Monicker

Would Lana be as well-liked if she wasn’t attractive?

Apparently I'm a sexist that lives in a cave. Talk about getting the words all wrong. My comment about AW hair its not sexist. I look at a james bond suit and think nice suit maybe I should get one of those. A chick looks and thinks nice suit. What would she do with one of those? Same thing with AW hair. I see and think cool. A chick sees and thinks maybe she should do that to her hair. Thats was all that I meant. Nothing sexism related.

For the record I never go for the submissive type of girl. Girls who know what they want, that are smart, sure of themselves are my type of chicks.

stkRUDM.jpg

Apparently I'm a sexist that lives in a cave. Talk about getting the words all wrong. My comment about AW hair its not sexist. I look at a james bond suit and think nice suit maybe I should get one of those. A chick looks and thinks nice suit. What would she do with one of those? Same thing with AW hair. I see and think cool. A chick sees and thinks maybe she should do that to her hair. Thats was all that I meant. Nothing sexism related.

For the record I never go for the submissive type of girl. Girls who know what they want, that are smart, sure of themselves are my type of chicks.

No dude that is sexism. Your generalising an idea based on someones sex. You may not have done it intentionally, but you're reinforcing gender roles by suggesting women are more interested in hair than men ever would be or that men are more interested in suits.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

No dude that is sexism. Your generalising an idea based on someones sex. You may not have done it intentionally, but you're reinforcing gender roles by suggesting women are more interested in hair than men ever would be or that men are more interested in suits.

Great choice of name. Did you achive Ataraxia yet? I only have those type of talks drinking a beer. I will open one now and only hope you open one for yourself.

Yes I was generalising but what I said is true. I can accept the fact I was generalising you're right about that. But sexism involves discrimination and I didnt discriminate anyone. I should have said usually though. Sexism gets the same ism of racism and those ism's are an extent of what is wrong with society.

Making a general comment like I did is one thing discriminating someone who doesn't fit the general comment Is another thing. Sexism is not only making a general comment about genders but discriminating those genders in a critical not positive way which I didnt did.

stkRUDM.jpg

Great choice of name. Did you achive Ataraxia yet? I only have those type of talks drinking a beer. I will open one now and only hope you open one for yourself.

Yes I was generalising but what I said is true. I can accept the fact I was generalising you're right about that. But sexism involves discrimination and I didnt discriminate anyone. I should have said usually though. Sexism gets the same ism of racism and those ism's are an extent of what is wrong with society.

Making a general comment like I did is one thing discriminating someone who doesn't fit the general comment Is another thing. Sexism is not only making a general comment about genders but discriminating those genders in a critical not positive way which I didnt did.

I actually disagree with your definition. Sexism doesn't just involve discrimination but also stereotyping and prejudice regardless of whether the stereotype is perceived as positive, negative or neutral. However, this just seems like something we'll have to agree to disagree about, sorry if I upset you it wasn't my intention.

I actually disagree with your definition. Sexism doesn't just involve discrimination but also stereotyping and prejudice regardless of whether the stereotype is perceived as positive, negative or neutral. However, this just seems like something we'll have to agree to disagree about, sorry if I upset you it wasn't my intention.

Everything will be sexist by such standards and everyone will be sexist. Unless you' re a potato you express some sort of opinion even if is neutral or numb, when talking about genders. I know the definition you wrote is the by the book dictionary one. Its not wrong but can you say such thing is possible? When I think of sexism the word discrimination is what comes to my mind maybe its why calling me sexist bugs me so much to the point I couldnt not answer.

You didn't upset me but you must see that this cant be based on my original comment about girls liking Amy's haircut or hairdo or what is called more. Its a different conversation. I enjoy such conversations and have them often with friends. I can have them with you as much as you want if you want.

Just answer me one thing. Let's assume you are a girl. We dont know each other. You did some grocery shop. The bag is heavy for you. I see you and offer to carry your bags. Its that sexism? Kindness? Did I judge you by being a girl? Was offensive the thought that is easier for me to carry the bags? Did I for some reason offend you capacity?

stkRUDM.jpg

Everything will be sexist by such standards and everyone will be sexist. Unless you' re a potato you express some sort of opinion even if is neutral or numb, when talking about genders. I know the definition you wrote is the by the book dictionary one. Its not wrong but can you say such thing is possible? When I think of sexism the word discrimination is what comes to my mind maybe its why calling me sexist bugs me so much to the point I couldnt not answer.

You didn't upset me but you must see that this cant be based on my original comment about girls liking Amy's haircut or hairdo or what is called more. Its a different conversation. I enjoy such conversations and have them often with friends. I can have them with you as much as you want if you want.

Just answer me one thing. Let's assume you are a girl. We dont know each other. You did some grocery shop. The bag is heavy for you. I see you and offer to carry your bags. Its that sexism? Kindness? Did I judge you by being a girl? Was offensive the thought that is easier for me to carry the bags? Did I for some reason offend you capacity?

Actually it's really easy to talk about anything without being sexist. Try this, "people liked Amy Winehouse because of her hair" because gender is completely irrelevant to ones opinion. The thing about sexism though, as I see it, is that the discrimination aspect of it has to come from somewhere else right? People don't just discriminate because they can. They do it because they have a preconceived idea about something. That preconceived idea is a prejudice and that prejudice is often born out of a stereotype so it's kind of all linked as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not really sure where you're going with the shopping example. That's not a question I can answer, because I'll never know your intent or reasons for offering to do so. I think it also comes own to how you offer to carry my bags. There's a chauvinistic way of doing it and then there's the more altruistic human way of offering. Depending on how you offered would impact how I would receive your gesture.

