Sign in to follow this  
PARADIXO

Reasons Why Honeymoon Is a Great Album

Wasn't Ultraviolence a big disappointment initially for a lot of people who were hoping she would put out an album that sounded like BTD? It seems like Huntymoon disappointed people who wanted another UV type of album. UV is now praised by almost everyone, and I bet the same thing will happen to Honeymoon over time.

Wasn't Ultraviolence a big disappointment initially for a lot of people who were hoping she would put out an album that sounded like BTD? It seems like Huntymoon disappointed people who wanted another UV type of album. UV is now praised by almost everyone, and I bet the same thing will happen to Honeymoon over time.

Welllll people don't know how to recognize art even if it screams it on their face.

Honeymoon is her best album but they can't see it :wtf:

giphy.gif

It is, at least to you, if you're pointing this out to people with different opinion than yours. We're not saying "you have to love it", this is just a cute thread to express why we enjoy it. Not stating our opinions as facts or forcing anyone to share them.

you are right! i expressed myself wrong, sorry  :facepalm:

I'm actually surprised by how good Honeymoon is when it only took her just more than a year to release it. To be fair she doesn't tour much, and what happens with other artists/bands is that they go on tour constantly, come back have an actual rest, then start writing, because writer's block happens all the time. Lana just happened to have more inspiration than usual! Saying that she's rushed with this album is actually not right! If she is then why the sound is so much different from Ultraviolence?

Also same with her videos, she controls every aspects of her music. Producers can make a song better like the cinematography in a film, but the original idea/theme, the overall sound and vibe, it's all her! She's the one who cherry picked the producer for her songs. So saying that Rick Nowels is not as good as Dan Auerbach is a false argument. She picked the producer that can help make her vision into life, just like how she picked Anthony Mandler for Ride and Tropico..

I'm actually surprised by how good Honeymoon is when it only took her just more than a year to release it. To be fair she doesn't tour much, and what happens with other artists/bands is that they go on tour constantly, come back have an actual rest, then start writing, because writer's block happens all the time. Lana just happened to have more inspiration than usual! Saying that she's rushed with this album is actually not right! If she is then why the sound is so much different from Ultraviolence?

Also same with her videos, she controls every aspects of her music. Producers can make a song better like the cinematography in a film, but the original idea/theme, the overall sound and vibe, it's all her! She's the one who cherry picked the producer for her songs. So saying that Rick Nowels is not as good as Dan Auerbach is a false argument. She picked the producer that can help make her vision into life, just like how she picked Anthony Mandler for Ride and Tropico..

I had to check if this was actually a quote from the BIBLE! :oprah: Thank you, Honeymoon lover!

I've been listening to it today and I realized that HM has her stronger "second half", which makes it absolutely listenable from start to finish.

Born to Die, Off to the Races, Blue Jeans, Video Games, Diet Mountain Dew, National Anthem and Dark Paradise... I can listen to those but then we have Radio, Carmen (it got old), Million Dollar Man (album version is trash), This Is What Makes Us Girls (filler) and those bonus tracks :biblio: Summertime Sadness is the only good song on the second half.

Ultraviolence is my favorite album, but Fucked My Way Up to the Top absolutely ruins the mood... then Old Money makes me too sad (it brings me too many memories) and even though I like it, after experiencing FMWUTTT and OM, The Other Woman feels "off" (?). But then the album goes back to its perfection with the bonus tracks (except Is This Happiness). Also, UV came out in 2014, the worst year of my life so yeah, I can't listen to it all the time.

BUT Honeymoon's second half is GLORIOUS! The smash hit Burnt Norton ( :creep: ), Salvatore, Religion, The Blackest Day, 24!!!!! I hate Swan Song... DLMBM is cute, I like it.

I've been listening to it today and I realized that HM has her stronger "second half", which makes it absolutely listenable from start to finish.

Born to Die, Off to the Races, Blue Jeans, Video Games, Diet Mountain Dew, National Anthem and Dark Paradise... I can listen to those but then we have Radio, Carmen (it got old), Million Dollar Man (album version is trash), This Is What Makes Us Girls (filler) and those bonus tracks :biblio: Summertime Sadness is the only good song on the second half.

