Sign in to follow this  
ilovetati

Honeymoon Reviews and Metascore

I'm happy with the 7.5 mark from Pitchfork, to the extent that it will affect her metacritic score, but that review is a magnificent example of why music journalism now is dead in the water. She's obviously listened to the record, at the most, twice, and has managed to miss any subtlety that is there, and has also managed to not make any attempt to engage with what Lana might be trying to express with any of the songs, beyond the endless cliches that reviewers have been pumping out since day 1 with regards to 'Americana' and 'funereal'. I wonder when the day will come that a music journalist who works for a major magazine/internet site is born, who actually takes more than three minutes to summarise what they're hearing, and understands that sometimes songs are making allusions and connections that are not only reaching back to the past six months of popular culture (or, alternatively, to the ten figures that everybody remembers from the 1960's).

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

I'm happy with the 7.5 mark from Pitchfork, to the extent that it will affect her metacritic score, but that review is a magnificent example of why music journalism now is dead in the water. She's obviously listened to the record, at the most, twice, and has managed to miss any subtlety that is there, and has also managed to not make any attempt to engage with what Lana might be trying to express with any of the songs, beyond the endless cliches that reviewers have been pumping out since day 1 with regards to 'Americana' and 'funereal'. I wonder when the day will come that a music journalist who works for a major magazine/internet site is born, who actually takes more than three minutes to summarise what they're hearing, and understands that sometimes songs are making allusions and connections that are not only reaching back to the past six months of popular culture (or, alternatively, to the ten figures that everybody remembers from the 1960's).

Agreed in general, but I also think it's interesting/informative to see how non-stans consume the record. In an ideal world everyone would be like us (lol) and understand Lana and her music and what she's trying to convey.

Sure, the same old comments and biases against her can get old, but what I've seen with most reviews this era is that people are actually understanding more where she's coming from and recognizing the music for what it is, and not critiquing the person who's behind it.