Sign in to follow this  
PARADIXO

Reasons Why Honeymoon Is a Great Album

Reasons why I think it isn't:

1. Most of the songs sound uninspired and rushed, some even rushed in terms of production. High By the Beach being the epitome of everything that's wrong with the album. Most of the time it comes of as tuneless and nothing really stands out due to the over-cohesiveness of it all.

2. Songs like God Knows I Tried, 24, Swan Song, Honeymoon, Terrence Loves You just lack the oomph Lana usually has with her songs. The melodies are not striking enough and the repetitive and monotonous production just doesn't help. There are no instant standouts that live up to some of her signature songs or the best songs from her previous records.

3. HOWEVER, it's still one of the best albums from 2015 and I do listen to it a lot because I stan her but it's clearly her worst and most disappointing effort so far. It's definitely cohesive and it works well as a body of work but overall it just seems like she wasn't really into it.

Sorry, if I'm being a Debbie Downer here. I do like the album but I refuse to see it being anywhere near BTD, P & UV. I also think that this thread wouldn't be necessary if a lot of people didn't feel the way I do.

:rip:

Reasons why I think it isn't:

1. Most of the songs sound uninspired and rushed, some even rushed in terms of production. High By the Beach being the epitome of everything that's wrong with the album. Most of the time it comes of as tuneless and nothing really stands out due to the over-cohesiveness of it all.

2. Songs like God Knows I Tried, 24, Swan Song, Honeymoon, Terrence Loves You just lack the oomph Lana usually has with her songs. The melodies are not striking enough and the repetitive and monotonous production just doesn't help. There are no instant standouts that live up to some of her signature songs or the best songs from her previous records.

3. HOWEVER, it's still one of the best albums from 2015 and I do listen to it a lot because I stan her but it's clearly her worst and most disappointing effort so far. It's definitely cohesive and it works well as a body of work but overall it just seems like she wasn't really into it.

Sorry, if I'm being a Debbie Downer here. I do like the album but I refuse to see it being anywhere near BTD, P & UV. I also think that this thread wouldn't be necessary if a lot of people didn't feel the way I do.

Putting this on a thread named "Reasons WHY Honeymoon IS a great album" is pretty ironic. Don't you think? 7QyFJm4.gif

giphy.gif

HM satisfies my general and specific criteria for greatness, but for somebody that doesn't think HM, TBD, SS to be great songs, or if songs initially perceived as poor (for me, HBTB, TLY, AD, GKIT) do not improve with time (which, for me, they did), then yeah, it's not going to seem like much of a "great" album. For me, HM's greatness comes from the seductive qualities in her voice (the famed James-Franco effect) combined with it's stripped back yet very sumptuous production. It also comes from wondering how long she can continue without repeating herself, which I don't think HM does, although I recognize some think she repeats herself quite often. One can also evaluate albums in terms of what one thinks the artist intended, which in the case of HM, is some kind of film-noirish, vocal-oriented epic (again imo), and I think she did fine wrt that goal. 

Finally, I take comfort from the fact HM pissed off some critics, that liked UV, while winning over some previous hateful ones. This indicates artists' taste for what is good and interesting in their art exceeds the critics' taste, which is exactly as it should be. 

Honeymoon is a great album because lana was happy making it. No one told her she couldn't do whatever she wanted to do, or put whatever she wanted out there. Idk about you guys but if lana is happy then Im happy. 

lilkimxchapelle.png

tumblr_inline_ml88it2Ue21qz4rgp.gif

Love ya Amit, and High By the Beach is my jam, but it isn't awsome quality-wise. Terrible lyrics (but it has a good meaning) and the production is prooobably the worst on HM.

I could go on and on about how the entire aesthetic and execution of Honeymoon is flawless, but I think the greatness can be fully understood by experiencing the seemless transition from "Freak" into "Art Deco"

:cumming2:

Honeymoon has the worst aesthetic/execution out of all of her albums, what are you talking about? :toofunny: 

The album art and that whole photoshoot has nothing to do with the vibe of the album and fails to convey the sound or even the lyrics. It feels rushed (well Lana said it was a quick idea after all) and absolutely bland.

And don't get me started on the execution, I mean the lack of promo, the messy music videos, the uninspired aesthetic... It's fine if you think it's a great album but not because of those two reasons you mentioned

ZmJh1LG.jpg

Honeymoon has the worst aesthetic/execution out of all of her albums, what are you talking about? :toofunny:

The album art and that whole photoshoot has nothing to do with the vibe of the album and fails to convey the sound or even the lyrics. It feels rushed (well Lana said it was a quick idea after all) and absolutely bland.

And don't get me started on the execution, I mean the lack of promo, the messy music videos, the uninspired aesthetic... It's fine if you think it's a great album but not because of those two reasons you mentioned

I meant the aesthetic, execution, and overall feel of the songs themselves. The production, vocals, etc. of the songs on Honeymoon may be my favorite out of her discography. I agree, the art direction/campaign was messy.

H0bDaqU.gif

gangstaboy-  I disagree 100% about Chuck's photos. First the one in High by the Beach and then the simply the best Bus shot

In case you didn't read what I wrote a few times, first right when it was released-

Elizabeth as a real person/fan of Hollywood on a tour bus like any fan of Hollywood would be on, and her family taking a picture of Elizabeth

looking out at the houses as she passes them, and one of the houses she is passing is that of Trailblazer legend Lana Del Rey

that's my take on it

the entire album flows and the concept from the 14 songs, the 14 chapters where the 14th tells you exacty what it meant, and if you don't get it,

one needs to start with #1 and go through it again

and the message of Salvatore is so deep some who think it's simple don't realize how deep it is.

