Hundred Dollar Bill

SEVDALIZA

I didn't like rivers much, but about 13 songs from this 15 track album were amazing, it's so good... but i still need to adjust before i review

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

While I like the album, I have to say that - for me - it does not live up to the expectations the singles raised.

I feel like she was focussed a bit too much on being artistic, innovative and different and that made some songs become stale, even though the composition and production is beautiful.
Habibi has this heartbreakingly beautiful vibe but the stiff vocals and the overuse of autotune does not really improve it. Wallflower has this extremely intriguing percussion, yet she insists on making the song a semi-spoken chant. Gole Bi Goldoon is nice, yet totally unspectacular. And Human Nature is still the most overrated and boring artsy-fartsy-autotune songs within her discography.

None of these songs have anything on the immense power of Darkest Hour, Lamp Lady, Joanna or Oh My God. Makes me wonder even more why she decided to exclude Martyr, a vivid and passionate track that went along with the other singles so well. The only other songs on the album that really go with this energy are Shabrang, Eden and Rhode.

All Rivers At Once was a very pleasant suprise, as it really is a very new sound for her. It reminds me a slightly bit of stuff Tori Amos could have done. Dormant goes into a similar direction, although it falls off a bit during it's second half.
No Way succeeds in what Habibi and Gole Bi Goldoon try and Comet is extremely well produced, although it's obviously meant as an outro-track.

So yeah, I enjoy Shabrang, but based on the singles I expected it to be much more powerful and passionate than it turned out to be.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Shabrang is such a beautiful record!!! I think in terms of consistency, it’s a better album than ISON. But I think ISON has some higher highs & lower lows, so I don’t really know which is the better album. 

I was worried after The Calling because that EP was kinda dull tbh. She seemed stuck on that portishead percussion for a hot minute, but the sonic direction she chose for Shabrang is refreshing & totally makes sense for her career. I love it. 

14417469274.gif