Sign in to follow this  
PARADIXO

Reasons Why Honeymoon Is a Great Album

giphy.gif

Given the constant hate this masterpiece is getting only on this forum, we're here to DEFEND it!

@@godknowsitried says:

"Honeymoon is great cause it has variety of sounds and it delivers something different. Like, Lana is having more fun and trying different things. It's her best album melodically"

@@REALiTi says:

"Lana delivers some of her most iconic lyrics like the erotic metaphors from Religion (insert bj line) or the blackest day (insert after chorus) or the astonishing surrealistic lines from honeymoon, God Knows I tried, Terrence Loves You"

@ says:

"I like Honeymoon because I don't care about the haters"

@@320kbps says:

"it's great bc it's really diverse"

Banned member Carcass says:

"Because it's her most experimental album. She has trap beats, she has a noir film song, she has her piano ballads she loves, she has some trippy pop songs. It's not just a sad, ballad filled album, she's actually experimented with different sounds more than she has on Ultraviolence or Born To Die."

@ says:

"She finds a balance between to very different styles and incorporates them"

@@annedauphine says:

"I love how the melodies are influenced by jazz and gospel etc but definitely actual, I love the theme of the record, the trap influences contrasting, I love what it makes me think of. also Salvatore is just plain motherfucking orgasmic but yeah
Honeymoon is the perfect balance describing the end of a relationship, it's the exact moment before realizing it won't happen in the end
it's perfect because it describes the happiness that's still there but knowing that it's doomed I just love it so much. and musically the influences it draws from are all a) relevant and adding to each other and b) contrasting in a very actual way"

@ says:

"it has more upbeat sounding songs than UV"

@@naachoboy says:

"Even tho Lana didnt leave her comfort zone that much with Honeymoon, you can still hear the progression and maturity in her, with her approach to certain topics , her songwriting, her production and her singing which is the best on this record, i hope she keeps improving for the next ones and finding more qualities in her and things to write about"

@PARADIXO says:

"It's amazing because it's lighter, more minimal-sounding and it's still great. Also, in my ears, it's really ambitious because of the mixture of genres and styles, it goes from a creepy ballad like the title track to a more modern-sounding Freak to the little Italy feeling of Salvatore, and much more. She wasn't affraid of trying flutes, electronic stuff, almost-acapella stuff, etc. It's also her most confident, passionate work, and her voice is the biggest proof of that."

angry-newsman-o.gif

Share with us your love for Lana's second best album!

Lana's Honeymoon is the album with the most variety in genres and that's what I love about it. From the romantic Honeymoon, to the cinematic Music To Watch Boys To, to the 40's western-like God Knows I Tried, to the bop that is High By The Beach, Honeymoon has something everyone will enjoy. 

You can add that if you want  :kiss:  and I'm hoping by saying "second best album" you mean that UV is the first?  :brows:

2dv4k7o.jpg

Also what I love about this album is that where Ultraviolence was so rough and, yk ultraviolent and felt extremely cathartic, Honeymoon feels a lot like kind of a diary of Lana's daily life in a way, like slower because her life was calmer, happier in a way, and much more sexy. What she says in interviews about making the album, going to swim in the ocean and driving at nights and all, I can feel it when I listen to the songs and to me it's extremely exotic and desirable, this kind of slower paced rhythm is calming, and you also have the trap beats that really resonate. I don't just like this album because it was my first era, I sincerely love it. I was listening to the instrumentals yesterday and I'm completely obsessed, it's excellent music. If I didn't knew Lana's music at all and stumbled upon some of these songs, I would be crushed by the same emotion. It's a beautiful record and the fact that she's so proud of it is making me extremely happy.

ZKcaooE.png

@theeternalstars says:

Honeymoon is the perfect record for immersing yourself in Lana's musical vision. From the restrained heartbreak of Terrence Loves You to the hypnotic drone of High By The Beach, Lana expertly melds a variety of styles, genres and expressions to create a masterpiece which is timeless and so quintessentially Lana. freak is still trash tho :hooker:

fullsizeoutput-3494.png

So

My family and I just went on vacation. My grandma is a big fan of Lana. We always listen to Lana together on the plane. She heard Honeymoon in its entirety for the first time. She LOVED it. Her fave was Religion (I hope she didn't understand what Lana was saying) and she also loves God Knows I Tried. Her other favorites include Honeymoon and Salvatore. So clearly this album was a hit.

She also had me skip Florida Kilos to go back to songs from Honeymoon.