Actually it's really easy to talk about anything without being sexist. Try this, "people liked Amy Winehouse because of her hair" because gender is completely irrelevant to ones opinion. The thing about sexism though, as I see it, is that the discrimination aspect of it has to come from somewhere else right? People don't just discriminate because they can. They do it because they have a preconceived idea about something. That preconceived idea is a prejudice and that prejudice is often born out of a stereotype so it's kind of all linked as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not really sure where you're going with the shopping example. That's not a question I can answer, because I'll never know your intent or reasons for offering to do so. I think it also comes own to how you offer to carry my bags. There's a chauvinistic way of doing it and then there's the more altruistic human way of offering. Depending on how you offered would impact how I would receive your gesture.

Lets all be genderless. Lets all dont have any preconceived idea since is a prejudice. Which basically means not think at all since any thought is conceived somehow. People discriminate mostly because they fear something that is different to them or not accetable in their mind. My example was a failed attemp to make a point in a real life commom situation when a guy's action would be based in gender.

stkRUDM.jpg

Lets all be genderless. Lets all dont have any preconceived idea since is a prejudice. Which basically means not think at all since any thought is conceived somehow. People discriminate mostly because they fear something that is different to them or not accetable in their mind. My example was a failed attemp to make a point in a real life commom situation when a guy's action would be based in gender.

:shh:  :judgingu:  me at you Gab

glgcDdT.gif

'Cause we all know this is the worst possible thing a man could be perceived as: feminine.  :defeated:

What would be a feminine men to you? What he would have to do to be see as femine guy? I dont understand . There is the obvious that is wearing girls clothes like dress and girls shoes out of the carnaval time. But i think you are talking about other thing.

stkRUDM.jpg

She would not. Her image is said to be controversial, though (I know, you can call me Captain Obvious...) but that is about things she does. If she were ugly, she would've had no chance to become a mainstream pop singer.

And the wind I know it’s cold

Name of this topic says she is well-liked and attractive. I say she isn't enough liked as she deserves, and she is attractive enough not to care if she won't be liked. People that have problems with her popularity and find something bad about her looks, are probably those that find her music irrelevant, and would rather see some supermodel or any other singer instead on top charts.

And I didn't notice so far that she puts accent on her good looks, anyone who thinks and says she got her fame that way, is being stupid or mean...as same as those who mention her family money plays major role in her success. She just happened to be blessed psychically, and gifted artistically. Maybe she should to mutilate herself, for next album, so she can check if she would be as well liked, haha? So, my answer is something like - I wouldn't know.

I think she would be even more popular if she was overweight or something and she would use it smartly - there are many celebrities who gained popularity by being proud of their weight, ugliness, etc and saying that they don't wanna look like the other good-looking celebrities. Most people find famous women with an average (or below-average) look and high self-esteem more likeable than celebrities like Lana.

I think she would be even more popular if she was overweight or something and she would use it smartly - there are many celebrities who gained popularity by being proud of their weight, ugliness, etc and saying that they don't wanna look like the other good-looking celebrities. Most people find famous women with an average (or below-average) look and high self-esteem more likeable than celebrities like Lana.

I don't believe those celebrities, or more specifically, musicians, could pull off what Lana sings about, though. Her music is sultry, she's sultry when she sings it. She sings about things no one could really sing about, can you picture Adele singing a song like Ride or Gods And Monsters? Lana's image is somewhat important to her look and does relate to her music.

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

She's pretty but she's got her faults too.  It's stupid to tear her apart physically, though.  Everyone is different and looking for some kind of universal beauty is a lost cause.  I think beauty is overblown in music and lately it's been moving a bit away from that.  Weirdness is more embraced a bit more and it can still be sexualized.  There used to be weird pop artists but they weren't really too sexual-/sensualized.  Also the weight of makeup, surgeries, wigs, etc. (of all great quality and expensive) kind of obfusicates all of this.  It's all smoke-and-mirrors after a certain level.

Also, a lot of it's perception.  Lana blantantly sings with confidence that she's hot.  People like Adele don't do that or have any interest to it seems.  Lana does or at least did.  She's undoubtedly a pretty girl in candid shots.  I think some of this comes into why people deride Barrie.  Lana and Barrie make sense to me, but people don't see Barrie as hot as Lana or something.

I think she's obviously attractive, but I don't know if I've ever felt that attracted to her outside of her music and persona created within it, to be honest.  There's certainly other pop singers I'd go for before Lana if I had the chance on looks alone, but I wouldn't miss the opportunity given the occaison.

Personally, the older I get the more I see the synthesis of personality and looks -- a very pretty girl can be instantly unattractive with a terrible personality.  And as much as people deride it ("well, I'm sure she's got a great personality!" when someone isn't attractive), personality and confidence can infinitely make someone more attractive or unattractive.

u6pq4c9.gif

I think that Lana's pretty, but I don't find her beautiful without her make-up, clothes and big hair.
I mean, when you see her normal photos taken at a street (like when she was walking with Barry in the Cobain-like clothes), she looks lovely... but not unlike your friend from university or something. Not unreal.
The sad thing is - yes, I don't think that she would get so many fans if she didn't look so beautiful in the videos and shots. I know that huge part of her fanbase is rather shallow (at least where I live). They really overblow the "OMG, she's so hot!" angle.
This is a prime example:

41hPl98Oq7L._SX342_.jpg

I.. don't really get it, as I mentioned somewhere else.

Myself, I don't care about her looks this much. Sure, I love how she looks in the Video Games videos (and all the BTD era, to be honest), but I don't find her all that interesting in Tropico... But it doesn't matter to me as long as she makes interesting music.

i am nothing and should be everything