BENTLEY

Happy birthday Honeymoon

Happy Birthday Honeymoon

This album means so much to me, it's my favorite album of all time. I love listening to it start to end. I dont know if Lana will be able to top it somehow, I just love it so much. Plus, it was the first era I've experienced and I saw her live and met her the first time because of Honeymoon

image.png

I'm a bit torn because on the one hand, I think some of her best songs so far are from Honeymoon ("The Blackest Day", "High By The Beach", "Music To Watch Boys To", "Swan Song"), however I can't stand "Salvatore", "Freak" isn't exactly a masterpiece either and "Burnt Norton" is just... weird, and pretty useless IMO.

Also, I don't want her next album to sound the same; but I still love Honeymoon for what it is, so: Happy Birthday, Honeymoon!  :kiss:

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

And I still don't have my Honeymoon LP ): anyway, happy bday Honeymoon! thanks for all the memories from this era and from the ones I created with the songs

tumblr_onl7kjm7SV1rr0bkio3_250.gif

I was going to make a special thread for it tomorrow, but whatever, here you go :)

12135257_890982010996406_933765971_n.jpg

Lana Del Rey poses proudly with her Honeymoon LP.

One year ago, Lana Del Rey released her third major-label studio album Honeymoon, a record widely acclaimed by music critics but absolutely polarizing for her loyal fanbase. Announced 8 months prior its release, Honeymoon’s low-budget but interactive promo campaign consisted of an Instagram account exclusively made for news about the album, a hotline, digital singles and a Jake Nava-directed visual for “High By the Beach” that became viral for a few days.

Hot summer nights, vintage strings, retro cars and Hollywood glamour – Lana Del Rey’s iconic imagery and essence is still present on Honeymoon, but just like Born to Die had its 90s trip hop and Ultraviolence rocked with psychedelic guitars, Lizzy goes on a lonely honeymoon in California accompanied by trap beats, synthesizers and colorful, “Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds”-esque lyrics. This mixture of Del Rey’s melancholic aesthetic and a more modern sound was inspired by retrofuturism.

lanaDelReyHoneymoon-101.jpg

Honeymoon has sold over 600,000 copies as of February 2016.

The oldest-sounding song, the 6-minute title track, serves as an unconventional opener featuring heavy orchestration and deep vocals. Del Rey is telling his “elusive” lover that nobody will ever love and take care of him more than her and that he should stay, but he doesn’t; our dear Lana will go on a honeymoon alone, looking for love “in all the wrong places”, driving down Wilshire Boulevard admiring the palm trees with an “endless summer”-state of mind.

Consequence of Sound said that “Del Rey is comfortable with the role she’s chosen to represent […] She’s the sad girl who can’t be cheered up, no matter how glamorous her life may be,” but for the first time in her discography, she opts for an image of a stronger, more independent woman. She doesn’t need anyone’s money, as she swears in the trap-pop anthem “High By the Beach”. She is the one in control of her lovers in songs like the exotic “Music to Watch Boys To” or the sexy, FKA twigs-like “Freak”. She finally sends a positive message as she sings over bongos, hi-hats, gentle guitars and her ever-present violins.

However, her infinite sadness, suffering and overthinking are all over the picturesque album. This deep depression, though, is expressed in a more mature and thoughtful way than Lolita metaphors; she reflects about her troubled career in the gospel-sounding “God Knows I Tried” (“I have nothing much to live for ever since I found my fame”) and feels galaxies away from her ex-boyfriend in the jazzy “Terrence Loves You” as she references David Bowie (“Ground control to Major Tom / Can you hear me all night long?”). She also plays with escapism in the romantic “Swan Song” (“Why work so hard when you could just be free?”).

Honeymoon proved to be musically ambitious with its “futureretro” and the brilliant mixture of genres – from baroque pop to trap to PBR&B to progressive folk, but it also expands its Americana aesthetic with elements of foreign music; you feel in la piccola Italia in the playful “Salvatore” and Spanish castañuelas are used in “24”, a song written for the film Spectre.

The record reaches its climax with the depressing “The Blackest Day”, an apocalyptic 6-minute track that features one of her biggest choruses ever. Its dark and mysterious lyrics tell the sad story of a triangle of love (“It’s not simple / It’s trigonometry”), a betrayal that results in (apparently) death and regret. Its top-notch, dramatic production includes alternative R&B beats, electronic synthesizers, chill post-rock guitars and progressive rock epicness; truly an incredible combination that works perfectly with the astonishing melody.

Lana Del Rey at her best for those who love artistic ambition and mind-blowing vocals, awfully boring for those who cannot stand its endless length or achingly slow tempos. Whether you consider Honeymoon to be Del Rey’s “best album” like Billboard or a “mediocre flop” like prestigious German journalist Leaked Version, the artist herself expressed her pride for her art, imagining, writing and producing every single song. That should be respected. "Oh God, please, don't let me be misunderstood."

Happy birthday Honeymoon!

Screen-Shot-2015-08-09-at-7.37.16-PM.png

:poordat:

Well done :mariah:

tumblr_ow8qt6vZl01w30flno1_1280.jpg

I love playing this album with my guitar and/or piano. That's the way it should be enjoyed. Truly beautiful and soulful.

happy bday Honeymoon! thanks for all the memories from this era and from the ones I created with the songs

this exactly :oprah:

Happy Birthday HM!

It's a good album and I love her voice on it.

I omly use 4 or 6 songs off it but it was good.

The era lasted longer than UV in real life and in my universe it didn't last long maybe 2 month while UV lasted 6 or 7 months.

I'm really excited for the next album.

Songs that will never age:

Terence Loves You, High By The Beach, Salvatore, The Blackest Day & Swan Song.

Mfhp.gif

I used to really don't care about it because I think that after HBTB the songs' quality is dropping so bad, but I love the first 6 songs now. Even tho they could have polish them a lot more, they exalt such a dreamy quality, the way they produced her vocals and the layering of sounds... Lana really nailed psychedelia with this one and I hope she keeps this element in her future records coz it fits her.