Jack

Melanie Martinez

Mel saying that K-12 has a more mature sound is the total opposite to what I hear. Just because the character is supposed to be more mature, doesn't mean the lyrics and production are.

Sorry, i really can't get my head around this.

What a weird thing of her to say  :rip:  Her music's maturity has been on a decline since Dollhouse EP

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

think they meant the EP

I mean still... she came out with 17 tracks on CB and they’re all largely better than K-12

Dollhouse is her fist official project so of course it’s gonna be less mature than K-12, but songs like Tag You’re It, Pacify Her, Mrs Potato Head, Cake, etc... K-12 can’t relate

For me K-12 overall is better, but Cry Baby has the career highlights. No song from K-12 can match Pacify Her, Tag Your It, Sippy Cup, Cookies and Milk, Soap or Training Wheels. But K-12 doesn't have a really bad song that Cry Baby had imo.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3260-1375807715-35.

For me K-12 overall is better, but Cry Baby has the career highlights. No song from K-12 can match Pacify Her, Tag Your It, Sippy Cup, Cookies and Milk, Soap or Training Wheels. But K-12 doesn't have a really bad song that Cry Baby had imo.

Which are the bad songs on crybaby for you?

CB doesn’t have bad songs either, there are kind weak songs but there also weak songs on K-12, with the exception that K-12 can’t compare to the number of highlights

Also, CB clutter is so good too

Like, that whole era was pure gold

Cry Baby was such a better album. every song stood out and told it own story

on K-12, all the songs mesh and for the first few listens couldnt tell one song apart from the other. all the beats and melodies are too similar.

songs like Drama Club and Orange Juice are such fillers. Cry Baby didn't have a single filler

also disappointed to how the movie takes place in one day. i thought it was literally about her going from kindergarten to senior year ??

the songs on K-12 that DONT follow the "narrative" are literally my favs... Show & Tell and Strawberry Shortcake prove that she could do an album without the Cry Baby character and still SLAY

Strawberry Shortcake is lowkey my least favorite song on the record sksks; the lyrics are awk, the beat is meh, etc.

But I agree about the Cry Baby thing. I think her storyline ended on the first album (with her self-acceptance arc), and I think Melanie believed that as well, at least until she changed it to be about the discovery of her black eye powers for the Mad Hatter video and scrapped the original K-12 concept of the character only being a narrator / POV. And I'm not sure I'm that hyped about seeing more of this Empath shit and Lilith guardian in the next film/album tbh!

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

Which are the bad songs on crybaby for you?

Cry Baby, Carousel, Mad Hatter and Pity Party are not good imo. They are too generic or don't have a good hook. But that's only my opinion. 

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3260-1375807715-35.

Remember how (when explaining the meaning behind Alphabet boy) she was talking about not following the 'formula' and 'rules' of making a song? Well it seems to me like she threw all of that out the window for K-12 because the formula of those songs are the epitome of generic.

And if she thinks adding some unexpected noises here and there like random background banging, telephones ringing, writing on a chalk board, coughing, sneezing and scraping makes her production more improved/genius and her best work yet, well.... i don't think she understands what her fans loved about her first album so much.

Crybaby was cohesive in the way that it made such a good story and each song was so individual, even the instrumentals themselves told a story. Highlights of that album were... every second of every song tbh, and I remember having to take it slow getting to know the album cause it was all so good I couldn't handle it. 

But with K-12 it's cohesive in the way that we can't even remember certain instrumentals from the album, and the highlights of the album are what? one or two songs that still don't match the production she used to have?

I hope we do get the K-12 instrumentals though, cause I'm begging for something to change my mind. I want to do a full on analysis of the album like I usually do but I feel like I just don't have enough to go on. This album hasn't been enough for me:/

the songs on K-12 that DONT follow the "narrative" are literally my favs... Show & Tell and Strawberry Shortcake prove that she could do an album without the Cry Baby character and still SLAY

We known that since we became aware of songs like Night Mime, You Love I, Haunted.. still don't know how she's milking the crybaby character in 2019

R5sPD4M.jpg