Ultraviolence is my favorite album, but Fucked My Way Up to the Top absolutely ruins the mood... then Old Money makes me too sad (it brings me too many memories) and even though I like it, after experiencing FMWUTTT and OM, The Other Woman feels "off" (?). But then the album goes back to its perfection with the bonus tracks (except Is This Happiness). Also, UV came out in 2014, the worst year of my life so yeah, I can't listen to it all the time.

BUT Honeymoon's second half is GLORIOUS! The smash hit Burnt Norton ( :creep: ), Salvatore, Religion, The Blackest Day, 24!!!!! I hate Swan Song... DLMBM is cute, I like it.

Although I don't agree with all of your opinions regarding individual songs (for example, I think Million Dollar Man is actually one of her best songs), I still do think you make a very great point. Honeymoon is her most stable album in the sense that every song is amazing. There isn't a single song I tend to skip (well, except for DLMBM, but that's only because I like having Swan Song end the album). I feel as if Honeymoon is strong all the way through, while all of her past albums have songs that I feel like I should be skipping. And I do agree that normally the first halves of her albums are better than the second halves. Actually, even on Honeymoon, I think the first half is my personal favourite compared to the second, but I can still appreciate the entirety of the second half, if that makes sense. 

For me, Born to Die definitely goes downhill after the first few songs, then there are only a few more songs that I can bear listening to every time. Most times, I skip about half of BTD  :toofunny:  (Part of the reason I do this might be because I've heard them a billion times so some of them have gotten old), but still I think BTD fluctuates from good to bad songs the most out of all of her albums. It has some of her absolute best songs ever in my opinion (Born to Die, Off to the Races, Blue Jeans, Million Dollar Man, Summertime Sadness, etc.) but also some of her absolute worst for me (Diet Mountain Dew, Radio, Carmen and so on). 

Ultraviolence is great the whole way through in my opinion, and much like Honeymoon, I rarely feel like skipping any tracks. Although, it's quite clear in my opinion that the first half is far superior to the second (West Coast, Ultraviolence, Brooklyn Baby, Shades of Cool, Cruel World, and so on are just perfect in my eyes, while the second half, while still being amazing, just doesn't live up to the flawlessness of the first half).

I definitely think Honeymoon is great in the sense that unlike her last few albums, it feels brilliant all the way through, and my favourite tracks are equally distributed on other end of the album, while with BTD + UV all my favourites seem to be on the first halves.

Still, all amazing albums in their own way. In fact, UV is still my favourite, but I definitely think HM is better in terms of its brilliant tracks distribution.

Yup COHESIVE that's what Honeymoon is! This album is very long, 14 tracks and over an hour but it's good every song from the start to the end. 

Born to Die was good in the public's opinion, what made her so famous, which had a lot of exceptional tracks.

But who would thought Lana would even be better with age (there's Ultraviolence and now Honeymoon)? Most of us wouldn't be able to predict this :)

The more I hear Salvatore, the more I think it is far more complicated than the simple song it appears.

I think it is quite clever in fact, and is not necessarily about a guy either.

In fact, I think there are similarities between Salvatore with Brooklyn Baby

and done in such a disarming playful way one almost overlooks it.

in fact, just as one gets close, she is far, far ahead

In fact, I am beginning to think Honeymoon is perfect. And again, perfect concept album. Even one upping the also perfect concept album Ultraviolence.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

The more I hear Salvatore, the more I think it is far more complicated than the simple song it appears.

I think it is quite clever in fact, and is not necessarily about a guy either.

In fact, I think there are similarities between Salvatore with Brooklyn Baby

and done in such a disarming playful way one almost overlooks it.

in fact, just as one gets close, she is far, far ahead

In fact, I am beginning to think Honeymoon is perfect. And again, perfect concept album. Even one upping the also perfect concept album Ultraviolence.

that song is about nothing at all imo

Honeymoon is great because it was Lana's best effort after giving us the 2nd best album of all time, Ultraviolence. Even though Honeymoon, Swan Song and 24 are (in my opinion) some of Lana's worst songs they're still better than your fav's entire discography. 

