Jack

Melanie Martinez

Did anyone ever actually say that K-12 is too much like Cry baby? I've been reading the opposite from the very beginning

yeah i’ve read people on twitter complaining about how k-12 was too similar to cry baby and how she didn’t evolve her sound but kept the same themes and stuff like that. but then apparently cry baby’s outtakes would’ve been a better choice for a second album...tragic

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

yeah i’ve read people on twitter complaining about how k-12 was too similar to cry baby and how she didn’t evolve her sound but kept the same themes and stuff like that. but then apparently cry baby’s outtakes would’ve been a better choice for a second album...tragic

I mean if you actually use your critical thinking skills to think beyond the surface it is very obvious why people think that...nothing tragic about it. It makes sense.

I think the CB outtakes had a better sound than K-12 (and lyrics) but it obviously wouldn't have worked in the theme as she discarded of them long before. 

But it's tragic how mel has kept much of her best work unreleased!

I mean if you actually use your critical thinking skills to think beyond the surface it is very obvious why people think that...nothing tragic about it. It makes sense.

It is tragic. Complaining about something and the wanting the same exact thing right after. It doesn’t make sense. That’s what i’m trying to say.

Interesting opinions - I loved CB and thought each song was pretty unique/remarkable even though they were all under one cohesive theme. For K-12, though I adore its visual art concept and film, the track list sounds too similar to me, as in they're not easily distinguishable and come off as one long song instead. So then it seems like an outtake from CB would have still fit the theme but with a differing sound. Otherwise, this album sounds like more of a lackluster CB, if that makes sense. It's fine though, the art is stunning and hopefully next time the tracks will be more varied. I know she's making another film for the next album, so I'm looking forward to how that'll play out :)

It is tragic. Complaining about something and the wanting the same exact thing right after. It doesn’t make sense. That’s what i’m trying to say.

It does make sense. A song can sound like another song but still won’t be as good. I don’t think K-12 sounds that much like Crybaby though, but I do think the Crybaby outtakes are far better than the K-12 songs. Crybabies just get bitter whenever someone has the slightest bit of criticism about Melanie’s new music.

qfrWuBl.png

It does make sense. A song can sound like another song but still won’t be as good. I don’t think K-12 sounds that much like Crybaby though, but I do think the Crybaby outtakes are far better than the K-12 songs. Crybabies just get bitter whenever someone has the slightest bit of criticism about Melanie’s new music.

absolutely not? i'm not bitter, i just don't get how can someone criticize melanie about how she didn't evolve her sound but then wanting her to release an old ass song with the exact same sound you want her to evolve from. that's all! i'm not complaining about criticism in general, you can have your opinions.

maybe i'm not expressing myself well enough, maybe my point is just dumb, whatever i guess. 

the use of powers in K-12 is too much and unnecessary imo... I liked when they were just casual like in Cry Baby but now it seems like everytime Crybaby gets in some sort of trouble boom, black eyes and suddenly all the villains are dead and gone

also what was the point of the ghosts??

Okay, updated feelings! I was honestly expecting more from this era considering the wait, something way more hipster (like reflecting her new look with the 70's vibes and glasses and stuff) dark, and more mature. The visuals are beautiful in the movie but the movie is ehhh, but I wasn't really expecting much from the movie anyways. The music (expect a select few) falls very flat for me, nothing made me go "OMG!!" like i was expecting. Cry Baby is so iconic and everything feels so different with that album compared to this one, BUT thats probably because I was so much younger when it came out and I thought her concept was so awesome, edgy, and new! I almost feel like I'm too old to be listening to it now? Kinda just bland for me at this point, still enjoying listening sometimes though!

it was leaked by the same person who leaked one of the snippets with vocals

can you link me to the snippet with the vocals?