Jack

Melanie Martinez

teacher's pet > drama club > show and tell > high school sweethearts > class fight > strawberry shortcake > detention > lunchbox friends > nurse's office > the principal > orange juice > wheels on the bus > recess

You put a song that says “drama” 51 times in like 3 minutes as #2? 

DGzunGqVwAEAmYu.jpg

I am pretty disappointed in the direction Melanie decided to go music-wise, it was already risky for her to keep working on an aged concept, but I thought that she might still be able to make it work if she expanded on her sound a bit. Conceptually, the whole album/movie felt dull, like it had no deeper connection to the album other than just being a continuation of CB. The album sounds like crybaby if all the creativity of the lyrics and the production of that album were stripped away. K-12, as a whole, is just bland. the songs aren't terrible, and if this was released back when I was into her, I probably would have listened to them, but that just isn't enough to keep me interested anymore. Even though I don't listen to CB anymore, I still look back at what an amazing album that was, and I can't say the same about this one. 

Some people here are excusing the mediocrity of the lyrics because it's to make them more suitable for the movie, but that's exactly what the problem is here: The fact that it's a movie reduces the quality of the music and the fact that it's an album reduces the quality of the movie. I know Melanie put a lot of effort into this and that it was a very ambitious project, and I admire that, but the bigger the project the easier it is to fuck something up.

the movie wasn't very good, but it's what you can expect from someone who isn't an experienced director or screenwriter. The visuals were beautiful though, and the choreo was pretty cute, I'll giver her that.

I have a lot of opinions  :hooker:  Here's a list of everything I would've changed in the film:

• Shorten "The Principal" (Only up to the end of the first chorus is necessary).
  • Extend Crybaby and Angelita's conversation in the tennis scene; Bring up beauty standards in Angelita's magazine as a tie-in to the "Strawberry Shortcake" sequence.
  • Delete the "Teacher's Pet" scene, putting "High School Sweethearts" after Crybaby finds the love letter.
  • Potentially shorten the "High School Sweethearts" scene, or insert clips of Crybaby distracted trying to figure out who wrote the letter.
  • Play "Recess" quietly in the background of the school dance sequence from the start and scrap the whole being-forced-to-dance element. Don't stretch the scene out to the length of the song.
  • Insert "Fire Drill". Have Crybaby sing it while confronting Leo, helping everyone escape, and eventually, instead of the dumb air-bubble thing, burning the school down.
  • Change the cliffhanger. Maybe make it that only Crybaby is eligible to join Lilith, and the choice is between that or her friends. The choice between staying or leaving originally is dumb.

Just off the top of my head  :creep:

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

You put a song that says “drama” 51 times in like 3 minutes as #2? 

DGzunGqVwAEAmYu.jpg

Should go to show how much I dislike the album :creep: I've said multiple times in here that drama club is repetitive as f***, but the first 1:30 of it is better than almost all of the album.

(Although if I were to update it, fire drill would knock drama club down one)

teacher's pet > high school sweethearts > lunchbox friends > show & tell > fire drill > wheels on the bus > detention > orange juice > the principal > class fight > drama club > strawberry shortcake > nurse's office > recess

TjRQ.gifLczfoG7.gifTjRQ.gif

1. Recess

2. Teacher's Pet

WOTB

Drama Club

S&T

Class Fight

Orange Juice

Lunchbox Friends

Nurse's Office (this is such a weird one. it sounds so flat on the album but the TV spot snippet sounded beyond amazing)

HSS

The Principal

Strawberry Shortcake

Detention

Fire Drill

1.   Orange Juice

2.   Lunchbox Friends

3.   Class Fight

4.   Strawberry Shortcake

5.   Show & Tell

6.   Teacher's Pet

7.   Nurse's Office

8.   The Principal

9.   Detention

10. Wheels On The Bus

11. Drama Club

12. Recess

13. High School Sweethearts

Here are a few notes no one asked for.

There's a lot of h8 in this thread so I've come to lighten the mood lol.

My one unpopular opinion is that I am a SLUT for some vocal distortion so Lunchbox Friends' chorus is everything I love. This also includes "for the throat" in Class Fight and "I want O.J." in Orange Juice; hence why they are my top 3.

I love her songs with more serious topics like Orange Juice, Show & Tell and Strawberry Shortcake. 

She really is a great songwriter.

The only three I didn't like are the last three but the other 10 are great!

The end. 

tumblr_ov81kxfRAq1t0t62zo1_500.gif

1. Wheels on the bus

2. Fire Drill

3. Show and Tell

4. Nurses office

5. Recess

6. Highschool sweet hearts

7. Strawberry shortcake

8. Detention

9. Classfight

10. Teachers pet