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg

@@PARADIXO-  Salvatore is indeed a very deep song about something, it just isn't evident at first and in keeping with the entire concept of the album

It is why there were no extras on Honeymoon, forcing the emphasis on all right there

The Billboard Trailblazer award puts it all into focus

A trailblazer walks alone, ahead, every so often someone attempts to catch up, and just as they are about too, voila, the trailblazer goes off into a different direction that only the trailblazer knows what's next 

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Banned member Carcass says:

"Because it's her most experimental album. She has trap beats, she has a noir film song, she has her piano ballads she loves, she has some trippy pop songs. It's not just a sad, ballad filled album, she's actually experimented with different sounds more than she has on Ultraviolence or Born To Die."

Don't want to spoil the mood but .. it's not experimental at all. Yeah she has a few influences, but that doesn't make it experimental. She stayed in her comfort zone a lot in HM.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

@@PARADIXO-  Salvatore is indeed a very deep song about something, it just isn't evident at first and in keeping with the entire concept of the album

It is why there were no extras on Honeymoon, forcing the emphasis on all right there

The Billboard Trailblazer award puts it all into focus

A trailblazer walks alone, ahead, every so often someone attempts to catch up, and just as they are about too, voila, the trailblazer goes off into a different direction that only the trailblazer knows what's next 

what is it about then?

I really don't understand anyone actually hating or bashing honeymoon.. While it its not as high paced, overproduced, and dramatic as born to die/para and not as edgy as ultraviolence, the album is still great quality, vocally good, and imo was very unique in mixing the "muddy trap vibes" with some low-key jazz stuff in there.. so far this era has kinda seemed almost as if a layed back project type thing for lana.. she didn't seem too concerned with bonus materials or marketing she just enjoyed making something she loves.. which(even if u don't like the music) deserves respect. 

Honeymoon sort of falls between the excitingness of born to die, and the edgier more alternative vibes of uv... which kinda feels awkward but.. it doesn't make the music itself any less valid. I feel like.. i sort of just wish that she had backed the album up visually a bit more .. but #typicallana

tumblr_mxk6xrLiob1r4y0tco1_500.gif Instagram: pxpi_gringo

Reasons why I think it isn't:

1. Most of the songs sound uninspired and rushed, some even rushed in terms of production. High By the Beach being the epitome of everything that's wrong with the album. Most of the time it comes of as tuneless and nothing really stands out due to the over-cohesiveness of it all.

2. Songs like God Knows I Tried, 24, Swan Song, Honeymoon, Terrence Loves You just lack the oomph Lana usually has with her songs. The melodies are not striking enough and the repetitive and monotonous production just doesn't help. There are no instant standouts that live up to some of her signature songs or the best songs from her previous records.

3. HOWEVER, it's still one of the best albums from 2015 and I do listen to it a lot because I stan her but it's clearly her worst and most disappointing effort so far. It's definitely cohesive and it works well as a body of work but overall it just seems like she wasn't really into it.

Sorry, if I'm being a Debbie Downer here. I do like the album but I refuse to see it being anywhere near BTD, P & UV. I also think that this thread wouldn't be necessary if a lot of people didn't feel the way I do.

sioeQ.jpg

Reasons why I think it isn't:

1. Most of the songs sound uninspired and rushed, some even rushed in terms of production. High By the Beach being the epitome of everything that's wrong with the album. Most of the time it comes of as tuneless and nothing really stands out due to the over-cohesiveness of it all.

2. Songs like God Knows I Tried, 24, Swan Song, Honeymoon, Terrence Loves You just lack the oomph Lana usually has with her songs. The melodies are not striking enough and the repetitive and monotonous production just doesn't help. There are no instant standouts that live up to some of her signature songs or the best songs from her previous records.

3. HOWEVER, it's still one of the best albums from 2015 and I do listen to it a lot because I stan her but it's clearly her worst and most disappointing effort so far. It's definitely cohesive and it works well as a body of work but overall it just seems like she wasn't really into it.

Sorry, if I'm being a Debbie Downer here. I do like the album but I refuse to see it being anywhere near BTD, P & UV. I also think that this thread wouldn't be necessary if a lot of people didn't feel the way I do.

FUCKIGN THANK YOU. Agree 100%. High by The Beach is one of her most terrible singles, or even the worst one that comes from an actual album and not a movie OST.

i am nothing and should be everything