SugarVenom

Ride Headdress Controversey

I'm waiting for this whole thing to blow over. I feel bad for all the attacks Lana is now getting over this. Also, I can't even reblog a picture from the Ride video without a Tumblr anon messaging me "What she did was horrible" etc. etc. It's just getting so out of hand. Time can not move fast enough to move on from this whole issue.

Ew if she ever owned trying to cause controversy/put down others because of this I'd be done tbh. (Although, as someone here once stated there has been something scandalous in each of her videos)

Correct me if I'm wrong but Greeks+Americans never had any major tiffs.. right? lol I could be wrong. However, Americans slaughtered Native Americans, raped and stole from them. In a way, it's like we're trying to steal their culture now too by making what comprises of it a joke/trendy. We aren't entitled to that.

Greeks have been raped and inslaved by the Turks. But that isn't relevant.

My point being, is if she were to represent a culture/race/ethnicity/nationality in her videos, those cultures/races/ethnicities/nationalities should be proud.

I don't think her wearing a head dress was inapproriate. I wrote a paper on Native Americans back in high school and saw documentaries and I see how they are offended by the head dress.

But it's not like she was mocking them!

Jesus Christ save us all from this madness.

But by me replying to this shit, I'm making it seem like a big deal.

So I'm done.

Fin.

I can't be with the man I love,

I can't be if he treats me rough.

tumblr_mbseajROmO1qb9tu7o1_500.gif

Yes, it's insensitive to Native Americans because it's an exploited people's culture being appropriated by a person from the culture that exploited it.

But you guys are all missing the real controversy. Do you see how many fucking feathers are in that thing? How many birds were killed making that? Come on, Lana, I thought we were birds of a feather. :(

And to think I held up that tire swing for her the whole shoot with just my beak.

#SerialKiller

A bad sample, repeated often with unwarranted glee.

Yes, it's insensitive to Native Americans because it's an exploited people's culture being appropriated by a person from the culture that exploited it.

For a birdbrain, he makes a decent point.

"I've got my headdress on tonight, dancing in the desert in the pale firelight..." - Lana Del RaciallyInsensitive

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

"I've got my headdress on tonight, dancing in the desert in the pale firelight..." - Lana Del RaciallyInsensitive

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

"Done my hair up real big, tribal king style. I know if I hunt, won't go hungry tonight..." - Lana Del RaciallyInsensitive

:teehee:

14417469274.gif

i don't mean to be harsh in anyway but get the fuck over it, ​she wore a headdress which was personal to her in a music video, regardless of the origin of it she did not make a mockery of it. smh.

Hey, i don't mean to do _____ but i'm going to go right ahead and do it!

How about you stop arrogantly insisting on what people should feel and think, eh? Your dismissive attitude is exactly the problem surrounding these sort of issues. Of course it's the prevalent stance taken by the dominant, oppressive group. "Regardless of the origin"--again you're only helping to pinpoint the problematic mentality here.

Also, what the hell does it matter that it's a music video? You think that exempts anything?

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Guest Maru the Cat

I've tried to stay out of posting in this thread for the sake of my sanity but oh god, this is too good :lmao:

^Oh the irony!... this is ironic right?

since you and others seem to be thrusting your opinion on everyone else who don't share it, i have not "insisted" my opinion on anyone else, i've just stated what i think. I'm sick and tired of people complaining, spitefully criticising and nit picking at everything Lana does, she wore a headdress, it's not much simpler said, a headdress. There was no controversial background meaning to it, she didn't wear the headdress to mock the n.americans/indians she wore it because it meant something to her, she has a right to wear one if she chooses to and it looked good. So instead of making an argument out of it, and indicating faults, ENJOY THE VIDEO and stop ruining it for others.

