst lines on HM:

Β 

Honeymoon

"Mr. Born to lose"

"Everything you do is elusive to even your honey dew"

I like the overall meaning of the song though

Β 

Music to Watch Boys To

"Playing their guitars, only one of my toys"

"Lies can buy eternity"

"Nothing gold can stay, like love or lemonade"

Β 

High By the Beach

I can't mention a line because I do like these lyrics even though the fact that she wants to "get high by the beach" is so random :deadbanana:

Β 

Freak

"Baby, if you wanna leave come to California, be a freak like me, too"

"It all seems stranger than a stranger"

Tragic.

Β 

Art Deco

The entire chorus

"You want in, but you just can't win so you stay in the lights"

Β 

Salvatore

"Beatboxing and rapping in the summer rain"

"Catch me if you can, working on my tan"

I highly doubt this song has a meaning behind it, seriously. Just like Summertime Sadness. These are my least favorite lyrics from the record.

Β 

"There's only 24 hours, so you'd say... for most of them you pay for all the things they paid you for, my love"

"Give me your heat. Give me your diamonds. You hit that street. And my ???"

Β 

Swan Song

"Let's just get lost, that's what we want"

Β 

Best lines from HM:

Β 

Terrence Loves You

"I still got jazz when I've got those blues"

The bridge

Β 

God Knows I Tried

"I feel free when I see no one and nobody knows my name"

"On Monday they destroyed me but by Friday I'm revived"

"I've got nothing much to live for ever since I found my fame"

Β 

High By the Beach

"You could be a bad motherfucker but that don't make you a man"

Β 

Freak

"Palms reflecting in your eyes, like an endless summer"

Β 

Religion

"When I'm down on my knees, you're how I pray"

"No more cloudy days, even when the storms come, in the eye we'll stay"

Β 

The Blackest Day

"It's my favorite color and my favorite tone of song"

"I have heavy heart-strings"

"Looking for love in all the wrong places"

"I'm playing head games with you, got you where I want you"

"It's not one of those phases I'm going through"

Β 

"If you lie down with dogs, then you'll get fleas"

Β 

Swan Song

"Rushing up from the water where the ice meets"

It's not like she delivered Shakespear-like lyrics on other albums. Those are typical Lana lyrics. The only difference is that this time she didn't threw in an Americana-reference every 2 phrases. Maybe those Lana-lyrics are not as good as other Lana lyrics but cone on, it's nothing too unexpected.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

It's not like she delivered Shakespear-like lyrics on other albums. Those are typical Lana lyrics. The only difference is that this time she didn't threw in an Americana-reference every 2 phrases. Maybe those Lana-lyrics are not as good as other Lana lyrics but cone on, it's nothing too unexpected.

"there's only 24 hours in a day" is very unexpected

Mfhp.gif

"there's only 24 hours in a day" is very unexpected

The bashing of these lyrics is so f*cking stupid and childish since they make sense in the context of the lyrics. It's obvious Lana's not trying to channel Dora the explorer to teach her screaming twink fans about the hours here but to tell her lover he wastes his time with strange shit.

Yet y'all celebrate "Open up a beer

and you say get over here and play a video game" or "Now I'm off to the races, cases

of Bacardi chasers chasin' me all over town" like the second coming of Goethe.

The bashing of these lyrics is so f*cking stupid and childish since they make sense in the context of the lyrics. It's obvious Lana's not trying to channel Dora the explorer to teach her screaming twink fans about the hours here but to tell her lover he wastes his time with strange shit.

and you say get over here and play a video game" or "Now I'm off to the races, cases

IMO these lyrics are cute and better

Mfhp.gif

This. Like the whole BTD album is juvenile af

This. Like the whole BTD album is juvenile af

Agree. I liked BTD at the time but it gets old real quick. Especially when you factor in aging and maturing lol. UV, Honeymoon, and even the Paradise extension are so much better. I love the fact that Lana has matured and her music has along with her. I relate better to it so I think it is a great thing. In my opinion the more mature lyrics and song material are so much better than BTD. Lana is almost 30 and I'm totally here for it and the music that comes with it!

In my opinion the more mature lyrics and song material are so much better than BTD. Lana is almost 30 and I'm totally here for it and the music that comes with it!

What areΒ  you even talking about :rip:

What areΒ  you even talking about :rip:

Lol how they were talking about BTD lyrics being a little juvenile. I feel like UV was and even Honeymoon is more mature than back then, IMO. I'm excited to see how Lana keeps changing as she gets older. Wait she's thirty now. This was early and waking up when I posted. Either way I like that she's older it makes her more relatable to me. Honestly if you don't get what I'm saying that's fine it doesn't matter to me. We all process things in different ways. I just feel like her more recent music is more mature and more relatable for someone closer in age.

Born To Die the title song has some of her best lyrics imo.

The cliched phrases and lines make it sound like it could have been released in the 60s and become a timeless classic.Β  :toofunny:

Β 

anyways, her lyrics do sound more mature after her debut record. even though she does have some flaws in every album.

for me the most tragic line is definitely "stranger than a stranger"Β  :toofunny:

and the freak chorusΒ  :toofunny:

Β 

I can tolerate "Mr. Born To Lose" but these two...Β  :deadbanana:

and i think she somehow starts overusing "lemonade" for rhyming.

giphy.gif

And the BTD hate is back.Β  :mariah:

Never meant to do that but I just think that even though HM has it's weaknesses, it's stupid to act like Lana did lyrics which are x-times deeper before. I really like BTD and I prefer it to HM but I think it's lyrics are not really THE lyrics of the century, not even compared to HM.

No hate @@BENTLEY, I still love BTD. Do I prefer the other albums yes, but I still listen to and appreciate BTD. Just in context to the conversation the other albums, again to me, are more mature. I like all of her music though, no hate for any of it lol. Well maybe a few songs but no whole albums lol.