PARADIXO

Born to Die Turns Half a Decade Old!

Radio is amazing... it's like Dark Paradise in fact of melodies, they get stuck in your head. I remember i got obsessed with radio and used to play it everyday ahah I love the lyrics too "now my life is sweet like cinnamon, like a fking dream I'm living iinnnn" iconic.

OTTR is one of the best songs I've ever heard and probably the best I've heard from her. The amount of lyrics and storyline she puts in one song is crazy :crying4: literally everytime I hear it, it takes me on a trip. The bridge (I had to look up if it's the bridge because I don't know how to break down songs yet but the lyric that starts with "My old man is a thief, and..." and ends with "As you do now, my man") is the best thing I've ever heard and is so meaningful. I love

Off To The Races so much.

YES to everything you said. Off to the Races is a masterpiece :icant:

Radio is a cute song but I'd wish she kept the alternative lyrics for it, the ones she sang at the iTunes Festival in 2012 "I heard the street were paved with gold, at least that's what my father said" or something like that

Plus did anyone ever ask themselves how she wrote this in possibly 2010-11 when no radio had ever even heard of her lmao

giphy.gif

Now? Guuurl she went on Letterman THE NEXT DAY after SNL and did 600 times better.

And i looooove Radio.

Exactly, so idk why people still defend those awful SNL vocals

OT: Radio snatched me

Oh my, I didn't catch OTTR !!!

Well what can I say about this song... In a nutshell, this is a record that still makes me vibrate to this day. There's just something about it, it's so unique.

In terms of vocal textures, Lana display a full palette of colours, tones and range. Slow and almost monocordious at first, then picking up in pace, in a hectic race (pun intended) before resting a bit... She reaches a climax after the final chorus, where she just ad libs and soars.

Regarding the lyrics, I must say (and I said that a few times already on this thread, but it's true) I had never heard an artist singing about a similar relationship in such a decor. It feels so ominous, (Riker Island, Cocaïne, Bad and Tough man...), glamourous (swimming pool, cognac, cigar, races) and yet romantic (I love you forever not maybe, you are my one true love, light of his life...). You know what, I just noticed last year that the Rhymes aren't always the best since she sometimes simply repeat a word ("has me by my heart/with every beat of his cocaine heart". Also "he's got a soul as sweet as blood red jam/ he knows me every inch if my tar black soul"). But that just didn't catch my attention because you're immerges into a moving picture, a love story, a dangerous one, full of suspense and it's got ups and downs and such an ending that it leaves you wanting more !

As for the instrumental... If you think it's overproduced, I won't say "I get it" this time. I LOVE IT as it is. (I still like the BTD Sampler version we got though). But this fusion of luscious strings and hard knocking hip hop beats is just out of this world ! The samples give it that edge, too, ugh it's just too much for words. The ending gets me every time, it's just so poignant, full of hope in a way but also of luring doom and sorrow.

It's a shame we never got a high end music video for this song but it's alright, it's so vivid that I can picture it in my mind without problem.

In conclusion, this is one of the BTD songs that makes me roll my eyes when somebody wants to degrade the album, without constructive arguments because it's a masterpiece.

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

“Lucky Ones”

This romantic ballad is the last bonus track on Born to Die and one of Lana's earliest collaborations with Honeymoon co-producer Kieron Menzies. Lana has never performed this song live nor even acknowledged its existence.

“Radio”

The happiest track on Born to Die is another collaboration with songwriter Justin Parker dedicated to those guys who told Del Rey she would never make it as a singer.

“How do you like me now?” :legend:

I missed this one but this is the song that really got me into Lana and it holds a special place in my heart <3 

"Now my life is sweet like cinnamon"

tumblr_ov81kxfRAq1t0t62zo1_500.gif

Lucky Ones is so so painfully underrated :( Its one of my personal favorites on BTD.

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

“Radio”

The happiest track on Born to Die is another collaboration with songwriter Justin Parker dedicated to those guys who told Del Rey she would never make it as a singer.

“How do you like me now?” :legend:

Radio is one of Lana's best songs. 

image.png

Lucky Ones is so so painfully underrated :(

It really is, it's such a shame that so many people don't seem to like Without You, Radio and, of course, Lucky Ones! It is such a beautiful song, the lyrics are really cute and she just sounds so in love in this song.  :flutter: The demo is great too.

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

Lucky Ones is honestly so beautiful and express such an emotion! It's so pure and sincere, I want to fall in love whenever I hear this song! :flutter: I like the demo better now than the first time I heard. I remember that I liked the guitar, but the beat was so heavy that just seemed to take away the magic of the song  :toofunny: . However, it sounded like she wanted to finish the album with something a little more fun? Like "YAY! We are finally the lucky ones!", maybe even a Lizzy Grant version  :candy: . But then she decided to end with a more heaven-ish version, which I think it fitted better with "Lana Del Rey" and the lyrics(it was asking for a ballad imho).  :whatever:

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593