It is Trailblazer Award Winner Lana, just when you think you caught her, she walks the other way and gives you a wink and says

catch me if you can  only she will never be caught. (maybe it only became evident when Billboard gave her the single greatest honor she could get before she enters the Hall of Fame in 15 years or so), the Trailblazer award.

Soft ice cream. The others may follow but they will never catch her, and she might go round and lap them time and again.

I mean, it is so perfect.

and her voice better than ever

a true siren

every single noise is her. (Is there anyone else that can moan, grunt, gurgle hum , etc. like Lana)

and she produced it.

magic.

and don't worry, those that don't like it, the next chapter should be here shortly. (and she said its back to NYC based album).

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

gangstaboy-  I disagree 100% about Chuck's photos. First the one in High by the Beach and then the simply the best Bus shot

In case you didn't read what I wrote a few times, first right when it was released-

Elizabeth as a real person/fan of Hollywood on a tour bus like any fan of Hollywood would be on, and her family taking a picture of Elizabeth

looking out at the houses as she passes them, and one of the houses she is passing is that of Trailblazer legend Lana Del Rey

that's my take on it

the entire album flows and the concept from the 14 songs, the 14 chapters where the 14th tells you exacty what it meant, and if you don't get it,

one needs to start with #1 and go through it again

and the message of Salvatore is so deep some who think it's simple don't realize how deep it is.

It is Trailblazer Award Winner Lana, just when you think you caught her, she walks the other way and gives you a wink and says

catch me if you can  only she will never be caught. (maybe it only became evident when Billboard gave her the single greatest honor she could get before she enters the Hall of Fame in 15 years or so), the Trailblazer award.

Soft ice cream. The others may follow but they will never catch her, and she might go round and lap them time and again.

I mean, it is so perfect.

and her voice better than ever

a true siren

every single noise is her. (Is there anyone else that can moan, grunt, gurgle hum , etc. like Lana)

and she produced it.

magic.

and don't worry, those that don't like it, the next chapter should be here shortly. (and she said its back to NYC based album).

blah blah no hidden meanings or crazy theories, the pictures are there to be looked at and they're just bland and uninspired

ZmJh1LG.jpg

@@graham4anything

We're not discussing about the meaning behind the pictures, we're talking about the pics themselves. The artwork is really ugly, and Chuck is definitely a terrible photographer. Just look at her work with other artists.

And I asked you this the other day but you didn't reply, what's the so called huge meaning behind Salvatore? I want to know before the Trailblazer legend releases a masonic-inspired video for it (which will take days to understand its meaning).

I just wrote what the meaning of Salvatore was 3 posts up

ain't nobody gonna catch her, because she leads the way

it is the same meaning as Brooklyn Baby and it is in the almost same tone

Picture Sophia Loren's eyes in that classic should have been a Pulitzer Prize winning photo of her looking at Jayne Mansfield's ...

(to use an Italian example of Hollywood ever living ever lasting glamour

(someone post that shot, I have zero luck at posting images here)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Remember when Lana mentioned 'surrealist' lyricism in an interview? Salvatore is exactly one of the song like that. I like how she developed in her writing and moved on to telling us a story rather than her own feelings (she also mentioned about this in another interview prior to Honeymoon release). She has always been a great writer. People who think her lyric in this album is shallow, well they don't understand or even remotely try to understand the lyric. 

And the cover artwork itself, it's brilliant. If you don't think so, well it's what Lana wanted to incorporate with her album, i.e. another way of making her vision into life. If you don't like it, don't bash it like Lana is some dumb whore, try to keep an open mind. I personally think it's beautiful and goes very well with the soundscape. 

Remember when Lana mentioned 'surrealist' lyricism in an interview? Salvatore is exactly one of the song like that. I like how she developed in her writing and moved on to telling us a story rather than her own feelings (she also mentioned about this in another interview prior to Honeymoon release). She has always been a great writer. People who think her lyric in this album is shallow, well they don't understand or even remotely try to understand the lyric. 

And the cover artwork itself, it's brilliant. If you don't think so, well it's what Lana wanted to incorporate with her album, i.e. another way of making her vision into life. If you don't like it, don't bash it like Lana is some dumb whore, try to keep an open mind. I personally think it's beautiful and goes very well with the soundscape. 

I know you didn't post this because of me, but trust me, I read HM lyrics thousands of times and some of them have some really deep meaning (Honeymoon, Terrence Loves You, God Knows I Tried, Swan Song, The Blackest Day), some of them are more straightforward (24, High By the Beach) while the rest are simply terrible, and they don't even make sense. And the worst thing is that they're horribly written.

And the artwork has a nice meaning behind it, I like the concept, but just like I said... it's ugly (mostly because of Chuck). Also, it doesn't really reflect the album's sound... like at all.

Anyway, I made this thread because I love Honeymoon so much and I think it is her second best album. But it does have its mistakes.

HM is good I would rate it at B+ (UV was A- for me). She managed to deliver a different album from BTD and UV, despite what she said, maintaining the quality of the music and moving a little bit forward lyrically. HM has great vocals and great moments in almost every song which gives them a great replay value for me. It's a slow album but if you love Lana's vocals it's a grower    

I’m not as interested in flip-floppers