Jack

Melanie Martinez

And the essays...... the movie was good though, there are some cringe scenes but I get the whole message of the movie. Beside I don’t see that the movie is in anyway in bad quality or low budget, y’all just wanted to trash Melanie as if it’s a personality trait.

People can have opinions and sometimes opinions are negative. That's how life works. You can find it good and that's completely fine but people can dislike pOPuLAr stuff without trying to be cool or edgy. In fact most of people who are saying the movie is bad aren't complaining about the quality nor the budget but the acting and the script. The reason why people are writing essays is so we can back up our points without it just seeming like we dislike the movie for no reason. 

dNvtmdN.png

I respect Melanie's artistry but this album just doesn't come close to Cry Baby. Sonically and thematically this album is similar to Cry Baby so people are bound to compare them, it is how it is. I love that she plays characters but I hope that next time she goes for something different because if she sticks to this idea it's going to get insanely boring and I doubt it would work a 3rd time round.

Melanie's fans probably can identify the growth in her as an artist and how this album is different to Cry Baby and I understand that, but as a casual fan who just enjoys her music this doesn't particularly interest me

Also not hating but when I saw the tracklist for the first time I rolled my eyes lmao and when I started listening, Wheels on the Bus wasn't a great way to start I found the sample cringe

Drama Club, Lunchbox Friends, Orange Juice, High School Sweethearts and Recess are some of the tracks I liked

FYI I didn't watch the film but I doubt many people other than stans will watch the entire film anyway??? however I realise that watching the film will probably enhance the experience of the album a lot. But based on the album alone there aren't many standout tracks and it all blends together. Which from an artistic POV probably fits with what Melanie wanted to achieve with this album, a cohesive sounding album telling a story, but it just ends up being a bit of a boring album to listen to

I did like quite a few of the tracks and I don't think it's a bad album, it's just not amazing. I was expecting a bit more because Melanie is genuinely a great artist, and I don't think it was worth the 4 year wait. I'll probably love it after a few more listens though  :oic2:

Ok I'm over the essays lol shut up and either enjoy it or don't, nobody cares enough to sit and read your comprehensive thoughts.

That being said, Strawberry Shortcake is a banger, can't believe I didn't care for it on first listen. Listening to the leak did not do this album justice, it was just meant to be listened to in conjunction with the film which is what makes this album so cool to me - it's a fantastic concept album and I take my hat off to Melanie for caring enough about her art to constantly serve well thought out music, visuals and concepts.

FzytWEW.png

Ok I'm over the essays lol shut up and either enjoy it or don't, nobody cares enough to sit and read your comprehensive thoughts.

Forums are made for discussion...and these posts in here are super interesting.

Ooof the movie is really bad. Like they would be good seperate music videos but as a movie it fails. 

The songs are better than I expected tbh. Definitely like at least half of them. Wish she didn't use that distorted voice effect so much, I really hate it. 

this film was lowkey really awful. there were so many lose ends and things that came out of nowhere. and her political route she took was also really awful. she should have focused on one political angle and done it well rather than like fifteen really badly executed ones. omg a transgender teacher? they're being let go because they're trans? omg. wait. we never even see that character again and it's legit never brought up or tied off. okay melanie. i can't believe she did that like fifteen million times during the film too. there were so many lose ends for sub-plots in the film and things that really should have been rounded up. (side note: i was high when we watched this film so if this was actually tied up and we just didn't notice then soz)

she's damn well lucky this album has a few really good bangers. regardless i can see her fans eating this shit up despite the fact it was extremely mediocre. at least they have a couple of good songs and a whole lot of content for gifs and twitter layouts.

also the teachers pet scene...she is definitely going to "get away" with that. i've never been on the whole melanie x paedophilia bandwagon people try and drag her down with but that scene was so badly inexcusable and tasteless.

the film looks stunning, has some amazing song moments but damn, it truly fails in most other aspects. and it's a shame because we would joke before watching it that it was going to be a bad film but we didn't ACTUALLY expect it to be as bad as it was. also, WHERE did she get the budget for this? i'll give her that she at least pulls through when she says she going to do something ambitious, but she's definitely not a good film writer at all.

okay, but why are you talking about the movie as if it was meant to be good and not just a companion to the album?

i'm approximately 100% sure the film wasn't intended to be bad just for the sake of being a companion concept for an album. she did not blow a million dollars on this just for the sake of it being throw away.

she put a lot of effort into this and it's bad. the album itself isn't even that great either. she clearly wrote the songs around the idea of a musical and it wasn't successful.

this film was lowkey really awful. there were so many lose ends and things that came out of nowhere. and her political route she took was also really awful. she should have focused on one political angle and done it well rather than like fifteen really badly executed ones. omg a transgender teacher? they're being let go because they're trans? omg. wait. we never even see that character again and it's legit never brought up or tied off. okay melanie. i can't believe she did that like fifteen million times during the film too. there were so many lose ends for sub-plots in the film and things that really should have been rounded up. (side note: i was high when we watched this film so if this was actually tied up and we just didn't notice then soz)

she's damn well lucky this album has a few really good bangers. regardless i can see her fans eating this shit up despite the fact it was extremely mediocre. at least they have a couple of good songs and a whole lot of content for gifs and twitter layouts.

also the teachers pet scene...she is definitely going to "get away" with that. i've never been on the whole melanie x paedophilia bandwagon people try and drag her down with but that scene was so badly inexcusable and tasteless.

the film looks stunning, has some amazing song moments but damn, it truly fails in most other aspects. and it's a shame because we would joke before watching it that it was going to be a bad film but we didn't ACTUALLY expect it to be as bad as it was. also, WHERE did she get the budget for this? i'll give her that she at least pulls through when she says she going to do something ambitious, but she's definitely not a good film writer at all.

Her label financed the whole thing. It cost 6 million dollars. There are many loose ends because originally the project was more fleshed out but she had to keep cutting things and taking things out due to budget constraints so she only made the parts that were absolutely necessary to be included in order to fulfill her vision.

She talked about it here:

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/melanie-martinez-movie-k-12-budget-atlantic-records-1203323613/

taste

Ok so I don't think that K-12 is 100% L+F cause, unlike Marina, Melanie put a LOT of effort into it, she had a clear vision and she really delivered a bomb ass era. The album is definitely lowkey compared to CB, it's very bland but it belongs to a greater project and I can respect that

IMO she should've dropped the idea of the album altogether and deliver a musical which would've made the production more interesting and the songs fewer but certainly better. Also, how unique would that have been?

If you think about she could've employed a wider range of voices and made the whole thing more interesting plus, at the same time, excuse all those cringey one-liners which in a musical setting would've kinda made more sense