"Of course it's the prevalent stance taken by the dominant, oppressive group." LOOOOL what are you on, take a chill pill, relax, smile, unlike you i'm not dismissing your opinion because it's not the same as mine (everyone is entitled to one) like seriously

LANA WORE A HEADDRESS IN A MUSIC VIDEO, there is NO CONTROVERSIAL MEANING - it looked pretty. :omfg:

I was commenting on you telling people what they should think and feel, not that you should think like me or others. There is a distinct difference there. I can’t speak for everyone, but from what i recall reading throughout all these threads, people in opposition to your view have been attempting to explain why and how it might be seen as offensive and inappropriate, not arguing that people should just blindly agree that it is offensive and inappropriate. Again, a distinct difference. You say you haven’t been insistent with your opinion? What is “get the fuck over it” then? Just stating what you think, huh? The only person who really sounds spiteful here is you, and you’ve quite come across as an aggressive dick. Because you’re sick and tired of some of Lana Del Rey’s actions being called into question (not "everything she does" you exaggerator), you’re going to slam your fist down and tell people to cease any discussion? Who do you think you are? You also have eleven fucking posts here, yet you're audacious enough to command the entirety of the forum to stop talking about something?

It seems futile to address the rest of your response because you’ve proven again that the point of this whole issue continues to elude you. Sure, there is no controversy because you see none. The great arbiter of cultural appropriation has spoken, folks.

EDIT: You also showed up with your vitriol after a string of joke posts.

I see the controversy but... let me remind you that she not only played a Native American but also a prostitute. You know what the two have in common? They were both fucked. Hope that explains the meaning!

Watching all our friends fall in and out of Old Paul's, this is my idea of fun

^ Someone hacked litewave's account!

Actually, i was going to ask you earlier if you have any thoughts on the biker group being all in black and that lone, older man wearing white. I was thinking about how differently society would view the bikers and that man, just on surface appearances alone, and yet they both seem to play the same role for Lana's character, providing her with the same sense of support and comfort.

^ Someone hacked litewave's account!

Actually, i was going to ask you earlier if you have any thoughts on the biker group being all in black and that lone, older man wearing white. I was thinking about how differently society would view the bikers and that man, just on surface appearances alone, and yet they both seem to play the same role for Lana's character, providing her with the same sense of support and comfort.

They all struck me as tough men, while she was fragile. That older guy wasn't wild though, maybe because of age. You may have a point about his white clothes.

Watching all our friends fall in and out of Old Paul's, this is my idea of fun

Fair enough. I still vehemently disagree with some of your points, but there seems to be a lot of language inflation in this whole discussion, and i like your sass.

Ha, i obviously meant elude, not allude. :embarrassed:

I see the controversy but... let me remind you that she not only played a Native American but also a prostitute. You know what the two have in common? They were both fucked. Hope that explains the meaning!

I actually didn't view her as being a prostitute to be honest. I saw it more as she was their "pretty little object" that we stereotypically believe all biker groups to have. The girl that they all had and all loved who they take around with them but genuinely adore. I think what solidified that most for me was the scene with the guy brushing her hair. Brushing someone's hair is typically an affectionate perhaps even paternal sign, neither of which I associate with prostitution.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

I actually didn't view her as being a prostitute to be honest. I saw it more as she was their "pretty little object" that we stereotypically believe all biker groups to have. The girl that they all had and all loved who they take around with them but genuinely adore. I think what solidified that most for me was the scene with the guy brushing her hair. Brushing someone's hair is typically an affectionate perhaps even paternal sign, neither of which I associate with prostitution.

Isn't that called a "biker mama"? Or something like that? I remember hearing it once while browsing through the Billy Jack movies.

For a birdbrain, he makes a decent point.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

"Done my hair up real big, tribal king style. I know if I hunt, won't go hungry tonight..." - Lana Del RaciallyInsensitive

:teehee:

I really want to continue this but don't want to be racially insensitive myself :eek:

Isn't that called a "biker mama"? Or something like that? I remember hearing it once while browsing through the Billy Jack movies.

I've heard that too so I think so, yeah.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg