BENTLEY

Happy birthday Honeymoon

I really don't get how people can say that Honeymoon was rushed - it's clearly the album with the best production! If you wanna know more reasons why Honeymoon is amazing check out @Art Deco 's blog post about it :oprah:

it is such an amazing and beautiful album. My favorite part of it is how she experimented with the trap sounds in high by the beach and freak. Sometimes when I listen to it from the beginning to the end I actually feel like I'm on an actual honeymoon and that's the beauty of it.

EDIT: I remember first hearing high by the beach and coincidentally I was really into trap music at the time

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m

honeymoon means so much to me... when it first came out I was recovering from one of the most difficult periods in my life. I spent a lot of time taking long walks and listening to the album from start to finish. it was very restorative and transformative. even though the things that were going on in my life are not the subjects of the songs, it still felt like the album was supposed to be with me at that time. if i could bake an album a cake i would! :)

tumblr_oz83mp1hxO1wc2gv3o1_500.png

I'm so happy that it's (almost) been a year since Honeymoon! This album made me the happiest person ever over the year. It's helped me in so many ways, and I can't even explain it. All of the songs hold a special place in my heart, and I get happy every time I listen, or think about it. Some of her best songs are on this album, and although the visuals lacked, they were still amazing! 

Happy Birthday Honeymoon, and thanks for all the special moments. :heart:

EDIT: I just looked through my boxset and It reminded me how good the shoot for the album was. 

SizzlingThornyIndigobunting-size_restric

I love this album so much. I can't imagine my life without the songs Religion, God Knows I Tried, Salvatore, The Blackest Day in it. I just listen to them so much, but this album has so many highlights. Terrence Loves You is absolutely beautiful with a carreer-defining bridge, and Swan Song is very different. This album might not be her best but it's still pretty damn good.

Honeymoon isn't a bad album but it is difficult to listen to all the way through it feels more like a task than and enjoyable listen. And also visuals are so important to me, and they were really subpar throughout the whole Honeymoon album rollout. My favourites are Honeymoon, Swan Song and God Knows I Tried. I think Honeymoon is one of her best songs ever but I do hope there is more variety in the production of the next album because I think everybody can agree that was the main low point of Honeymoon.

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I was going to make a special thread for it tomorrow, but whatever, here you go :)

12135257_890982010996406_933765971_n.jpg

Lana Del Rey poses proudly with her Honeymoon LP.

One year ago, Lana Del Rey released her third major-label studio album Honeymoon, a record widely acclaimed by music critics but absolutely polarizing for her loyal fanbase. Announced 8 months prior its release, Honeymoon’s low-budget but interactive promo campaign consisted of an Instagram account exclusively made for news about the album, a hotline, digital singles and a Jake Nava-directed visual for “High By the Beach” that became viral for a few days.

Hot summer nights, vintage strings, retro cars and Hollywood glamour – Lana Del Rey’s iconic imagery and essence is still present on Honeymoon, but just like Born to Die had its 90s trip hop and Ultraviolence rocked with psychedelic guitars, Lizzy goes on a lonely honeymoon in California accompanied by trap beats, synthesizers and colorful, “Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds”-esque lyrics. This mixture of Del Rey’s melancholic aesthetic and a more modern sound was inspired by retrofuturism.

lanaDelReyHoneymoon-101.jpg

Honeymoon has sold over 600,000 copies as of February 2016.

The oldest-sounding song, the 6-minute title track, serves as an unconventional opener featuring heavy orchestration and deep vocals. Del Rey is telling his “elusive” lover that nobody will ever love and take care of him more than her and that he should stay, but he doesn’t; our dear Lana will go on a honeymoon alone, looking for love “in all the wrong places”, driving down Wilshire Boulevard admiring the palm trees with an “endless summer”-state of mind.

Consequence of Sound said that “Del Rey is comfortable with the role she’s chosen to represent […] She’s the sad girl who can’t be cheered up, no matter how glamorous her life may be,” but for the first time in her discography, she opts for an image of a stronger, more independent woman. She doesn’t need anyone’s money, as she swears in the trap-pop anthem “High By the Beach”. She is the one in control of her lovers in songs like the exotic “Music to Watch Boys To” or the sexy, FKA twigs-like “Freak”. She finally sends a positive message as she sings over bongos, hi-hats, gentle guitars and her ever-present violins.

However, her infinite sadness, suffering and overthinking are all over the picturesque album. This deep depression, though, is expressed in a more mature and thoughtful way than Lolita metaphors; she reflects about her troubled career in the gospel-sounding “God Knows I Tried” (“I have nothing much to live for ever since I found my fame”) and feels galaxies away from her ex-boyfriend in the jazzy “Terrence Loves You” as she references David Bowie (“Ground control to Major Tom / Can you hear me all night long?”). She also plays with escapism in the romantic “Swan Song” (“Why work so hard when you could just be free?”).

Honeymoon proved to be musically ambitious with its “futureretro” and the brilliant mixture of genres – from baroque pop to trap to PBR&B to progressive folk, but it also expands its Americana aesthetic with elements of foreign music; you feel in la piccola Italia in the playful “Salvatore” and Spanish castañuelas are used in “24”, a song written for the film Spectre.

The record reaches its climax with the depressing “The Blackest Day”, an apocalyptic 6-minute track that features one of her biggest choruses ever. Its dark and mysterious lyrics tell the sad story of a triangle of love (“It’s not simple / It’s trigonometry”), a betrayal that results in (apparently) death and regret. Its top-notch, dramatic production includes alternative R&B beats, electronic synthesizers, chill post-rock guitars and progressive rock epicness; truly an incredible combination that works perfectly with the astonishing melody.

Lana Del Rey at her best for those who love artistic ambition and mind-blowing vocals, awfully boring for those who cannot stand its endless length or achingly slow tempos. Whether you consider Honeymoon to be Del Rey’s “best album” like Billboard or a “mediocre flop” like prestigious German journalist Leaked Version, the artist herself expressed her pride for her art, imagining, writing and producing every single song. That should be respected. "Oh God, please, don't let me be misunderstood."

Happy birthday Honeymoon!

Screen-Shot-2015-08-09-at-7.37.16-PM.png

:poordat:

I'm sad that I'm much less enjoying this album than a year ago, Your Band Is All The Rages feels. Salvatore is really one of the best songs ever made. I think the main reason I enjoyed it was that it was my first era but musically I can't sincerely say it's my favourite record, in terms of looks either. And it's strongly associated to a period of my life that I kinda want to forget so I don't listen to it, only some remixes :( It's super beautiful though, I'm sad I can't fully appreciate it. Maybe one day I'll get crazy about it but I just want to move on for now. I just hope Lana is still proud of what she achieved :)

I actually even forgot it was its birthday because one year ago I kissed Lana and HM is oblivion next to that

Edit: and it's crazy the impact it had on me at the time it went out, I don't really realize it because there is no visuals strong enough for me to rely on, but like I have god knows I tried tattooed etc, it just went super high super fast and incredibly low incredibly fast. But maybe it's how it supposed to me, maybe it's what the music has been designed for, it refers to a special period of time and it meant complete sense when this period happened and it's what makes it beautiful too. Happy birthday Honeymoon rest in peace

ZKcaooE.png