Monicker

Would Lana be as well-liked if she wasn’t attractive?

Now that litewave has joined the forum, if he writes an esoteric explanation of the music of Tool my life will be complete.

I tried listening to Tool some time ago, they are not shy about esoteric references but I don't find their music very melodious, sorry!

About Lana's beauty, I sure find her beautiful and obviously many other people do too, so I think it makes her musical expression of the feminine archetype more effective.

Watching all our friends fall in and out of Old Paul's, this is my idea of fun

Yeah, she would not be the whole world's girl now if she were ugly. But I personally would love her awesome lyrics, voice and music in general anyway.

And the wind I know it’s cold

I would still love her, I think. but would I be absolutely fucking obsessed? probably not. I'm very affected by those that "strike me visually" just like the rest of the human world

I can't imagine being a straight man. I'd fucking off myself since I wouldn't want to be alive in a world where I knew I couldn't ever have her

obviously she wouldn't be so vilified either, if she weren't so damn beautiful. her SNL performance (if there still were one) would probably have been dismissed as artfully awkward or something, rather than atrocious

ZRBNill.jpg

The answer is no

But obviously her appearance drew some negativity in the early stages of her new fame

Because her lips looked fucking fake (and not in a good way). I didn't find her attractive at all in the video games video, only unusual. I still looked into her music and fell in love, it wasn't until I found THIS picture of her online that I thought she was a looker.

1olt2g.jpg

I would like her. Her work seems to be one of the most important thing but also her history for me.

And what do u mean with "she wasn't attractive" ?

Mentally, Physically?

But I think she wouldn't be so well liked. The point is that there are many people combining the way your looks and your work.

One of the two would be attractive for some people, maybe like me, but not for all the others.

I can't imagine being a straight man. I'd fucking off myself since I wouldn't want to be alive in a world where I knew I couldn't ever have her

Hey, don't go giving me bad ideas! :suicide:

Good looks is important, but I dare to say that even if a person is not obviously beautiful,

they still can get a lot of fans, love ans support!

For example: Adele

Adele shows pop music isn't supermodel fixated, and granted Adele's voice is great and compensates her looks (which btw can sometimes be "hot"). However, Adele also sings in nostalgic R&B, which is neither too confrontational nor disturbing. Perhaps the comforting familiarity of her genre and her voice allow her to succeed (incredibly well). But what if Adele's song style (not her voice) hadn't been like that? Kate Bush may be interesting to consider. Her voice is as good as Adele's, and she's not too into obsessive love themes drawn from life experiences, so she might have written the same songs without supermodel looks. Did having those looks in her early career get her anything? Perhaps she could not have been as innovative/disturbing/challenging -- in pop music -- as she was, without them. Her physical beauty (including her voice) might have fixed mainstream attention long enough for the mainstream to appreciate the music. Or maybe her looks just allowed her to do what she wanted musically (for example, the non-commercial/avant-garde parts of Hounds of Love, although she still needed great pop songs there to succeed).

When LDR is compared to Kate Bush (which happens sometimes), I take this to mean that LDR could be challenging/disturbing and have her looks/style sugar coat things long enough to be appreciated. The sexually charged nature of LDR songs is one way she might be "challenging/disturbing". However, another more interesting way, imo (and more in line with Kate, I think), is if she allowed songs like "Axl Rose Husband" and "Hit and Run" to co-exist on the same commercial CD. Or maybe she'll think of a different way to challenge and disturb, or maybe she'll become more conventional. Waiting on pins and needles to find out what happens. 

I actually did fall for her voice. But if she were ugly.. then i probably wouldnt love her to the extent i do now, despite loving her voice.

lH7Zs6V.gif      

Hilariously enough, I never found her attractive at all before I started loving her music. Now I think she's a babe :D but I don't think she's a 'standard' beauty, there's just something about her.

Me too. I thought she just looked like any pretty woman at first but the more I got into her music, the more beautiful she appeared in my eyes.

:sluttybunny:🌧️

pop music isn't supermodel fixated

But it certainly is fixated on vocal gymnastics/runs and over-emotive singing  ;)

Kate Bush may be interesting to consider. Her voice is as good as Adele's

But Kate Bush was at her peak when people looked for something different than they do in a singer today. A singer could and did sing more "straight" back then. It was perfectly acceptable and even expected. We are amongst a mindset that equates good singing with diva type shit--overemphasizing technique and the ability to belt at the expense of emotion and nuance. Anyway, i am digressing, this is not the main point at all, but you got me thinking about this now. 

However, another more interesting way, imo (and more in line with Kate, I think), is if she allowed songs like "Axl Rose Husband" and "Hit and Run" to co-exist on the same commercial CD. 

I totally agree. I want to see this sort of thing happen so badly. 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Good looks is important, but I dare to say that even if a person is not obviously beautiful,

they still can get a lot of fans, love ans support!

For example: Adele

Are you serious? Adele is beautiful. Being overweight doesn't mean she's not beautiful.

14417469274.gif

But it certainly is fixated on vocal gymnastics/runs and over-emotive singing  ;)

We are amongst a mindset that equates good singing with diva type shit--overemphasizing technique and the ability to belt at the expense of emotion and nuance.

Yeah, it's what I call "American Idol Syndrome". And I say that, pejoratively, as someone who watches American Idol. (Though it's probably more a symptom of the affliction than the disease itself.) It's not that I mind belting or vocal acrobatics so much-- it's the fact that that's what singing has become mostly about these days, unfortunately. I'm much more interested in a singer with a really unique sounding voice. The reason I'm so into Lana is not only because she has the most gorgeous timbre I've ever heard, but also because she has multiple different timbres that she glides between so easily (though not always so smoothly live). If a singer has a voice with character and also can belt-- a rare combination (see: Adele)-- then great, but character is paramount.

What was the original subject of this thread again? Off topic, I guess, but ah fuck it, this is probably the most interesting thing there's been to discuss on this forum for days.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.