BVT4uKe.jpg   
8/1/13 . 8/2/13 . 5/16/14 . 10/4/14 . 10/11/14 . 5/30/15 . 7/28/16 . 5/20/17 . 1/11/18 . 2/11/18

So

My family and I just went on vacation. My grandma is a big fan of Lana. We always listen to Lana together on the plane. She heard Honeymoon in its entirety for the first time. She LOVED it. Her fave was Religion (I hope she didn't understand what Lana was saying) and she also loves God Knows I Tried. Her other favorites include Honeymoon and Salvatore. So clearly this album was a hit.

So beautiful! That shows the maturity of the record. Born to Die on its entirety is only for 15 yr olds :rip:

Honeymoon is a religious experience with those gapless outros/intros. Most noticeable on "Freak" / "Art Deco", "God Knows I Tried", the closer we've gotten to a cover of Nancy Sinatra's Bang Bang rendition, also merges its cricket sounds with "High by the Beach"'s helicopter intro, same with the latter and Freak. "Religion" and "Salvatore" are meant to be played together, when Religion's drum - reminiscent of Playing Dangerous, in my opinion - slowly stops in order to let us enjoy Honeymoon's best track (just behind Burnt Norton, Lana's overall best song :illuminataylor: ), Salvatore. The flow between violin-driven "Honeymoon" and long-awaited "Music to Watch Boys to", and "Burnt Norton" as a transition between the two halves of the album are also worth mentioning. And don't forget the last four songs. "The Blackest Day" serves as the longest track on the album at 6 minutes, but its length almost go unnoticed because Del Rey fixed the error she had with her previous +6 minutes track, Cruel World, which was a bit repetitive. Now she wrote a track with various sections that doesn't drag itself longer than desired. Cinematic "24" marks the return of her big productions, with an unexpected outro that could easily be an album highlight. "Swan Song" brings us classic Lana Del Rey, with a death-allusive title and orchestral production, strategically placed as penultimate track even though its title and themes suit as an ending type of track. Lana has mentioned multiple times she likes to close her albums with a jazz cover, this time Nina Simone's "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" being the chosen song. While the Honeymoon story ends at Swan Song, Del Rey's rendition is like the album's credits. It work as the songs that appear at the end of a movie.

Also, the Honeymoon era brought us LanaBoards history:

christina.gif

Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood.

Just a side-note: why do people keep forgetting that the singer herself said HM would be a continuation from UV? meaning the same content, aesthetically, musically, cinematically, mathematically, etc 

[...]

Beautiful, my fellow Honeymoon lover :poordat: Christina and Honeymoon are definitely misunderstood here

Just a side-note: why do people keep forgetting that the singer herself said HM would be a continuation from UV? meaning the same content, aesthetically, musically, cinematically, mathematically, etc 

No, she said that when she started to work on the record but it ended up being a full length album. Also, she said it was "very different" from UV. Anyway, your HM love is WELCOME! :oprah:

The ethereal, gorgeously woozy title track "Honeymoon" leads us on a 65-minute blissfully opulent adventure. Del Rey's powerful yet subtle vocals make a seamless transition to the drastically different "Music To Watch Boys To", which starts with beautiful acapella singing and leads us into the pretty, yet disastrous life of a beautiful, man-loving woman. From there, we're introduced to the hypnotic, jazzy, and tragic "Terrence Loves You", which is a throw-back to 2012's "Blue Jeans", a mournful tale of loss and remembrance. "God Knows I Tried" paints a messy but subtly romantic portrait of a depressed socialite, with stellar vocals and unique instrumentals. The trap-beats on "High by the Beach" promise hours of radio play and closes with the powerful "Everyone can start again, not through love, but through revenge." "Freak" is a throwback to hit "Ride", a unique tale of Californian glamor with a loved guy. The most differing track, the unforgettable "Art Deco", documents the life of an empty party girl through impeccable trip-hop beats. "Religion" is a beautifully written, darkly romantic track, with powerful vocals, which melts perfectly into the dreamy, brilliant, operatic "Salvatore". "The Blackest Day" beguiles the listener with melodic tales of blue nail polish, firearms and vehicles, all into a 6-minute song that is tragic, soft, and strong all at once. "24" shows off her vocal abilities with subdued instrumentals for a Bond-song feeling. My personal favorite, "Swan Song", is thematically similar to "Freak", but at the opposite end at the spectrum vocally and instrumentally, with a similarly operatic feel as in "Salvatore", with significantly less mention of frozen treats. With the line "I will never sing again", she strikes fear into the hearts of her fans; however, the songstress has confirmed that she will in fact keep singing, meaning this is a beautiful metaphor for her infatuation with a man. "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" is a great cover of the classic Nina Simone, and a perfect way to close the masterpiece.